shuld i do 4u? :S (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
KeypadSDM said:
That's a bit extreme, I'm sure no one spends that much time on maths. Or they just don't sleep.
If you want to do well in 4 unit, be prepared to fall asleep doing past papers, alot of them. Upwards of 50.
:uhhuh: <hshsahA>

mojako

HSC
poor girl...
at my school the 4U class has the most freedom of all
a bit like uni

Giant Lobster

HSC
Id recommend 4u maths to people who are naturally good at quantitative thinking (i.e. if your other subjects are sciences (Not biology!))

and you certainly dont need 4 hrs a day for maths throughout

Well in my case, I was enthusiastic with maths and I did that 4+ hrs a day of maths in year 11... I started in june / july with 0% 3u knowledge and finished learning all 4u content by the end of the summer holidays btn yr 11 / yr 12. So if you dont need to do that, you don tneed 4+ hrs / day of maths

psych_girl

HSC
hahaha

dangerousdave said:
I think you should do 4U. My 4U teacher keeps teeling us that 4U is fun...
hahaha......teachers always do that........wanna students to do the sub that they teach. Guess what? My 4U math teacher used to ask us to do math in uni.....I think shes mad....lalala

unmentionable

HSC
4u maths isnt as hard as people make it out to be (unless ur just not a maths person)

economics is easy because u just have to remember and regurgitate the textbook

if you consider urself a maths person (ie not exactly LIKe maths but dont mind it or prefer it over other subjects) then i recommend 4u maths if not u could always drop it o.o

Giant Lobster

HSC
unmentionable said:
(ie not exactly LIKe maths but dont mind it or prefer it over other subjects) then i recommend 4u maths if not u could always drop it o.o
exactly
you dont necessarily need to like maths, just not hate it. Some people hate maths and do 4u anyway for the scaling (usually greedy girls that fair better in english and history type subjects), they are the ones that do poorly in the course and complain that its hard and fk up the scaling while they're at it

icxdragon

HSC
N/A
hasterz said:
If you do 4 unit math and want to get good, expect to study 4 hours math per day
got it right on the dot. 4u maths leaches all your time esp. if youre not crash hot at it. Alot of pplz at school are having trouble with it (you should hear the cursing), but if you dont mind putting the effort in, and you dont mind mahts, then its definately the way to go

psych_girl

HSC
Eco? Math?

unmentionable said:
4u maths isnt as hard as people make it out to be (unless ur just not a maths person)

economics is easy because u just have to remember and regurgitate the textbook

if you consider urself a maths person (ie not exactly LIKe maths but dont mind it or prefer it over other subjects) then i recommend 4u maths if not u could always drop it o.o
Math is hard...But economics is even harder than 4U math.....

the integrator

HSC
The Integrator says:

The integrator does not think you can handle 4 unit (or poor unit, as i like to call it). Based on the quality of your posts i think you would be struggling to to intermediate primary school maths

Peace Out,
and remember
"Eleven plus two" is an anagram of "Twelve plus one"

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
personally i had too many time consuming subjects to do 4U maths. i ended up choosing to just stick with 3U, and just dropped extension english for extension history.

as like most people have said, only do 4U if you are committed to hardcore study or if you are a natural talent in maths. if neither suits your repetriore, don't even think about it.

in this subject, it is not whether you think you can do it. you must have your mind set at certainly can do. or else you will have struggled even before you actually attempt the subject.

Dabbu

Near the bush, the beach, the mountains, the river
HSC
You've probably decided by now, but:

Speak to both teachers - they know you and your abilities and therefore should know how you will cope with their courses.

Try doing both just for this term. If you find it hard, just try to keep up and put in a little extra time. Any time lost this term is easily found during your 6 (or so) week break.

After this term, make your decision. Further discussion with teachers will help. Preview the upcoming topics, maybe talk to more people who did it and then make your decision.

If that term wasn't too hard then just think: you're a quarter of the way through. If your aren't going great, yet are happy with where you are and the time you are spending then keep it cause it's great support for the 3u and the scaling goes through the roof (6/8 questions =~90% (no i'm not stupid, its the scaling))

But remember, the main thing is the chit chat with the teacher people, cause they have prob seen it all before.

(ps. if i repeated anything anyone else said, it's cause i got bored halfway through reading comments and just skipped to the end. no repetition intended)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)