SMH Article on Paper 2 (1 Viewer)

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Do we all accept that "ignorant masses" is a reality, despite the notion being mean to the said masses?

Aren't the intelligent people posting here generally "intelligentsia"? (ignore the leftwing connotations of intelligentsia, however integral they may be to the word)

Is critical thinking really a "common sense"? I reckon it must be learned, in so far as it isn't something we're born with, and thus isn't exactly common sense. But yes, most of us have this ability to discern bullshit from 'truth' (I use the word with great caution... thank you English Advanced), but what of the ignorant masses? Studying it in class enviroment may help them develope this essential skill... I guess this idea only appeals if you think the ignorant masses can be dredged from the depths of their ignorant cess-pools.

And the ignorant masses aren't restricted to any economic or social class, just as I'd like to think the intelligentsia also exists in all strata of society... but alas, it appears to be a distinctly middle-class phenomena... don't take to much attention to this last paragraph, it is peripheral and more for entertainment than my other arguments/points, as made in the above paragraphs.

To those trying to stifle intelligent debate (becoming difficult to find on BoS) please return to the ignorant masses you came from.

I apologize for the amount of time's I've said "ignorant masses" in this post, anyone have some synonyms for it?

AlabasterMan

Outside, looking in. Inside, looking out.
HSC
fleepbasding said:
Do we all accept that "ignorant masses" is a reality, despite the notion being mean to the said masses?

Aren't the intelligent people posting here generally "intelligentsia"? (ignore the leftwing connotations of intelligentsia, however integral they may be to the word)

Is critical thinking really a "common sense"? I reckon it must be learned, in so far as it isn't something we're born with, and thus isn't exactly common sense. But yes, most of us have this ability to discern bullshit from 'truth' (I use the word with great caution... thank you English Advanced), but what of the ignorant masses? Studying it in class enviroment may help them develope this essential skill... I guess this idea only appeals if you think the ignorant masses can be dredged from the depths of their ignorant cess-pools.

And the ignorant masses aren't restricted to any economic or social class, just as I'd like to think the intelligentsia also exists in all strata of society... but alas, it appears to be a distinctly middle-class phenomena... don't take to much attention to this last paragraph, it is peripheral and more for entertainment than my other arguments/points, as made in the above paragraphs.

To those trying to stifle intelligent debate (becoming difficult to find on BoS) please return to the ignorant masses you came from.

I apologize for the amount of time's I've said "ignorant masses" in this post, anyone have some synonyms for it?
What a good HSC student you must be. You appear to have studied the thread, and then written a post containing everything that someone else already said. I'm going to call you Eustace, for the obvious association with 'useless.'
Prove your worth, or become the synonym you search for.

AlabasterMan

Outside, looking in. Inside, looking out.
HSC
danni8u said:
go and study!!! you guys have no lives...esp the ones who have posted more than 100 posts....you guys are sad
Go up a few posts. One of your friends posted there saying hi. He has 1880 posts at the moment. According to you, he should be committing suicide about now.
...Not a very nice person, are you?
Saying that about one of your friends.
At a time of such high stress.
I'd be ashamed to be you.
You bitch.

Theodopolis

HSC
Rafy said:
But yeh, thats exactly why i refuse to speak to the media. They take what you actually said, add hyperbole, and churn it out as your real opinion. bleh.

I mean, we all know you're constantly ignoring Kerry O'Brien's pleas for an interview...

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Theodopolis said:
I mean, we all know you're constantly ignoring Kerry O'Brien's pleas for an interview...
yes, it is quite annoying having the AB, friggin C, constantly hounding me with interview requests -_-

Kutar Maggi

They call me nigga man
HSC
The media is cool, cause they have people on tv and if u get to get into the media you get to be on tv and then become famous. I want to be a media.

Ultraviolent

Contemptuous Member
Uranus. lolololo do you see what I did there?! do
HSC
AlabasterMan said:
What a good HSC student you must be. You appear to have studied the thread, and then written a post containing everything that someone else already said. I'm going to call you Eustace, for the obvious association with 'useless.'
Whoa! Way to be over hostile for hostilitiy's sake. fleepbasding made a coherent and insightful post, which is more than I can say for many others in this thread. Perhaps you could use your energy to drive the morons out? See above for one such example.

fleepbasding: you could use "herd", "sheep", "peons", or "proles". Personally, I'm fond of "mindless rabble".

