So what are you guys playing at the moment? (1 Viewer)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Alrighty cool, next time I lose a char in POE I might give TL2 a whirl.

I never finished 1 cos I just did maps over and over grinding out levels (cos im weird like that) so maybe I should finish 1 first actually.
Oh i was talking about 1 in the first place, idk about TL2. I'm not sure what counts as finishing TL anyway, i'm on level 24 or so of the dungeon (out of 35 apparently) I guess that is the only part with the story? I've also been doing the "Through The Portal" quests which seem like side quests.

Tasteless

HSC
Oh i was talking about 1 in the first place, idk about TL2. I'm not sure what counts as finishing TL anyway, i'm on level 24 or so of the dungeon (out of 35 apparently) I guess that is the only part with the story? I've also been doing the "Through The Portal" quests which seem like side quests.
Ah right, yeah I meant in regards to the story.
I really liked TL1 despite abandoning the story entirely in favour of grinding my ass off.
And yup they're sides.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Ah right, yeah I meant in regards to the story.
I really liked TL1 despite abandoning the story entirely in favour of grinding my ass off.
And yup they're sides.
I was a little dissapointed at first that the whole thing is just in that dungeon (hence dungeon crawler i guess haha), but it's actually really conductive to playing a bit here and there. If it were more open ended or didn't have the way points and exit to title saving I might have not kept playing. Are most ARPGs like that to some extent?

Did you ever play any Korean (or I guess any) MMOs lol? If you liked grinding i'd imagine you would enjoy them.

Tasteless

HSC
I was a little dissapointed at first that the whole thing is just in that dungeon (hence dungeon crawler i guess haha), but it's actually really conductive to playing a bit here and there. If it were more open ended or didn't have the way points and exit to title saving I might have not kept playing. Are most ARPGs like that to some extent?

Did you ever play any Korean (or I guess any) MMOs lol? If you liked grinding i'd imagine you would enjoy them.
Older ones yes, diablo 1 is just that, 16 levels of going down the dungeon, 4 levels of normal cathedral dungeon, then dirt floor dungeon (T0t4l ch4nG oF sc3NeRy1!1!!), and it gradually gets more hellish and then back to dark cathedral sorta.

D2/D3/PoE/TQ (and TL2 from what I hear) diversify that by changing up the environments substantially, usually by having 'Acts' to split up the visual/thematic style of the game.

I can't stand MMOs because I don't find the grinding remotely fun like i do in ARPGs.

I tried WoW on a friends private server with basically 1-3 other people and that was boring as shit (but isnt a fair representation of what WoW would be like I guess)
I tried TERA as well but the grind was just awful and I gave it away pretty quickly.

No Korean ones though, I've heard they're insanely popular over there though, far more than Starcraft even which makes me a bit sad I must admit.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Cool, i'll definitely have to give some more a go then.

I never played WoW (besides private servers) but a lot of the korean mmos (Korean only by the developers, I always played on international servers and can't read/speak korean) are very similar to ARPGs if Torchlight is anything to go off. The grinding in some of them is crazy though.

I used to play a game called Silkroad Online and almost everyone above a certain level used bots and buying gold/rare items as well as a lot of stuff off the item mall was very popular. It was easy to see why though, when I was last on a couple of years ago it would take 2 weeks of 24/7 botting to get from level 109 to 110 (the cap back then iirc) It was just so pointless though, the only real end game was fortress war every 2 weeks where you pvped against other guilds/unions to try and take over a towns fortress which would allow you to set an npc tax of 10%.

There was a "trading" system in the game which was pretty cool where you could be a thief, trader or (thief) hunter but they made some weird changes to it and it was already pretty dead. I had fun with that as a noob though. It would have been a fun game back in like the 70 or 80 cap but it seemed like the game died a bit each time they increased the level cap.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
have a sudden urge to play planescape torment again

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
is PoE free guys, if so I may check it out. Does anyone know if neverwinter mmo or teso are going to be free or subscription?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
is PoE free guys, if so I may check it out. Does anyone know if neverwinter mmo or teso are going to be free or subscription?
PoE is free. Neverwinter will be free. TESO will probably do an Old Republic.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Ugh. Downloading Crusader Kings II two days before a 100% weighted exam was a terrible choice Aaron.

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
PoE is free. Neverwinter will be free. TESO will probably do an Old Republic.
I looked at the PoE page and it looked at they relied on microtransactions heavily for actual gear, I hope it's only for cosmetic features or exp boosts only!

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I looked at the PoE page and it looked at they relied on microtransactions heavily for actual gear, I hope it's only for cosmetic features or exp boosts only!
They are either aesthetic additions or things like extra slots.

Tasteless

HSC
Cool, i'll definitely have to give some more a go then.

I never played WoW (besides private servers) but a lot of the korean mmos (Korean only by the developers, I always played on international servers and can't read/speak korean) are very similar to ARPGs if Torchlight is anything to go off. The grinding in some of them is crazy though.

I used to play a game called Silkroad Online and almost everyone above a certain level used bots and buying gold/rare items as well as a lot of stuff off the item mall was very popular. It was easy to see why though, when I was last on a couple of years ago it would take 2 weeks of 24/7 botting to get from level 109 to 110 (the cap back then iirc) It was just so pointless though, the only real end game was fortress war every 2 weeks where you pvped against other guilds/unions to try and take over a towns fortress which would allow you to set an npc tax of 10%.

There was a "trading" system in the game which was pretty cool where you could be a thief, trader or (thief) hunter but they made some weird changes to it and it was already pretty dead. I had fun with that as a noob though. It would have been a fun game back in like the 70 or 80 cap but it seemed like the game died a bit each time they increased the level cap.
Hmm intredasting, might check them out if I ever get bored with what I've got.

It's all cosmetics except extra stash tabs (definitely recommend picking up an extra 4 or so if you get into it unless you can manage with the 4 default ones, game is free after all), and extra character slots (but you have 20 or 24 by default so they're not overly necessary imo).

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Decided to look at the Diablo Warchest at EB (and everywhere else) today. Turns out Blizzard removed the original Diablo from it at some point and there is no legitimate way of buying it unless you find old stock.

Tasteless

HSC
Decided to look at the Diablo Warchest at EB (and everywhere else) today. Turns out Blizzard removed the original Diablo from it at some point and there is no legitimate way of buying it unless you find old stock.
That's interesting, wonder wassup with that.

I'd have thought for sure timeless classics like d1, wc1 and wc2 would still be available

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
That's interesting, wonder wassup with that.

I'd have thought for sure timeless classics like d1, wc1 and wc2 would still be available
It's a shame, I guess they removed it out of the bundle because they didn't think it would affect sales and they probably save a fair bit not having to print the D1 strategy guide which is reasonable especially since I think they dropped the price. But it should be available to purchase online! Need to try and hunt down an unsold old bundle haha. The woman at EB reckoned it had always been just D2 + expansions so maybe it's been like that for a long time.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
It's a shame, I guess they removed it out of the bundle because they didn't think it would affect sales and they probably save a fair bit not having to print the D1 strategy guide which is reasonable especially since I think they dropped the price. But it should be available to purchase online! Need to try and hunt down an unsold old bundle haha. The woman at EB reckoned it had always been just D2 + expansions so maybe it's been like that for a long time.
From what I've read, there's no CD key for Diablo 1 so it would be difficult to authenticate a copy using the DRM system Blizzard currently use unless they code something to do that. In that case, is it worth the cost doing that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)