SOFT subjects (the easy way out) . Your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Enobarbus

HSC
N/A
In case anyone clicked on the OP's profile and saw that he claims to go to JRAHS... I'd just like to assure you all that no person at JRAHS has that pattern of study.

Seriously, this verbally incontinent troll does not go to JRAHS - and in any case, we aren't offered any of the soft subjects like Business Studies, Legal Studies, Community and Family Studies, Society and Culture, Food Technology (ew, just typing the names of those courses out made me feel a little nauseous!), so there really isn't much point to the OP's post.

-tal-

HSC
Enobarbus said:
In case anyone clicked on the OP's profile and saw that he claims to go to JRAHS... I'd just like to assure you all that no person at JRAHS has that pattern of study.

Seriously, this verbally incontinent troll does not go to JRAHS - and in any case, we aren't offered any of the soft subjects like Business Studies, Legal Studies, Community and Family Studies, Society and Culture, Food Technology (ew, just typing the names of those courses out made me feel a little nauseous!), so there really isn't much point to the OP's post.
And with that, you're planning on getting nearly everyone who posted here on your ass.

Last edited:

Skipper9T

HSC
My subjects are:

Society and Culture
Industrial Graphics
General Maths
Standard English
Physics
Engineering(DROPPED)
``````````````

Now, yes I've got general maths and standard english, but simply because I have TWO Major Projects - Graphics and S.A.C

EDIT: I've decided to cut out some of the things I had said, simply because of some of the teaches that go on this thing, and all it takes is a quick profile check - find out my school - find out which student has my subjects and bam. I'll be screwed over.

/ramble

EDIT: LOL my main conclusive point was that although I've got two "soft" subjects - not only was it necessary - but it was also quite a smart move, as it allowed me to distribute time on my MP's. Sorry I got a bit carried away there with my Ramble.. haha

Last edited:

null-result

HSC
ok, i did ipt, sdd, physics, religion and 4u maths

anyone who says religion is not a soft subject is a fucktard.
along with ipt and sdd.

PHYSICS and 4U MATHS ate up 90% of my study time.

IPT+SDD+RELIGION COMBINED took SHIT ALL.

what happens?

band 4/5 on physics/4u maths
band 6 on ipt/sdd/religion (well, E5 or whatever it was)

why? BECAUSE I/S/R ARE SOFT SUBJECTS THAT ONLY REQUIRE YOU TO MEMORIZE SHIT. THERES PRACTICALLY NO PROBLEM SOLVING TO DO.

whereas in maths/physics, you spend your time pulling out formulas from your ass, applying them to 'real-life' (yeah right) situations and solving things that probably will never be needed. thats a hard subject.

those other ones, soft subjects. for sure. all you have to do is memorize keypoints, look at past exams, see the similarities, 'oh theyre going to ask me about so-and-so every year. better brush up on that', make a fucking pre-prepared essay for the question, and spew it out when the time comes. nice. SOFT.

and since you people stated 'OMG YOU CANT JUDGE UNLESS YOUVE DONE BOTH'
ive done both. shut up. theyre soft subjects. if you manage to fuck them up and fail, youre a nub.

ggkthxbailololololololololololol

oh and dont say i did shit in my maths/physics because i just plainly suck at maths. go try 4u maths sometime. mad fun.

note: for the other subjects, go grab someone else who does them and a 'hard subject' and ask for their opinion. dont have baseless arguements.

laura.nemo

HSC
I do Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Ancient History, Chem, Bio and Legal and General Maths (dropped from Mathematics) and I found that the content was pretty even in all subjects. I don't really think you could call any of them soft, except for maybe General Maths, but many people probably do that level of maths because they feel that the stuff that you learn in Mathematics isn't really going to help you out in day to day life. And if you don't need it for your uni degree, then why put yourself through it? Unless you're good at it.
Anyways this Black.Magic person is obviously pretty lame and thinks that people should choose subjects based on how smart you want to appear, not how smart you are. Why bother doing "hard" subjects if you don't think that you're capable?

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
ok i am doing
standard english
legal studies
biology
PHYSICS
ancient history
advanced maths

ok now u may go wow ur doing 4 soft subjects but ur wron. U are catergorizing subjects such as legal bio and ancient as soft because u believe it only needs u to memorise. However if u look at the hsc papers for these subjects the uestions asked arent just asking u to regeritate everything u know they need u to anaylse and interpret ur knowledge. I truly dont understand ur reasoning for calling these subjects soft. Seriously also these are just ur opinions and u have no idea at all i mean no idea at all.

