Soccer Thread : 2004-05 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
We're very strongly linked to Patrice Evra, an absolute class act for Monaco, so I expect Troare will be a squad player once he signs.

Skysports said:
Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard has confirmed his interest in Arsenal striker Thierry Henry.

Spanish sources have insisted for a number of weeks that Barca were intent on mounting a bid for the French star.

Both Arsenal and Henry have continually stressed for loyalty to each other, but like Real Madrid did with Patrick Vieira last summer - Barca will look to strain that relationship to the maximum.

Rijkaard has further fanned the speculation flames by admitting Henry was on his list of potential summer targets.

The Dutchman was asked about Vieira, with some reports claiming he could mount a bid for the Gunners skipper, but he replied: "No, I am only interested in Henry."

Barca are claimed to have already lodged a €24 million (£16 million) bid which was rejected out of hand earlier this month, but it is being reported that they are gearing up to double that offer within the next few days.
£32 would be mighty tempting wouldn't it :cool: Then again if a £32 offer came in for Gerrard i know what I'd tell them do do with it.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
I've just heard a rumour that West Ham are about to be "invested" in by another Russian sugar-daddy.

Whoopee!!

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
interesting. we already have 20 odd mil to spend on players, hopefully they bring in 3 or 4 decent ones.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Well, you guys won't have the Champions League carrot to dangle in front of world-class players, but it'd be a start.

There's already a decent enough nucleus to the side, and your youth system is very reliable. Promising for sure.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Is Pandiani still available? He'd form a decent partnership with Zamora you'd think. Or Sheringham. I haven't been paying the Championship much attention so I don't really know too much about West Ham, except that Rio's brother still plays for them, and supposedly decent.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
they have plenty of talent. anton ferdinand, carrick,zamora, ashikodi, etherington to name a few.

but then you look at players who have left in recent years, joe cole, lampard, rio, defoe,kanoute,sinclair,james,johnson,di canio ... it was an awesome side. We'll be back under sheringams guidance next year. Will he be the oldest player in the prem league? he's close to 40 o_o;

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Is this a different Carrick to the one that went to Spurs a little while ago? :p

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
Aimar would like to join Liverpool. I'd be absolutely delighted to see my favourite player move to my favourite club. It will allow for Aimar to bounce back from a torrid season.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
Komit said:
Aimar would like to join Liverpool. I'd be absolutely delighted to see my favourite player move to my favourite club. It will allow for Aimar to bounce back from a torrid season.
I like Aimar too, but L'pool have adequate Central MF cover in Gerrard, Biscan, Alonso. Unless they decide to play him on the right, or create a role where he plays behind a lone striker. Which would then mean only one of Baros, Cisse, and Kewell would be a regular starter; while the likes of Sinama-Pongolle and Le Tallec are as good as gone. Anyway, looks like Benitez would be deploying Gerrard in a more attacking role than next season. Besides, we've already seen two big-name Argentines flop in the EPL recently with the likes of Veron and Crespo.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
HSC
Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has set up a shock deal for PSV Eindhoven's South Korean star Ji-Sung Park. The 24-year-old all-action midfielder is due to have talks with United after a secret swoop was set up by Ferguson, who watched him in action in the Champions League. Park, who scored a stunner against AC Milan in the sem-final, is a workaholic midfielder who would bring a new dimension to United. Park can also play on the wing and would give cover for Cristiano Ronaldo and competition for Ryan Giggs. PSV will sell because Park's contract is running out. Insiders claim the fee may be as low as £3million - and United could recoup the fee quickly off the pitch. Park would help them crack the Asian market where he was recently voted 'most favourite athlete'. Signing Park would let United sell Kleberson, with Portuguese side Benfica expected to revive their interest in the £1.5million Brazilian. And Wigan believe United's Phil Neville is the ideal player to bring experience and versatility to them as they start in the Premiership. He could go for around £2.5m.
Alan Nixon and David McDonnell, Daily Mirror

