Soccer Thread : 2004-05 (13 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
copious said:
They were rock solid reading the reports, anyone watch it? how did Kewell go?
I watched the game. Liverpool were rock solid in defence all game. They are such a different team in the Champions League games. As for Kewell, he only came on really late in the game and didnt get much of the ball so it is pretty hard to judge how he went. It was good to see him on the field again though. Go Liverpool in the second leg!

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
yeh, carragher...woh, hypia...woh, freaky, even traore was playing good, great defence, midfield was ok, and attack, well, yeh, we were playing a defensive game, so that doesnt matter.

kewell came on in the 85th minute and was only on the field for 8 more minutes, he didnt make a real impact, but thats alright, he was only going to be on the field for 20-40 minutes anyway, and his form before his last game wasnt tops either...he'll get there eventually.

i hope liverpools 12th 'man' can help them win next wednesday :eek:...it'd be great just to make the final and also finally crack chelsea :uhhuh:

go Liverpool!

T

timbk2

yea i watched the whole game.... lampard missed a great chance.. btu tht was about it for them. liverpool had some good chances with riise and baros' header which was destined to go in... only for cech's amazing save.

carragah was a rock... john terry cant even compare with carra's performance today.
Apparently they might appeal the yellow card to alonso. But either way.... liverpool played half the season without alonso.. im sure they can cope. Gerrard and Biscan seem to do well in europe.

slip

HSC
LMF^^ said:
iz az good az
your 's' key seems to be broken

chelsea will go through in the second leg they just need a scoring draw... liverpool have to win or get a scoreless draw and hope for the best in a shoot out, i dont like there cahnces of a shoot out win given that cech shits all over dudek, and i doubt liverpool can win against chelsea

i dont like kewell hairstyle either, and i also agreed he looked like a garcia wannabe

oh and liverpool wont be in champs league no matter what next season. If the win the FA has the power to replace the 4th placed team (everton) with the championsleague winner, but the clubs and FA have said that all teams have been playing to the agreement 4th place is champions league so it would be wrong to change it now.

No country is allowed more then 4 representitives.

Enjoy the UEFA Cup.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
There iz still the votin process, but I'm pretty certain that Liverpool won't be in it next season.

Crazy Horse

HSC
timbk2 said:
yea i watched the whole game.... lampard missed a great chance.. btu tht was about it for them. liverpool had some good chances with riise and baros' header which was destined to go in... only for cech's amazing save.

carragah was a rock... john terry cant even compare with carra's performance today.
Apparently they might appeal the yellow card to alonso. But either way.... liverpool played half the season without alonso.. im sure they can cope. Gerrard and Biscan seem to do well in europe.
Milan's header was nice – great save as well. If Liverpool go through – Lampard will be kicking himself and hard. Carra was brilliant – AGAIN. Traore, however, seems to get dragged narrow following the runners every time and he doesn’t need to at all - he leaves space in behind him. Gerrard didn’t have the best game – he didn’t do well except for the cross to Baros and the less said about Kewell the better.
Cavalho deserves to be hit for his challenge on Garcia as does Terry - it was blatantly vicious. The ref was so annoying. Alonso did not deserve a yellow!! Liverpool are going to appeal it and rightly so – he didn’t touch Gudjohnsen and its pathetic how he got booked and less than a minute later Lampard got away with a blatant foul on Cisse. I highly doubt it will be overturned though. The more I think about it the more annoyed I get...

Crazy Horse

HSC
HeCtic said:
Awesome van Persie video made by some dutch guy:

van Persie tribute

Oh and I hope Liverpool stuff the rent boys tommorow, but I can't see it for some reason :(
The video made me laugh - There were some nice shots!

And I sure hope Liverpool stuff the rent boys at Anfield and I can see it happening ;)

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Alwayz Diana said:
The video made me laugh - There were some nice shots!

And I sure hope Liverpool stuff the rent boys at Anfield and I can see it happening ;)

Pretty fly isn't he? ;)

Liverpool played great in the first half but they had no width whatsoever. Seems to be a bit of a problem for them. No away goal I reckon puts Chelsea firmly in front now.

If Liverpool signed a new keeper, two wingers and another forward they'd be very strong next year as far as their squad goes.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
^Nice sig Hectic. LoL

Chelsea will score in the away leg, just a question of whether Liverpool can outscore em.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Jets sign Ned Zelic. Amazing player, possibly the best defender we've ever produced, but bigger than Dwight Yorke? bahahaha.

ZELIC CONFIRMED AS NEWCASTLE MARQUEE PLAYER

Friday 29 April 2005

Hyundai A-League club Newcastle United Jets FC today announced their marquee signing of one Australia’s finest ever football exports Ned Zelic (pictured right), for the next two seasons.

