• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Soccer Thread : 2004-05 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Robinho reveals Arsenal talks

Robinho reveals Gunners talks

Brazilian wonderkid Robinho admits that Arsenal have been in contact with his representatives about a sensational move for the Santos man.

Robinho has long been touted as the next big star to emerge from the historically football rich grounds of Brazil, and both Real Madrid and Chelsea are believed to hold a strong interest.

The 21-year-old has broken in to the Brazilian national setup after consistently dazzling displays for Santos, and has been praised by Pele amongst others for his prodigious technique and ability.

Despite initially remaining cautious about interest from Arsene Wenger's side, Robinho has now conceded that he is in talks with The Gunners and would love to play alongside French star Thierry Henry.

"Arsenal have been in touch with my people in the last few days and they have made me aware of the offer," Robinho told the News of the World.

"I am very proud that they are looking at me because a club like Arsenal doesn't come in for you every day.

"It would be a dream for me to play alongside Thierry Henry, we will continue to talk."

Arsenal will reportedly launch a £14 million bid for his services, and if Robinho makes the move to Highbury he would join the likes of Robin van Persie and Jose Antonio Reyes in a strike-force blessed with fledgling talent.

However, after being strongly linked with a move to sign the talented youngster in the January transfer window, Real Madrid remain at the head of the queue for his prized signature.

The fuck :eek:....

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Sneaking Robinho from under the nose of Madrid would be Wenger's greatest transfer achievement. He won't be overly expensive either. First time transfers from South America straight into Europe don't tend to be anyway. Personally I hope he'll go to Madrid though. That might drain their coffers enough to let us get Joaquin.

I'm not sure who we're taking the spot from. The UEFA President says no one, but I don't see how that works. Maybe they'll make United play Everton in the playoffs ;)

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
I think Robinho is too small for the Premiership anyway. He's only 170cm tall and weighs a ridiculously small 60kgs. He'd shock a few teams in Europe though.

As for the Champions League spot, I like the idea of a two-legged Liverpool v Everton playoff to kick off next season. Talk about a hot way to start the season.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
HeCtic said:
As for the badges, in three seasons time we'll have one too ;)
Hahahaha thatz very optimistic of you.

And Robinho goin to Arsenal, hmm, I can't quite see that happenin.
Iz it just me or iz it that Chelsea and Madrid are linked to everyone...?

HSC
jim_green said:
I'm not sure who we're taking the spot from. The UEFA President says no one, but I don't see how that works. Maybe they'll make United play Everton in the playoffs ;)
I don't know if someone has already mentioned it but the Welsh premiers put forward a proposal saying that they would play against us in a one off match and the winner will take their Champion's league spot. Supposedly it would give us a fair chance to defend the trophy whilst increasing publicity for their club, I don't know how reliable the story was though, seeing as how this is football and all, theres 1000s of false articles for every real one

Crazy Horse

HSC
HeCtic said:
I think Robinho is too small for the Premiership anyway. He's only 170cm tall and weighs a ridiculously small 60kgs. He'd shock a few teams in Europe though.

As for the Champions League spot, I like the idea of a two-legged Liverpool v Everton playoff to kick off next season. Talk about a hot way to start the season.
Ridiculously small? Garcia is 177ish - 67kg, Nunez is 173 - 64kg. Finnan is like 178.

Yea I like the idea of playing Everton and beating them so that we can go on to win CL again...

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I'd like that too. Another proposal put forward is that Liverpool represents not as an English representative, but as a representative of UEFA, hence getting around the '5 English teams' thing. That's quite logical too I think.

To be fair Diana, Garcia hasn't really shown his best form in the league, and Nunez is just poor. So they're pretty lousy examples. I'd prefer to think of Robinho as a much, much better Juninho.

Crazy Horse

HSC
Fernando Torres!!!! I've had my eye on him for a while - his a fantastic player!

