• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Soccer talk eg. prem league, champ league, serie a etc (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
england arent traditionally, hold the possesion, offensive teams. look at their mids, gerrard, beckham, they arent exactly looking to link 50 consecutive <10m passes....

^___^
HSC
but why would they place short passes...think of it...Beckham has got the ability to land pin pt crosses...scholes have the vision to see who is where in the offensive half of the field...gerrad sometimes can crack a nice shot..so england's mid dun really need to do slick passes to get forward...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I think it's a consequence of the one-touch football in England... and such a style of football places alot more stress on defenders who can easily be exposed by MFs which don't work hard enough.

^___^
HSC
very true...cos england midgfield has a lot of workload...come to think of it..

Eriksson adapted a diamond midfield...gerrard is placed in front of campbell and terry(or usually ferdinand *shakes fist at FA* ) and his job is to intercept plays and bring the ball forward...
and scholes, playing in the hole..assist gerrad in bring up the ball and sometimes making contribution in defence...although this might be the case for many other teams...come think of it...

as soon as scholes spreads the ball to Becks...Becks either:
cross to centre hoping beattie or owen gets a head on it
or
runs in midfield and try to expose gaps for scholes and his forwards to run into it...

now as soon as this happens, gerrad needs to be alert and cover for becks on the right..this happens a lot of time...but gerrard said he doesn't mind...

however, from this simple one play...it consist of like 3players just to bring the ball up...u can imagine how much workload they do...

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
thats what i meant, they dun play madrid style and they dun hold the ball long enough or a decent enuff attack to have a go-for-broke offense and have 3 backs to save the day every 1 and half minutes...

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
I think the English team could create some good attacks with a formation similar to Real Madrids. They certainly have the players to do it;

Beckham is strong both on the right wing (crosses) and thru the centre (through-balls). Scholes is excellent at hovering outside the 18 yard box and cracking long drives. Joe Cole can run with the ball, beat opponents then play a killer pass. Gerrard is a great ball winner and his long passes are very accurate and Lampard can find just about anyone with a long-ball, and shoot from distance.

These are the same qualities as Real Madrid.. you could almost compare their players this way, like;

Beckham-Beckham
Lampard-Figo
JCole-Zidane
Scholes-Raul
Owen-Ronaldo

I think playing in a way similar to Real Madrid would bring alot more goals and make their games exciting to watch. Of course England's defence is much better than Real Madrid's, so they would also concede less than Real does (1-2 goals per game) meaning scorelines like 4-1 and 3-0 would be possible even against the bigger teams.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Hmm... Eriksson hasn't really got much choice ... considerin' he's selected players who are use to the already mentioned style of play, which is unfortunate.

*Goes to post in ACST Soccer thread*

^___^
HSC
i dunno...it all comes down to Eriksson up front formation...(and his left mid decision)

if Eriksson decides to play Heskey and Beattie...i tip England to win...believe me, i think Heskey is cruical if he is on the ball...Vassell has the pace...but only Hesky has the physical strength to knock Beck's cross to Beattie(cos Beattie has a better movement/positioning than Vassell...)

so i tip a draw actually... 2-2

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I personally think they should pack the midfield with 5, and just have a lone striker (with Scholes from MF in support). Because England will be harder to crack with 5 in midfield, even on the counter.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
1 striker is risky i reckon without owen as if they dun dominate, they'll lack options and much easier to close down

1-1

Generator

HSC
N/A
It's amazing... Why do you all appear to be supporters of the English team?

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
im just proud the first choice keeper is from my west ham team in the division 1!

HSC
turkiye! nah man i know if the turks win i know i will never hear the end of it from my turk friends..plus auburn will be going nutss!

will they be airing the game?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Who would've guessed that scoreline? :p

We don't all support England, we just want an entertaining match... and seem to know more about English football than others (expect for maybe - Italian and Spanish football).

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
Yeah i guessed that scoreline...

Did anyone see the Italia-Azerbaijan match? Vieri got pissed and threw a bottle at Trap.... the tension!

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
The England-Turkey match was alright... but there was nothing special except for the Beckham highlight... otherwise a back and forth / finisher's-on-strike kind of game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)