SMH Plain English Speaking Award (1 Viewer)

hidemyass

HSC
N/A
Anyone participating in the SMH Plain English Speaking Award for 2012?

hidemyass

HSC
N/A
Yeah I am, haven't written my speech though cause I can't decide on a topic lol. What year are you in?
I am :). Its my first time :p, i'm so noob. Can you help me for the impromtu speech?
What zones are you competing in?

@darlking: Impromptu is any topic they give you and you have to speak about it, not much you can prepare on paper before hand...

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Would have no idea what the zone's called, but a massive area cause it's non metropolitan,

Have you been in it before hidemyass? I've done public speaking before but never this one.

I like impromptu things, prepared speeches are more work :p

hidemyass

HSC
N/A
Would have no idea what the zone's called, but a massive area cause it's non metropolitan,

Have you been in it before hidemyass? I've done public speaking before but never this one.

I like impromptu things, prepared speeches are more work :p
Yes, I have. :smile:

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
The secret in doing impromptu speeches is to be yourself in my opinion.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Hi, I got to the interregional finals for this comp in year 11, so I could probs give some advice.

1. Its best to memorise your speech or if you still use cards, use them minimally and only if you get stuck.
2. Modulate your tone, dont have the same one throughout
3. Have an interesting topic, if its not unique then make sure you cover unique ground on the topic, perhaps presebt a different point of view.
4. For your prepared make sure you care about and are passionate about what you are talking about.
5. Try to make the topic relevant to current events
6. For the prep time for the impromptu dont waste time writing a speech but note down key points and use most of your time to gather your thoughts.
7. Don't stress, its all fun :)

Good luck!

hidemyass

HSC
N/A
The secret in doing impromptu speeches is to be yourself in my opinion.
I agree.

Hi, I got to the interregional finals for this comp in year 11, so I could probs give some advice.

1. Its best to memorise your speech or if you still use cards, use them minimally and only if you get stuck.
2. Modulate your tone, dont have the same one throughout
3. Have an interesting topic, if its not unique then make sure you cover unique ground on the topic, perhaps presebt a different point of view.
4. For your prepared make sure you care about and are passionate about what you are talking about.
5. Try to make the topic relevant to current events
6. For the prep time for the impromptu dont waste time writing a speech but note down key points and use most of your time to gather your thoughts.
7. Don't stress, its all fun :)

Good luck!
I heard that you're not allowed to refer or link your impromptu speech back to your prepared speech...?

mirakon

nigga
HSC
That is probably true. The essence of the impromptu is to think on ur feet, not to simply regurgitate what u said earlier.

darlking

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know what the layout of the place will be? Like, will there be the people doing the speech sitting there and listening to you? What should i be prepared for? besides a speech, hahhahaha :l

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Should I do this I dunno it kind of seems interesting, where do I go to read more about it/sign up if I were to do it?

hidemyass

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know what the layout of the place will be? Like, will there be the people doing the speech sitting there and listening to you? What should i be prepared for? besides a speech, hahhahaha :l
Several rows of seats facing you with the adjucator at the back. You probably won't get a lecturn or stage. Definitely no microphones.

darlking

HSC
N/A
Several rows of seats facing you with the adjucator at the back. You probably won't get a lecturn or stage. Definitely no microphones.
Are the people there only the ones doing the speech? or will there be some random students from that school?

hidemyass

HSC
N/A
I think you can have parents, 1 friend per competitor (ask your teacher), your English teacher or staff from your school and the adjudication judge watching.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
So how did you guys go? (Or if you haven't done it just yet, update me when you do).

My speech is getting finished tonight lol, it's not great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)