LMF^^ said:
I would be thrilled to have either one of em, but I prefer Torres mo over Owen.
I agree. I would definitely choose Torres over Owen. Although I think Michael’s a good player as blackfriday puts it..

blackfriday said:
fernando torres is an awesome player and he will be one of the greatest when he matures
jim_green said:
Guys, there is no reason to get fussed over Torres. He is not better than Michael Owen, especially not in the EPL. Owen is a proven marksman in the Premier League, Torres is inconsistent even in La Liga. What's more Athletico have something like a 50 mil Euro buy out clause on him. The money can be better spent elsewhere.
I beg to differ - Torres would be a great buy. Much better than Owen but the money they are asking for him now is way too much. Too bad - would love to see him playing in a Liverpool jersey. Besides you can’t assume he won’t do well in the EPL look at Alonso – he settled in the Premier League remarkably well and he wasn't considered fantastic.

Imagine our starting XI next season if all this is true! Although considering we have Morientes, Cisse and Garcia.........

Crazy Horse

HSC
jim_green said:
To be fair Diana, Garcia hasn't really shown his best form in the league, and Nunez is just poor. So they're pretty lousy examples. I'd prefer to think of Robinho as a much, much better Juninho.
True but that’s not my point - my point was that there are quite a few players in the EPL who aren't that much bigger than Robinho. Garcia hasn’t shown his best form but he definitely has demonstrated flashes of brilliance so even though his considered small - he can still be effective.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Alwayz Diana said:
Ridiculously small? Garcia is 177ish - 67kg, Nunez is 173 - 64kg. Finnan is like 178.

A guy Robinho's size screams out "Break me" to Robbie Savage and the other assorted thugs in the Premiership.

Crazy Horse

HSC
HeCtic said:
A guy Robinho's size screams out "Break me" to Robbie Savage and the other assorted thugs in the Premiership.
hahahaha! I'm having a mental image - thats so funny.

What if his too fast for them to catch?

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Alwayz Diana said:
What if his too fast for them to catch?
Not like fast players ever get tackled eh?

Also,ohoh for United

Nike warning to Man United
29-May-2005 | ©football365.com

Manchester United have been warned by major sponsors Nike that a continued lack of success could cost them dear.

The sportswear manufacturers began a 13-year kit deal with the Red Devils in August 2002 worth up to £303million to the Old Trafford club.

However, it is reported that a get-out clause will allow Nike to decide in July next year whether to continue that agreement past the 2007-08 season.

And vice-president of sports marketing Ian Todd has admitted his company will be monitoring United's progress following their failure to win a trophy last season.

Todd told The Sunday Telegraph: "We don't know what is going to happen next year. All options are open.

"Chelsea won the league this year, Arsenal won the FA Cup and Liverpool won the Champions League. So you could argue that Manchester United is only the fourth-best club in England at the moment.

"If, for example, Manchester United failed to qualify for the Champions League next season, that might be a problem. We will look very carefully at this situation, as we do with all our sponsorship agreements."

Edit: Vodafone look like they're doing something similar too. Fergie better spend his imaginary 25mill wisely this summer if he's going to win something next season.

Last edited:

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
NEWS OF THE WORLD:

# Franz Beckenbauer, hotly tipped to be the next Uefa President, gives his backing to Liverpool defending their Champions League crown next season

# Andy Johnson pleads with Crystal Palace to let him leave the club - Liverpool, Tottenham and Newcastle are interested in the England striker

# Manchester United are set to seal a £3m raid for Lyon's Brazilian midfielder Juninho

# Arsenal have made a £14m bid to sign Santos striker Robinho

# Ashley Cole, Jose Mourinho and Chelsea will be hit with record fines by the Premier League this week over the Cole tapping-up scandal

# Newcastle will find out in the next 24 hours if they will be handed the green light to make a move for Real Madrid striker Michael Owen, with the Magpies also set to bid for Manchester City star Shaun Wright-Phillips

# England's two-goal hero against the USA Kieran Richardson says he will not quit Manchester United

# Rafael Benitez insists that he will snub any approach from Real Madrid to stay with Liverpool

# Former England defender Mark Wright will be unveiled as the new manager of Peterborough on Tuesday

# Gordon Strachan wants Spurs striker Robbie Keane to be his first signing as Celtic boss

# Wolves want to sign Arsenal duo Justin Hoyte and Jeremie Aliadiere on loan

# Blackburn and West Ham are fighting to sign Brentford defender Sam Sodje

# Sunderland want to re-sign Birmingham midfielder Darren Carter on loan Fulham could move for George Burley if he walks out on Derby