BUt truly it doesnt matter what subjects ur doing because u have to do well at what subjects u have chosen. I mean somone plzzz explain why u believe subjects such as biology and legal studies are soft subjects with examples ok i dont want just ur opinion i want proof of why these arent as hard as say physics chemistry etc.

erm

HSC
"soft" subjects usually require more memorisation and less logical thinking (and i've done a mix so i know). questions are often easier (only people who find it hard are those who haven't studied the content). a massive cram can often save people who do this test.

sometimes with "hard" subjects a certain amount of natural intelligence/aptitude is required for you to do well - some people can't do it even if they tried their hardest.

runnable

HSC
I do Bio, Phy, Econ, 3U Maths etc.

I must say Bio requires the least effort from me. I score equally well in all those subjects.

jewoneimon

HSC
i used to do 4unit maths.... dropped it.... just cause u do subject that supposed to scale like crazy doesn't mean its good..... after dropping 4 unit maths the sheer amount of relief at that helped me with all my other subjects

slinkysezzy

HSC
May I just ask - how do you know that these subjects are easier than any others when you clearly haven't studied them yourself??? How could you possibly know how much work or otherwise is involved.

This is just a silly way of making some types of knowledge better that other. You seem to have just listed ALL the humanities subjects, alongside the trade subjects and anything that isn't maths or science.

Please come and tell me which subjects are soft after you have learnt the content for EVERY SINGLE ONE and passed at least one exam in EVERY single one. Then I'll know that you're not generalising.
:wave:

HSC
Yeah I agree with the OP.

Anyone who does a subject that is of a lower standard (eg Standard Eng or Gen Maths) is probably a retard anyway so I don't think it matters.

Z0mG 3p1C 1uLZ!!!!!!111!!11one!

laa.musique

Executive Member
HSC
srsly fuck off! how are legal and business "soft" subjects.
does not comprehend.
do people not understand how much content there is!!!! and also
if you wanna talk about "soft" subjects... try MUSIC 1!!!! you dont even have to know how to read music haha thats why i do it. bludge.

Pratham

HSC
i do ext 2 maths, adv eng, phys, chem AND eco....and eco is defo one of if not THE most challenging subject, alot of content....its scales pretty well also......

in the end it depends how well you do in each subject i guess. doing a "soft" subject will mean you will have to work extra hard i guess...

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
laa.musique said:
srsly fuck off! how are legal and business "soft" subjects.
does not comprehend.
do people not understand how much content there is!!!! and also
if you wanna talk about "soft" subjects... try MUSIC 1!!!! you dont even have to know how to read music haha thats why i do it. bludge.
i dunno, legal is pretty easy, you dont think at all, just memorise

fishy89sg

HSC
having done business studies and ancient history myself (as well at 4unit maths), i think it's safe to say that business studies and ancient history are soft subjects. you know this is especially true when cant do absolutely any questions for at least one topic in extension 2 maths, and can blabber your way through some essays and attain high marks in business/ancient.

as for general maths, after studying some of the topics that are in the HSC general maths course in my compulsory 1st year subjects at uni, i'm going to have to say general maths isn't a 'soft' subject, and was surprised at some of the content covered in the course, and its understandable why there will be two levels of general maths courses available soon.

no comment for the other ones - haven't done em

oh i forgot to add, theres a reason why certain subjects are 'capped' at 96, 97%

Last edited:

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Doesn't matter what course they choose. But if they ace hospital/community and family studies/general maths/standard english/studies of religion, I wouldn't want to see them in a medicine course, or any other university courses that are highly demanding.

janna08

HSC
God. It is so incredibly slack and rude to label people stupid just coz they do "soft" subjects. What may be easy for one person may be harder for another. Not everyone is a massive freak at everything - people are good at, and interested in, different things. Not everyone is interested in Ext Maths, Eng, Chem or Phys but that shouldn't mean that they are dumb or mentally incapable. People should be able to choose whatever subjects they like or have an interest in, independant of how "hard" others think it is - because unless you've done that subject and experienced how "hard" or "easy" it is, you can't diss it. Labelling people stupid because tehy do "soft" subjects is just plain arrogant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)