A winger or an attacking MF is definitely not a priority at the moment. But with a 3Mill. price tag, I'd say that's a great acquisition. Besides, I hope young Neville doesn't leave.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Rafa isn't really a manager that likes playing 4-4-2. He tends to enjoy using only 1 striker and 1 in the hole. Last season Garcia played there, and he did a pretty good job. However I think Aimar would be welcome anyway seeing as top managers like Rafa and Mourinho like to rotate their squads. The position isn't really a priority though, seeing as Kewell can also play in that exact same position. A LM and a RM, a LB and a forward are the priorities. Then a backup for Carragher/Hyypia would also be welcome. I imagine Gabriel Militio will do the job well.

What a silly buy. Park plays a role that Rooney or Scholes already excel at. They should've gone for PSV's other Korean, Lee instead. He could've replaced Giggs and allowed Ronaldo to play exclusively on the right. Fergie's senility gets worse by the day.

Last edited:

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
HeCtic said:
Francesc Fabregas, mate. Cesc for short.
Ah ok, cool...thx :)

Park & Lee hav both played really well for PSV this season, Lee gave old-man Cafu a torrid time in the CL semis & Park has scored quite a few goals...

But yeh if Park were to go to ManYoo, u can expect shirt sales in Korea to go thru the roof, & with Glazer's massive debt they'll need all the income they can get! :p

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
HSC
Benny_ said:
What a silly buy. Park plays a role that Rooney or Scholes already excel at. They should've gone for PSV's other Korean, Lee instead. He could've replaced Giggs and allowed Ronaldo to play exclusively on the right. Fergie's senility gets worse by the day.
How is that a silly buy? Park is 24 Scholes is ~30. If he can be brought in cheap then why not. Like I've said, it's not a priority at the moment as we obviously need a Def. MF and a GK, but it's not like we're emptying our coffers for him. Besides, Lee can only play on the left whereas Park can play L,R, or Centre. Fergie might have lost his spark, but he ain't senile by any means.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Paragon said:
How is that a silly buy? Park is 24 Scholes is ~30. If he can be brought in cheap then why not. Like I've said, it's not a priority at the moment as we obviously need a Def. MF and a GK, but it's not like we're emptying our coffers for him. Besides, Lee can only play on the left whereas Park can play L,R, or Centre. Fergie might have lost his spark, but he ain't senile by any means.
I agree. He may not be what we need, but $3million is a bargain.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Benny_ said:
Is this a different Carrick to the one that went to Spurs a little while ago? :p
lol woops put him in the wrong list.

anyway as with park ji sung. he may be a bargain but fergie's midfield investments have been disasters so far. djemba,kleberson and even veron(though he did ok at times). I've seen park ji sung play for sth korea and he's a gun, but yeah lee yong pyo is also have decent.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Gunners plan Ricardo swoop

Arsenal are poised to sign Portuguese goalkeeper Ricardo from Sporting Lisbon.

The Gunners have been searching for a goalkeeper following the inconsistent performances of Jens Lehmann and Manuel Almunia and may see the highly-rated 29-year-old as the ideal solution, according to The Daily Star.

Ricardo, whose penalty shootout exploits ended England's Euro 2004 dreams, would relish a move to the Premiership.

He said: "Of course I am ready to go and play in better leagues and not just now but for many years. I like challenges and to play in the Premiership is one and more so a team like Arsenal who aspire to everything.

"What pleases me about the English football is the treatment they show the players and the atmosphere in the stadiums. Team-mates who play in the Premiership are always encouraging me to make the move."

---------------------------------------------------------

linkage

Good player? I thought all Portugese keepers were clowns for some reason.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
It's because of Vitor Baia's dive. Gotta be one of the most hilariously infuriating things I've ever seen on a football pitch.

Hilarious this. Too bad about the spelling.

Last edited:

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I know, I know. I just found the idea of printing it out and sticking it around billboards in Manchester/OT hilarious. Can you imagine the reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)