# Marcel Desailly could return to Chelsea as a coach

# Everton have made a £9m double swoop for Chelsea stars Scott Parker and Mikael Forssell Chelsea are closing in on Lyon's £15m-rated midfielder Michael Essien

# Greek stars Traianos Dellas and Angelos Basinas are close to joining Portsmouth

# Jon Macken is set to seal a £750,000 move from Manchester City to Crystal Palace, with City hoping to use Macken as bait to land Andy Johnson

# Charlton are to swoop for QPR defender Danny Shittu, their former trainee

# Liverpool midfielder Didi Hamann is poised to join Bolton, while the Reds are targeting Benfica full-back Miguel and Monaco defender Patrice Evra

# Arsenal could be set to move for Sporting Lisbon keeper Ricardo

# Malcolm Glazer could leave Manchester United with debts of £1.55 billion

PEOPLE:

# Liverpool midfielder Didi Hamann is to sign a new one-year deal with the Reds rather than move to Bolton

# Newcastle will offer Manchester City £10m plus Laurent Robert in return for Shaun Wright-Phillips

# Arsenal want to tie up a season-long loan deal for Ajax winger Daniel de Ridder

# West Ham and Blackburn are keen on Arsenal defender Justin Hoyte

# Manchester United defender John O'Shea is a target for Liverpool, while United have added Cameroon international Carlos Kameni to their list of goalkeeper targets

# Barcelona and Real Madrid are set to make offers for Manchester United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy

# Blackburn could move for Everton's Steve Watson

# Chelsea are close to signing Lyon midfielder Michael Essien in a £20m deal

# Birmingham are battling with Paris St Germain to sign Uruguayan striker Walter Pandiani

# Newcastle want Spurs striker Fredi Kanoute, while Spurs may ask for Jermaine Jenas in return Arsenal are to open negotiations this week with Atletico Madrid for striker Fernando Torres, with Edu or Robert Pires possibly set to move the other way

# Everton have agreed a £3m fee with Chelsea for Mikael Forssell

SUNDAY MIRROR:

# Liverpool are threatening to withdraw from the World Club Championship and European Super Cup if they cannot defend their Champions League title

# Manchester United will eye Roma keeper Gianluca Curci this afternoon

# New Celtic boss Gordon Strachan wants to make Spurs' striker Robbie Keane his first signing

# Former Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier is poised to take over as the new manager of Lyon

# Rangers have offered £1.2m for Southampton striker Kevin Phillips

SUNDAY EXPRESS:

# Manchester United are to step up their interest in Shakhtar Donetsk keeper Jan Lustuvka

# Michael Owen will be told this summer that he has no future at Real Madrid

Again mo keeperz linked to United, and 3mil fo Juninho...? Soundz good to me. But lookz like Chelsea will get Essien.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
# Manchester United are set to seal a £3m raid for Lyon's Brazilian midfielder Juninho

That is a huge bargain if ive ever seen one !!!

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
NEWS OF THE WORLD:

# Franz Beckenbauer, hotly tipped to be the next Uefa President, gives his backing to Liverpool defending their Champions League crown next season

This has already been discussed. Liverpool will definitely go through because every person in Europe wants it bar Wenger, Mancurians, and the blue side of Merseyside.

# Andy Johnson pleads with Crystal Palace to let him leave the club - Liverpool, Tottenham and Newcastle are interested in the England striker

Don't want him. We don't want to make the same mistake that Houllier made by buying 2nd rate players.

3mil for Juninho is a bloody good bargain. He's worth it just for the free kicks. In that department he's better than Becks I reckon.

# Ashley Cole, Jose Mourinho and Chelsea will be hit with record fines by the Premier League this week over the Cole tapping-up scandal

And haven't they had it coming.

# Newcastle will find out in the next 24 hours if they will be handed the green light to make a move for Real Madrid striker Michael Owen, with the Magpies also set to bid for Manchester City star Shaun Wright-Phillips

Magpies need to get to know their place. Players like Owen and SWP just won't go to crummy clubs like Newcastle that are managed by crummy managers like Souness.

