Soccer Thread : 2004-05 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Don't know if Wenger would want to lose Henry for any price. There's no guarantee Ronnie or Eto'o would even settle into the Premiership.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
They'll surely settle in in CM. :D

Carroll fo Ronaldinho, yeah I wish I can do that in CM too. :p

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Edu signs 5 year contract for Valencia. Their new coach apparently wants to play 3 in the centre or midield.

Albelda-Edu-Baraja in the middle is pretty tasty. Good luck to him.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
THE SUN

# Manchester United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy is being offered to Barcelona in exchange for Samuel Eto'o, while he could move to Real Madrid in exchange for Michael Owen.

I'll take that.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
I think Ruud for Eto would be a disaster. Those africans havnt really been successful in the premier league.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
It's The Sun , their rumours are about as reliable as www.football-rumours.com. Fergie is in love with Van Nistelrooy and Van Nistelrooy loves him back. It's never going to happen.

As for Eto'o succeeding in the EPL.. imo he's the 4th best striker in the world at the moment behind with Schevchenko, Adriano and Henry. That he's African has nothing to do with it really. There's a pretty even ratio of successful top Africans to unsuccessful top Africans in the EPL.

Successful=Okocha, Fortune, Diop
Unsuccessful=Eric Djemba-Djemba, Diouf

Diouf's the only striker of the lot that I can think of, but he was played out of position by Houllier, and he's had more success when playing as a striker.

Last edited:

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
I guess so to an extent. Okacha has had his ups and downs, fortune has been in and out of form. Kanu had his glory days for a season or two, diouf is ill-disciplined. Eto might be different since he has played in spain, his goal scoring record shows it atleast. And Sir Alex's discipline will keep him on level ground. Anyway we'll see how these rumours eventuate.

Another site which is full of shit is www.tribalfootball.com.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
Benny_ said:
As for Eto'o succeeding in the EPL.. imo he's the 4th best striker in the world at the moment behind with Schevchenko, Adriano and Henry.

Successful=Okocha, Fortune, Diop
Unsuccessful=Eric Djemba-Djemba, Diouf
Agree with the striker rankings there.

I don't particularly think Fortune is successful. Probably in-between.

HSC
copious said:
Another site which is full of shit is www.tribalfootball.com.
Hahahaha, so true - alot of my English mates who support clubs in like the lower leagues just love to read it for a laugh. Alot of them mock the paper The Sun as well because of how ridiculous some of the articles posted there are. Also, Totti just signed a contract worth almost $A 18 million a season until 2010! Anyone happen to catch the strike by Bresciano over the weekend for Parma ... no wonder why Inter want to sign him so much. :D

As much as fun as speculating on these swap deals is, there is no chance of any of them happening. They are mouthwatering but only dreams at this stage. Isn't the Premier League alot slower than La Liga and many other leagues in Europe? It doesn't make any sense at all why Africans seem to underperform - Brazilians perform in Portugal because of the language and the style of play suits them, but most African players are quick on the pitch and should be running circles around their Anglo counterparts. :p They perform well in Dutch and other Nordic leagues (e.g. teams like Antwerp) ... I guess it is just question that will never be answered.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
I think Yakubu iz pretty good, shame he couldn't play to hiz full potential at Pompey.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
Italian Hotshot said:
Also, Totti just signed a contract worth almost $A 18 million a season until 2010! Anyone happen to catch the strike by Bresciano over the weekend for Parma ... no wonder why Inter want to sign him so much. :D
That's a heavy pay-packet. They should garnish his wages every time he either spits or stomps on opponents. Maybe that'll sort him out.

Still in Italy, Milan have made there first two signings of the off-season. Def. MF Johann Vogel from PSV; and Czech international Marek Jankulovski from Udinese, a versatile MF who made it to the SF of Euro '04. Milan are also in ongoing talks with Chelsea regarding Crespo, which could have an impact on whether or not they aggressively pursue Gilardino.

Juventus, the Scudetto winners, are also coming in for Gilardino, one of the most prolific scorers in Italy the past two seasons, as Trezeguet is reportedly wanted by new Lyon coach Gerard Houllier.

Smicer is being suited by Birmingham and Charlton.

Chelsea have finalised their deal with Sky One regarding the upcoming reality-tv show to unearth the next best footballer in England.
(**DonaldTrump-esque-Mourinho: You're hired).

Munich celebrated the opening of their new stadium, Allianz Arena, defeating the German national side, managed by Klinsman, 4-2.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I wonder if Totti continues to play for Roma because of loyalty or simply because he's guaranteed a free lunch there. If it's the former, good for him. If it's the latter, it's sad that a player of his talent doesn't choose to set higher goals for himself.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Hmm it would of been good for him to test himself in Spain, Real reportedly courted him. However, he probalty thought he would of been outshined in real or barcelona by his own team mates if he left roma o_O

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
From soccernet:

Tuesday, May 31, 2005
'It's too late for Liverpool' - UEFA chief
A UEFA executive committee member believes it is too late to change the rules to accommodate holders Liverpool into next season's Champions League.

Pressure has increased on UEFA in the past week to include the Reds in next season's competition following their stunning penalty shoot-out triumph over AC Milan.

The elite European clubs group, the G14, have added their voice to the clamour while Football Association chairman Geoff Thompson, who is also a UEFA vice-president, has continued lobbying for there to be five English clubs in the Champions League so the Reds can defend their crown.

Liverpool will have to wait for another three weeks before the issue is resolved by UEFA's 15-man executive committee at their meeting in Manchester on June 17.

UEFA president Lennart Johansson is understood to be broadly supportive, and his influence is extremely important though not necessarily decisive.

However, Dr Joseph Mifsud, who has been on the committee since 1994, is a dissenting voice and is unequivocal in his belief the current regulations should be adhered to, which would result in the exclusion of the newly-crowned champions.

Mifsud, who is also the president of the Malta FA, told BBC Radio 5 Live: 'I believe we should follow the rules.

'If the rules permit it it is ok, if the rules do not permit it, no.

'I believe that while the English FA can do something in this regard, I believe as the rules stand at present at UEFA we cannot do anything - unless of course the regulations are changed.

'But I don't agree regulations can be changed midway through the season.

'As far as I can see it is too late.'

Oh bollocks :)

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
France coach in Pires row
1 June 2005

France coach Raymond Domenech was booed by fans during last night's 2-1 friendly win over Hungary for his treatment of Arsenal's Robert Pires.

Pires has not appeared for the national team since the World Cup qualifying win over Cyprus in October. Banners asked for the Arsenal midfielder to be recalled to the squad and for Domenech's removal.

"Asking for another guy to play when the team is doing a great job, it's humiliating," said Domenech after the game in Metz. "I can understand that people don't agree with my choices but I'm the one in charge."

2 wins in 6 qualifying games might be a good reason to get rid of the cunt too. Both Switzerland and Ireland a point behind and a game in hand too.

Linkage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)