Special Provisions (1 Viewer)

eldore44

Facebook is better.
HSC
I applied for computer. failed. then for extra time or a writer. failed.
My writing is mega slow. Going flat out I write a booklet an hour and then have serious pain in my hand.
I want to know what the review process is like for applications.
I remember reading some boardofstudies info on it, and most applicants come from catholic schools. and half of all computer applications are rejected.

kanux

HSC
Dude... Scots College 1 in 4 kids. THAT isn't just.
exactly...bloody ridiculous
I hate private schools...bloody always have the image of the snboby spoilt students...

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
shut the fuck up. You have no idea how bad my ocd gets.
I'm sorry but I just fail to understand how someone who claims to 'tear up pages with single mistakes' can manage having mistakes in something so easy to fix as a forum post.

I have mild OCD, and I know forum posts are one thing I maintain to an overly perfect standard; I just wonder why you don't.

Jai5on

HSC
it's funny though, at my school we had about 10 people who had special provs until year 12 and then it automatically jumped to about 30 just before trials...
Kaytt =]...the students at your school winge 24/7 that would be the reason for the jump in provisions... and you know i know ahahah

I am all for provisions in exams, but only for people who actually need it. Reasons like stress are ridiculous. Thousands of students are sitting for there HSC and you think you're the only one with stress??? pffft get a grip of yourself, grow a set, and do the fn test!!!

alex1992

HSC
As i work late nights in the club, and have many out of school commitments, such as operating my gambling business, i have successfully recieved 1 minute extra time per hour of each exam.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
I'm a very slow writer, and I suffer from hand cramps worse than most people. Handwriting difficulties are not 'excuses'. I physically can't write as much as some people without having extra time to do it, which puts me at a disadvantage. And yes, I have a report from a registered occupational therapist which provides hard numbers to back that up.
same. but i don't look for excuses or people/things to blame.

sorry for sounding like a bitch, but you can't go through life saying that everything's unfair and blaming everything on someone else. life is NOT FAIR. you will not always have a level playing field. employers won't look at your resume and say, oh but he got hand cramps all through uni, give him extra brownie points and look upon him more favourably.

life is shit, learn to live with it.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
I applied for computer. failed. then for extra time or a writer. failed.
My writing is mega slow. Going flat out I write a booklet an hour and then have serious pain in my hand.
I want to know what the review process is like for applications.
I remember reading some boardofstudies info on it, and most applicants come from catholic schools. and half of all computer applications are rejected.
i can't even get a whole booklet in.

it used to take me forty minutes to write two pages. i've got it up to about three & a half, so about five pages an hour. that's only 5/8 of what you can get in. and i've never complained about it or applied for anything.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
You can change the way you write, you know.

Half way through year 11 I basically scrapped the style of writing I'd been using for 12 years and started anew. Takes time, but it's beginning to pay off now (I handwrite at around 32 wpm, up from around 20)
Yes, but my point is that it does take time - it's either a year of conscious effort to change writing style, or taking advice from an OT. When I talked to my OT about it, she basically said don't bother, since at this stage of life it's too much effort for too little gain.

Then why are there glaring mistakes in your post?

You don't have OCD, and a laptop is WAY too excessive.
I'm not an OCD expert, but it wouldn't surprise me if some people are particularly obsessive-compulsive over very specific things like handwritten material but not typed writing.

same. but i don't look for excuses or people/things to blame.

sorry for sounding like a bitch, but you can't go through life saying that everything's unfair and blaming everything on someone else. life is NOT FAIR. you will not always have a level playing field. employers won't look at your resume and say, oh but he got hand cramps all through uni, give him extra brownie points and look upon him more favourably.
Well, you can put up with it. Good for you. I'm merely using the entitlements that the Board of Studies gives me, because they decided to make at least this part of life slightly fairer.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
Special provisions always feel like cheating to me, and should only be for people who have actually injured their hand. That's the only 'condition' which would realistically limit their writing speed from what they can normally do.

she basically told everyone she made it up :|.
Did this actually happen? I'm pretty sure I know who it is.

ajdlinux

HSC
Special provisions always feel like cheating to me, and should only be for people who have actually injured their hand. That's the only 'condition' which would realistically limit their writing speed from what they can normally do.
What if your normal writing speed is considerably below average due to a long-term problem?

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
What if your normal writing speed is considerably below average due to a long-term problem?
A long term problem such as an injured hand? I dont see any other problems that might limit your writing that would give a valid excuse for special provisions

ajdlinux

HSC
A long term problem such as an injured hand? I dont see any other problems that might limit your writing that would give a valid excuse for special provisions
Are you saying that there aren't any other problems that might limit writing speed, or that there are other problems that limit writing speed, but they aren't serious enough to warrant special provisions?

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Are you saying that there aren't any other problems that might limit writing speed, or that there are other problems that limit writing speed, but they aren't serious enough to warrant special provisions?
they aren't serious enough to warrant special provisions. it's you. learn to live with it.

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Probably 25% of people with special provisions actually need it. The other 75% are just exploiting the system. Slow hand writing speed and stress; toughen the fuck up. We all get stressed its a way of life.

sj1990

HSC
I know a few people who had juvenile arthritus, and so got extra writing time/rest time because of that. I think that's pretty fair, and a legit reason...however, that wouldn't be a big percentage of people getting provisions for writing...

duckcowhybrid

HSC
There's a guy in my grade who broke his finger in March last year and got an extra half an hour for his IPT HSC and then stateranked, by the same token there's a guy that got a tumour in his cheek last September and still ended up with 94 for his IPT HSC, and is now coming top 10 for Philosophy. There's another guy who gets a half hour break after 90 minutes because he has a heart condition (pacemaker). Mind you he does his school exams just fine without extra time. Some people legit need it and others just fake it.

ajdlinux

HSC
There's a guy in my grade who broke his finger in March last year and got an extra half an hour for his IPT HSC and then stateranked, by the same token there's a guy that got a tumour in his cheek last September and still ended up with 94 for his IPT HSC, and is now coming top 10 for Philosophy. There's another guy who gets a half hour break after 90 minutes because he has a heart condition (pacemaker). Mind you he does his school exams just fine without extra time. Some people legit need it and others just fake it.
Hmm, so of those people, who are the fakers and who genuinely needs them?

alisondance

HSC

yeah i get what you mean, i think although some people have reasons they are able to deal with it - like one of the guys at my school - though play this disability up in the HSC getting special provisions which they dnt necessarily need - like they don't get them for class work or other exams...

im curious about the OCD, do you use a computer in class and how does it help - like is it because you are able to delete mistakes without having the entire document looking messy?
my aunty has massive problems with ocd which extends further than just written material, so im genuinely interested is it just written material?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)