So you think you want a motorcycle? (1 Viewer)

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
no it wouldn't. gear lever is kinda visible above the stand

+ i have the clutch in
Good, id have to ask why.

BTW i havnt gotten out of the suburb and some tool already tried to run me off the road.

Set Up rocks.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Automatic motorcycles built after 1983: a comprehensive listing

That is all.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I think i saw one of those today near hurstville.

BTW any idea why my bike refuses to rev up? As i stated i took it for a spin but everytime i get to a intersection and downshift to 1st the bike refuses to rev up and makes a chugga chugga noise instead of my lovely voom voom noise it usually makes.

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A
only two people tried to drive me off the road today, and these were on quiet local streets

to their credit, everyone else was really good, nice, played by the road rules and whatever

quik.

HSC
I generally find that it is p easy to tell which drivers are retarded

Thus easy to adjust what you are doing for their lack of attention etc

Edit: Bos rideout tbh

ktinn

HSC
Thinking of learning how to ride a motorcycle - do you guys think a KLR650 is too big / heavy a bike to learn on?

If i were to get that bike i would most defiantly not want to drop it but being a dual sport it should be able to handle it.

Is it worth my time and money to get a smaller bike first?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
The KLR650 is an awesome first bike. Weight generally isn't a problem, what you might find more of an issue is the height. Because all the weight is carried way up high, much higher than a roadbike, it can be a bit more awkward at low speeds till you get used to it.

Many new riders don't feel comfortable on something when they can't touch the ground with both feet at the same time, which will be the case with the KLR unless you're eight feet tall. If you feel uncomfortable on a bike for any reason in the first place, not being able to touch the ground will only magnify your discomfort. Otherwise, riding a tall bike is something you quickly become comfortable with.

As you say, it'll handle a drop if it does happen, better than a road bike.

You might want to look at a DR650. Similar to a KLR, but about 29kg lighter from the specs I'm looking at. The DR is generally regarded as a bit better dirt bike, but the KLR is a better tourer in stock form, due to a more comfortable seat and bigger tank.

Last edited:

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A
Hows it goin snowfox?

around 2pm today i decided to try the local highway (dual carriageway, 80kmh, straight line) so i could get experience on faster roads and stuff but also put the bike through its paces

it's a lot faster than i expected it to be! I reckon it got to 80kmh in about 6 seconds mebbe.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Not bad, didnt take it out today, silly bike is not building up revs, might have to fix the carbi and check the plug for fouling.

BTW does anyone know that pub in picton where all the bike riders go, that would be a good place for a BoS ride to start, good winding roads and very open streets so we can see tarts.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
4 days with license, 20 mins riding time, 20 hours fixing the fucker.

CMON!!!!!

ktinn

HSC
The KLR650 is an awesome first bike. Weight generally isn't a problem, what you might find more of an issue is the height. Because all the weight is carried way up high, much higher than a roadbike, it can be a bit more awkward at low speeds till you get used to it.

Many new riders don't feel comfortable on something when they can't touch the ground with both feet at the same time, which will be the case with the KLR unless you're eight feet tall. If you feel uncomfortable on a bike for any reason in the first place, not being able to touch the ground will only magnify your discomfort. Otherwise, riding a tall bike is something you quickly become comfortable with.

As you say, it'll handle a drop if it does happen, better than a road bike.

You might want to look at a DR650. Similar to a KLR, but about 29kg lighter from the specs I'm looking at. The DR is generally regarded as a bit better dirt bike, but the KLR is a better tourer in stock form, due to a more comfortable seat and bigger tank.
Cheers Graney im 6'1" so ive actually thought that maybe there'd be some bikes out there that are too small for me to ride - never thought about them being too big.

I want to eventually do some touring on it so im not too fussed about having top notch dirt credintials but would need to be able to do dirt roads.

But yeah thanks for the advice you've just sealed the deal for me i reckon - wont bother with starting on a smaller bike.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
oh come on guy - it's only my second day. i'm think i'm progressing well although, to be fair, i haven't really dealt with real traffic yet.

don't particularly want to either.
jump in the deep end bro you (literally) won't get anywhere if you keep lapping your block

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)