Social implications of the colour black (1 Viewer)

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I know that there are minorities within society that have have claimed the colour black (goth, emo), but what are your views about wearing black? Why is it that every time I wear black I'm cast as goth? Can people who don't fit the stereotypes wear all black?

postnatal

Banned
HSC
N/A
maybe it's just you? tbh no one really gives a shit what colour/tone whatever you are wearing. if it's just a normal piece of clothing that happens to be black no one cares unless you are yunning around in a cape or some shit like that

HSC
I am physically attracted to black clothes. If it's on the rack, and it's black, I'll mostly only look at that (way to rhymeee!). I like black because it's classy. Nice black dresses, nice black tops and blouses etc I like blue too. Hmm. Black tops the list though. I like dark clothing in general; so much more sophisticated.

HSC
Uni Grad
Are you saying you can't wear black without people considering you a goth?
If so....WTF!

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Fair enough, I just see others get called a stereotype because of what colour etc they are wearing as well and am wondering if anyone has any unfounded preconcieved notions on the subject.

postnatal

Banned
HSC
N/A
you do realise the humour in this don't you? that you are complaining about being discriminated at the colour of your clothes rather than the typical whinge about the colour of someone's skin?

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
you do realise the humour in this don't you? that you are complaining about being discriminated at the colour of your clothes rather than the typical whinge about the colour of someone's skin?
I was musing on this just before.

I'm not really turped by it, they can call me what they will. Just curious about what I don't want to repeat XD.

tlodg

HSC
N/A
I know that there are minorities within society that have have claimed the colour black (goth, emo), but what are your views about wearing black? Why is it that every time I wear black I'm cast as goth? Can people who don't fit the stereotypes wear all black?
wearing black eyeliner too?

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
wearing black eyeliner too?
Depending on the manner of application I suppose?

There are some ways of applying black eyeliner that just screams EMO etc... And often you don't see these styles mixed with another anyway.

HSC
N/A
Those are not minorities they are silly youth subcultures. Stop getting hung up on what people think of you especially in petty little things like clothing. Its a shitty way to live.

js992

HSC
You're very vague on what you mean by black, there's a line distinguishing between black and goth black.

If you're just wearing something like a plain black shirt and black jeans i doubt there's much one could say. When you start wearing things like big black 'goth boots', like someone said...a cape... or something more out of the ordinary, then maybe some would start casting you as a goth.

But to be honest, no one really cares... wear what you want.

pman

Banned
HSC
black underwear implies that ur after sex if ur female but really, outer clothing can be any colour with no implications, If you only wear dark clotes I may think your prone to spilling crap on urself

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC

LOL are you really pale :(

maybe theyre saying it as a joke like postnatal said.

and maybe you could. not wear black? i dunno

artist91

HSC
That's weird that people automatically assume you're a goth for wearing black. In New York you walk down the street and 99% of people will be wearing black. I think because Australia is such a sunny country people identify more with wearing bright colors. :confused: As long as you're not wearing eyeliner if you're a guy and leather-studded bracelets/belts or fishnets then I wouldn't assume you're a goth just because you're in black.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)