Speeches - eye contact (1 Viewer)

3Gis2G

HSC
Does anyone know what percentage of a speech must contain proper eye contact in order to recieve all possible marks which could be awarded?

3Gis2G

HSC
What?

There is no mathematical formula to it.
Not looking for any formula; just wondering as to how much of the speech should be done with eye-contact (5 minute speech) to get all marks devoted to eye-contact ...

Luxxey

candied queen
HSC
Not a "percentage", but eye contact should be maintained during the introduction (when the teacher is concentrated on you) and during the conclusion - both aren't hard to memorise, and leave a good impression. Throughout the body of your speech, you should look at your audience every sentence or two.

One of my pet peeves though is when people read a sentence then look up at the end. Do not do this. One method I like to do is to memorise the first sentence on each palmcard, and specific textual examples like quotes, so that more meaningful eye contact can be achieved. That should suffice for full marks in that area.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Most of the time. Also, don't just scan the room but concentrate on a specific person for a couple of seconds then move onto another person.

AmieLea

HSC
i look up for around 40-100% for each sentence. depending on your english level, this should earn you full marks :) just practise writing and speaking it heaps (though don't speak it too much, coz i find that if i do this, my speech comes out in monotone and therefore becomes boring to the audience) and look down occasionally to remind yourself wat's to come

good luck! :sun:

AmieLea

HSC
Most of the time. Also, don't just scan the room but concentrate on a specific person for a couple of seconds then move onto another person.
haha, and force eye contact to those who are talking or txting underneath their desks!!! it hilarous to see the teacher reprimand them after your concentrated eyeballing :rofl:

deviousgeek

The Game.
HSC
Just memorise your speech well enough, and give the marker as much eye contact as you can. Just be sure that you look every now and then to make sure you're on track and that you haven't gone over to the next palm card xD (I happened to have done this today).

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I'd aim for around 95+%. I'm not saying less won't get you fill marks, but you should aim high. You shouldn't really be having to read anything at all.

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
technically you should have 100% eye contact, since you're meant to memorise your speech. your palm cards should just be there with a few words as a guide.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
technically you should have 100% eye contact, since you're meant to memorise your speech. your palm cards should just be there with a few words as a guide.
I was allowing for glances at palm cards, but sure, 100%. Go for it. 5 minute speech isn't to hard to memorise.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
If you don't manage to memorise it all, try using your peripheral vision to detect when the teacher is actually looking at you xD

gesh17

HSC
N/A
We recently did an oral assessment for Ad. English and just before presenting my speech, I asked my teacher whether we'd be marked on eye contact and he pretty much indirectly said "I don't give a shit." I ended up getting 20/20.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)