Theodopolis

HSC
Ultraviolent said:
: you could use "herd", "sheep", "peons", or "proles". Personally, I'm fond of "mindless rabble".

My favourite must be 'Swinish Multitude'

Such eloquence in the service of malicious negativity is rarely seen these days.

The official term for such working-class gatherings of 5 or more people really has to be 'Hoi Polloi'

Ultraviolent

Contemptuous Member
Uranus. lolololo do you see what I did there?! do
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Sir, I have recently bought a plumbing unit from your local branch/store and it is not working on my light fixtures. I have written the main office and they have told me to reply to you. I would like to be fully reimbused for my product as it does not work could you Sir please write me back thank you Sir I am kindly appreciative.
Wow! D.J in disguise :eek:

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
AlabasterMan said:
ok. I challenged the notion that critical thinking is a common sense. I asked if people here consider themselves "intelligentsia". Neither of which I've seen expressed in such terms in the thread, nor responded to by the likes of you.

I'm sorry if my posts aren't all blatant attempts at self-aggrandizement in the form of petty insults.

What's the alternative to the current syllabus, or rather what do YOU think is the alternative? Back to the "old method" of studying the "Western canon"? (excuse the simplified terminology, but I think everyone here knows what I'm referring to)

It seems that making a post on topic in this late and degenerate phase of this thread is not welcome.

By the way have you read a David Ive's play that explores the theory of monkeys typing Shakespeare you referred to earlier? I doubt that many have read it, but it's quite amusing.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Im so glad that an english syllabus has managed to create a bunch of anti-media drones that make the same tired arguments constantly.

I don't believe the syllabus makes people critical thinkers at all, it just puts forward a perspective on issues that every student must follow in order to achieve well. I think it would be much better to give people basic skills of research / writing / arithmatic - THEN allow them to use their skills to explore their world and develop critical thinking abilities and strong opinions.

RyddeckerSMP

Go The Knights!
HSC
Schroedinger said:
What do we propose? A skills based National Standards Exam. Where at school we're taught HOW TO SPELL, CORRECT PUNCTUATION/SYNTAX. Etc.

You know, actual INFORMATION. Useful skills. You can learn 'critical thinkin' if you are bereft of it in a Media Studies University Course.
Then how do you rank people's merit towards attaining a spot in a university course? Who has the most money?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
What the hell are you on about? Stop trying to make this issue into some class struggle...
It is a matter of creating a uniform national exam that measures students performance by testing their basic skills.

RyddeckerSMP

Go The Knights!
HSC
Yay! Basic Skills! Let's work towards the lowest common demoninator! Awesome!

What happens then when they get into university and they have absolutely no idea becuase all they can do is spell and construct sentences properly? Great idea that one.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yay! Basic Skills! Let's work towards the lowest common demoninator! Awesome!
Well more complicated skills are usually just a formulation of basic skills. I don't see how developing basic skills is working towards the 'lowest common denominator', I also don't think you understand what that expression really means, perhaps proof that you haven't become much of a critical thinker and are just a ball of quotes and catch phrases?

This is what I said in my previous post -

I don't believe the syllabus makes people critical thinkers at all, it just puts forward a perspective on issues that every student must follow in order to achieve well. I think it would be much better to give people basic skills of research / writing / arithmatic - THEN allow them to use their skills to explore their world and develop critical thinking abilities and strong opinions.

Last edited:

RyddeckerSMP

Go The Knights!
HSC
I'm a fool that's regurgiating ideas that i have been taught? Assumptions must really be a Liberal trait, becuase i cannot remember in my 6 years at Baulko that we were ever told that the HSC is the greatest thing ever created. Obviously your ideas about what really happenned are more important.

And as to intelligence tests, what about those who have worked hard and put in the effort to deserve going to university? An intelligence test is something that working hard for won't achive much. The HSC as it currently stands is the perfect mix really, and definately not easy.

Testing basic skills is working towards the lowest common demoninator. Where did you say that you would actually teach the complex skills needed for university? Must have missed that bit. We have the School Certificate already if you are so worried about basic skills.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)