# Rafael Benitez insists that he will snub any approach from Real Madrid to stay with Liverpool

He's reaffirmed this many times. It's not even worth a mention.

# Gordon Strachan wants Spurs striker Robbie Keane to be his first signing as Celtic boss

I like Strachan, and I think this deal will work well for him. He's a good manager, but supposedly a much better commentator.

# Everton have made a £9m double swoop for Chelsea stars Scott Parker and Mikael Forssell Chelsea are closing in on Lyon's £15m-rated midfielder Michael Essien

9mil for the pair of them is very cheap. Liverpool should throw in a cheeky 9 mil bid as well and see where they prefer to go. :)

# Greek stars Traianos Dellas and Angelos Basinas are close to joining Portsmouth

Isn't Dellas a world class defender for Roma? Why would he go to Pompey?

LOL.. Shittu

# Liverpool midfielder Didi Hamann is poised to join Bolton, while the Reds are targeting Benfica full-back Miguel and Monaco defender Patrice Evra

Old news, although Hamann has been offered a rolling 1 year contract not dissimilar to Bergkamp's.
PEOPLE:

# Liverpool midfielder Didi Hamann is to sign a new one-year deal with the Reds rather than move to Bolton

# Newcastle will offer Manchester City £10m plus Laurent Robert in return for Shaun Wright-Phillips

We'll offer 15mil, and the player will go where he chooses.
# Manchester United defender John O'Shea is a target for Liverpool, while United have added Cameroon international Carlos Kameni to their list of goalkeeper targets

He'll be a good squad player. We can use him to replace Traore.

# Barcelona and Real Madrid are set to make offers for Manchester United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy

Barca needs to watch it or they'll be headed for the same fate as Madrid.

# Former Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier is poised to take over as the new manager of Lyon

Poor Lyon fans, there goes their sexy football.

Possible, but where would he go? If Arsenal are in for Robinho, surely another striker would be surplus to requirements. I'm sure he'd love to come back to Liverpool, but whether he'll be able to come back depends much on the price. We'll give Madrid 8 mil and return them Nunez :cool:

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
jim_green said:
NEWS OF THE WORLD:

This has already been discussed. Liverpool will definitely go through because every person in Europe wants it bar Wenger, Mancurians, and the blue side of Merseyside.

Don't want him. We don't want to make the same mistake that Houllier made by buying 2nd rate players.

3mil for Juninho is a bloody good bargain. He's worth it just for the free kicks. In that department he's better than Becks I reckon.

And haven't they had it coming.

Magpies need to get to know their place. Players like Owen and SWP just won't go to crummy clubs like Newcastle that are managed by crummy managers like Souness.

He's reaffirmed this many times. It's not even worth a mention.

I like Strachan, and I think this deal will work well for him. He's a good manager, but supposedly a much better commentator.

9mil for the pair of them is very cheap. Liverpool should throw in a cheeky 9 mil bid as well and see where they prefer to go. :)

Isn't Dellas a world class defender for Roma? Why would he go to Pompey?

LOL.. Shittu

Old news, although Hamann has been offered a rolling 1 year contract not dissimilar to Bergkamp's.
PEOPLE:

We'll offer 15mil, and the player will go where he chooses.

He'll be a good squad player. We can use him to replace Traore.

Barca needs to watch it or they'll be headed for the same fate as Madrid.

Poor Lyon fans, there goes their sexy football.

Possible, but where would he go? If Arsenal are in for Robinho, surely another striker would be surplus to requirements. I'm sure he'd love to come back to Liverpool, but whether he'll be able to come back depends much on the price. We'll give Madrid 8 mil and return them Nunez :cool:

-You could probably buy his right bollock for 3 million quid. We're not even sure Glazer will stump out his 20-25 this season anyway. BS story.

- Yeah poor Chelsea, a fine's really gonna hurt them. Transfer ban the cunts. Cole might be off after this though.

-Dellas isn't world class. Highly overrated player who couldn't get into a struggling Roma side. Pompey is about right for him.

-Robinho interest shows we are in the market for a top quality forward, so if Chelsea or Madrid outbid us, Owen is a great fallback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)