Zelic’s return to Australia’s shores, ends over a decade playing his club football in countries such as Germany, England, France, Japan, and Austria.

The 33-year-old defender was in Newcastle for the announcement today, after the Jets had negotiated a transfer from his current Austrian club FC Wacker Tirol.

“I am excited to back after a 14-year absence,” said Zelic. “I still think I have a lot to offer the Australian sporting public and in the end I thought coming home now, was better than in 12 months time.”

Zelic, who last played his club football in Australia with Sydney Olympic in 1992, will commence training with his new teammates tomorrow. Newcastle want Zelic to play in their Club World Championship match on Saturday May 7 against Central Coast Mariners, although he will need to receive a clearance from the Austrian FA next week, for him to be eligible.

Most Australian football fans, will remember Zelic for his unbelievable goal that sent Australia through to the 1992 Barcelona Olympics and more recently, his unfortunate walk out on the national team in 1999 and subsequent international retirement.

His arrival, along with that of former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke at Sydney FC, is another shot in the arm for the Hyundai A-League and will put Newcastle up amongst the favourites for the inaugural title, which starts in August 2005.

Newcastle United Jets owner, Mr Con Constantine, said that it was a proud moment not only for the Club but for the sports loving people of the Hunter as well… "right from day one I have been determined to put together a side that would make this region proud and that would be able to seriously challenge for the national championship. Ned’s signature is another important step along the path of turning this dream into a reality. The Hunter deserves the best and we are going to give it to them" said Mr Constantine.

Head Coach Jean Paul de Marigny also expressed understandable enthusiasm about the signing… "Ned is quality with a capital Q. For a coach he is more than a footballer but also a leader on the field as well as a mentor to the younger players. You cannot have played at the level Ned has, for such a consistent period, without being a player of extraordinary talent. The Newcastle Jets and our fans are very fortunate," said Mr de Marigny

Ned ZELIC - factfile

Born: 4th July 1971, Canberra, ACT
Position: Defender/Midfielder
Australian Schoolboy International 1988
Australian Institute of Sport 1988
Socceroo honours:
A–int: [1991-1997] 33 games (3 goals)
Other: [1991-1999] 7 games (2 goals)
All int: [1991-1999] 40 games (5 goals)
Underage Australian representative honours:
U/20 - 1989 World Youth Cup qualifiers
U/23 - 1992 Olympic Games finals (Barcelona)
Club career:
1987 Canberra Deakin (ACT)
1989 Sydney United (NSL) 8a (0g) - 7th
89/90 Sydney United (NSL) 2a (0g) - 7th
1990 Canberra Deakin (NSW)
90/91 Sydney United (NSL) 26a (0g) - 7th
91/92 Sydney Olympic (NSL) 19a (1g) - 2nd
92/93 Borussia Dortmund (Germany) 19a (0g)
93/94 Borussia Dortmund (Germany) 18a (1g)
94/95 Borussia Dortmund (Germany) 4a (0g)
95/96 Queens Park Rangers (England 1) 4a (0g) - 19th (relegated)
95/96 Eintract Frankfurt (Germany) 17a (1g)
96/97 Auxerre (France) 12a (0g) - 6th
97/98 1860 Munich (Germany 1) 13a (0g) - 13th
98/99 1860 Munich (Germany 1) 33a (1g) - 9th
99/00 1860 Munich (Germany 1) 23a (2g) - 4th
00/01 1860 Munich (Germany 1) 27a (0g) - 11th
01/02 1860 Munich (Germany 1) 6a (0g) - 9th
2002 Kyoto Purple Sanga (Japan 1) 1a (0g) - 5th
2002 Urawa Red Diamonds (Japan 1) 2a (0g) - 11th
2003 Urawa Red Diamonds (Japan 1) 22a (2g) - 6th
04/05 Wacker Tirol (Austria)

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
decent player but hardly a star like yorke, at least we know newcastle's hype machine is working

edit: it would be funny if parma get relegated but wins the uefa cup

Last edited:

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Hey so if Parma win the UEFA Cup but get relegated, would they still be able to play in the comp nxt season to defend their title?

There mite be another 'Liverpool' situation here :D

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Looks like Dortmund offloaded Zelic just a couple of seasons before they won the CL. Certainly a decent player.. but still, a veteran Australian defender is hardly the sort of player who'll light up the league.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Yeah I think they can still play in the UEFA Cup az holderz even if they get relegated. Thatz how weird the UEFA Cup iz.

Millwall got into thiz seasonz competition just by bein a FA Cup finalist.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
but millwall only got in because man yoo were already champions league.

ned zelic is a genius and is a great player but unfortunately his name is not very popular in australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)