Soccer Thread : 2004-05 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I agree. France HAS had to cope with some big retirements in these qualifying matches, but there's still so much talent around for them to choose from. Certainly their squad isn't bad enough to put them at major risk of failing to qualify for the WC, which they certainly are. They should bring Arsene Wenger to replace him ASAP ;)

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Late gem lifts Sydney
A Steve Corica goal three minutes in to stoppage time has given Sydney FC a thrilling 3-2 win over Auckland City in the opening match of the 2005 OFC Club Championship in Tahiti.

*Breathes sigh of relief*

Mark Rudan reinjured his hamstring, though. Nice way for the captain to start :S

And thus, despite a couple of shaky matches, Sydney FC are still yet to lose (or draw) a competitive match. It's good to see that they leave their fans in suspension... until the 93rd minute :S

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Benny_ said:
How has the turnout been for the A-League so far? Up to scratch?
A-League hasn't started yet :S

It is about 85 days until it kicks off with Glory v Mariners and Newcastle v Adelaide.

Sydney's first match is August 28, when they take on Melbourne.

The crowds for the World Club Championship qualifiers were decent, though. The disappointing one was the final itself, where only 9500 showed up or something. Apart from that, they got over 10000 to all the games, I think.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Figo told he can leave
By European Football - June 1 2005

Luis Figo recently connected with Liverpool, Newcastle and Spurs, has been given permission by Real Madrid to leave the club and find himself a new one.

The former World and European Player of the Year Figo, has fallen out rather spectacularly with Real’s coach Vanderlei Luxemburgo, and subsequently found himself on the bench for long periods.

Figo vented some of his frustration in the press:

"The way they treated me when I was dropped wasn't right," he told Marca on Tuesday. "They didn't tell me I wasn't going to play. It really hurt my pride."

Yep, Spurs seems just about right for him. They love their hasbeens. Newcastle too I guess.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
If he wasn't asking for £160,000 a week Liverpool would welcome him on a rolling 1 year contract. He's still got a lot to offer the young players in the way of experience, and can provide some much needed trickery on the right.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Liverpool snap up Spanish youngster

Spanish youngster claims Liverpool deal
13:08 June, 1, 2005
Sixteen-year-old Miquel Roque claims he has signed for Liverpool.

Mail The FansFC Editor
Send This Article To A Friend
Post Your View on The Msg Board

The teenager is currently with Spanish second division side Lleida, yet he claims he has become the sixth Spaniard to sign for the Reds under the management of Rafael Benitez.

"It is my big chance, anyone who loves football dreams of something like this,” Roque told Spanish newspaper Marca. “I'm not going to let the chance pass me by. My parents believe in me and want the best. Of course they are worried I am leaving but there again so am I."

Benitez has already signed compatriots Josemi, Xabi Alonso, Luis Garcia, Antonio Nunez and Fernando Morientes, and Roque cannot wait to follow in their footsteps.

"When my agent told me, I didn't believe it," added Roque. "It is more normal for them to say a scout from Barcelona or Real Madrid has been watching you and the chance that can happen does enter into your mind. However, when they say someone from Liverpool has come to watch you, then it is hard to believe."

Fuck, I remember Wenger sayin he was after Roque a year ago, he said the kid had technique and vision similar to Fabregas when he first signed for us. Not a bad coup.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Roque is a CB with the versatility of being able to play anywhere defensive Hectic. I think Wenger can officially forget about the Spanish market while Rafa rules the Liverpool roost. Unless he has plenty of cash to back up his purchases Spanish are going to prefer Liverpool.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
You can't buy every quality Spanish player. We have plenty of Spaniards/Spanish speakers in our squad anyway.

If he wants a top quality Spanish player Wenger will get him. Cesc and Reyes are testamanet to that.

Arsenal has plenty of other things to offer anyway.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
I don't think Figo would want to go to thoze moderate English sidez, Inter would suit him better.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Would Inter be fruity enough to pay him those wages is the real question. I'm thinking Newcastle will be interested though, they're a silly bunch.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
From Skysports:

Guilty verdicts in Cole storm

Chelsea, Ashley Cole and Jose Mourinho have all been found guilty of breaching Premier League rules.

The row erupted in January after newspaper reports alleged that the parties met in a London hotel to discuss a transfer for Cole, and charges were brought in March against Chelsea, the player and Blues boss Mourinho.

The inquiry was launched in mid-May and the panel had been deliberating ever since hearing from the parties involved and have returned guilty verdicts.

Cole jetted in from New York, having been on tour with England, to hear the verdict and was found to have been in breach of rule K5, which prohibited him from approaching Chelsea with a view to negotiating a transfer, without permission from Arsenal.

Chelsea were found to have broken rule K3, forbidding them from approaching Cole by any means while under contract.

Mourinho was in breach of rule Q, governing managers' conduct.

Cole said recently that he had been affected by the row, but it remains to be seen if he can draw a line under the events having been found guilty.

The full back has two years to run on his Highbury contract and it remains to be seen if The Gunners opt to retain the 24-year-old or move him on.

Punishments have yet to be announced, but it is likely that hefty fines will be meted out.

More to follow

Fines won't hurt any of the three, especially not bloody Chelsea.

"Punishments" should actually be a deterrant for clubs like Chelsea, poxy slaps on the wrist won't do anything.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
@ HeCtic: Just wonderin, Fabregas' first name - is it just Cesc or is it short for sumfin else??

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
LFC Website said:
Thierry Henry is hoping Liverpool can build on their Champions League glory and challenge for the Premiership next season.

The Arsenal star is full of praise for the Reds following their remarkable European success and he feels it will be good for English football if they can take part in a four way battle for the league title.

"I really want Liverpool up there at the top," he said. "It will make it much more exciting. I hope they can catch up with us, Chelsea and Manchester United. A four way championship fight would be special.

"And you have to give credit to Liverpool. People say the English league is easy. These supporters point to the fact that English teams rarely do well in the Champions League - even though we have four teams enter every year.

"When I go home to France people poke fun at me, saying I only score so many goals because the Premier League is not difficult to play in. I always end up defending myself and English football. I do not think they are being fair.

"Well Liverpool, despite finishing fifth, have proved by winning the Champions League that the English league is indeed very strong. This has answered all those people who make remarks.

"Liverpool have done something for all of us and we should thank them. It was the most amazing final ever. At 3-0 down Liverpool looked completely dead. But they were able to show the fighting spirit which is so typical of an English team."

Henry also had words of praise for the club's brilliant supporters, adding: "Liverpool's fans are just amazing. The best feeling I have at away games is Anfield. It is just incredible. I love it.

"You get goosebumps when you see their supporters sing You'll Never Walk Alone."
Good man your Thierry.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
It must've hurt seeing another English team win it, but he's still man enough to congratulate them. But before you guys start getting any ideas, he's staying with us.

You can keep your Dribbly Sissy and Moro :)

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
LMF^^ said:
Inter can afford him, no probz. Reportz say they're interested in him too.
hasnt inter got enough midfielders already lol....

Traore hehehe, how does sll the liverpool fans have to say about this :D

Milan sign Jankuvloski.. great buy, seedorf can now finally go to the bench. i wonder if parma will wait til they are finally relegated before rethinking their 35mil price tag on gilardinho...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)