standard scaling is higher than advanced? (1 Viewer)

JJ_Lin

HSC
I had subjects as followed:
english standard
chinese B speaker
Math EX 1
Math EX 2
Chemistry
Physics
SDD

I putted evrything 90, I've got 98.40
I then changed standard english to advanced
the result was 98.10?

Since when standard's scaling is higher than advanced???????????
And is that ture, math extension 1, is counted as a 2 units subject in HSC??????

thanks!

stevey6404

HSC
Remember the fact that there's more people doing Standard than Advanced so you might have more competitors, hence more people wanting to get into the top bands.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Scaling for advanced english and standard english is the same. BUT, it's much, much, much, much harder to get a high mark in standard than in advanced.

Math extension 1 (mxt1) only counts as 2 units if you do mxt2, otherwise it counts as 1 unit with 2 units being advanced mathematics.

moke

HSC
you do not understand the scaling process. in the state, something like 4% of the canditure for standard english get a band 6, whilst in advanced its more like 12-15%. To get a band 6 in standard you have to be averaging 95-100%, whilst you could get away with 85-90% in advanced. thusly it is MUCH HARDER to get a band 6 in standard and statistically unlikely. Which is why when the marks are aligned, according to SAM, a 90 in standard is worth more than a 90 in advanced.

shady145

Banned
HSC
you do not understand the scaling process. in the state, something like 4% of the canditure for standard english get a band 6
4% i think not, lol its only .73% last year so approx 74 people

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Scaling for advanced english and standard english is the same. BUT, it's much, much, much, much harder to get a high mark in standard than in advanced.

Math extension 1 (mxt1) only counts as 2 units if you do mxt2, otherwise it counts as 1 unit with 2 units being advanced mathematics.
This =)

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Lolwtf @ moke?

Standard and Advanced English are considered as one subject when sized up for scaling by the UAC. The reason Standard might give a slightly higher scaled mark in SAM is because it's not 100% accurate. It's based on previous year's results and it only estimates, so there will always be slight errors.

But yes, even though they're considered the same subject in terms of scaling, the cohort in Standard are generally less intelligent than Advanced, which means most of the top range in the scaling process are from Advanced.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
What I'd be interested in, is if Advanced is aligned the same way that Standard is. :S??

HSC
i thought it was less than 0.2% who get a band 6 for standard

The first exam we do is sat by both standard and advanced..and
from what I've heard..that determines the aligning whatever
for your second exam..which is different than the other

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
So for a standard student to do well, he/she must do well in Paper 1 (beat the majority of the Advanced people)
and then top Paper 2 (which shouldn't be hard if he/she is aiming to beat the Advanced People in Paper 1)

clearly, there is nothing preventing the Standard Students from getting a Band 6.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
What I'd be interested in, is if Advanced is aligned the same way that Standard is. :S??
They're aligned based on paper 1 marks, as explained by ninetypercent :)

So for a standard student to do well, he/she must do well in Paper 1 (beat the majority of the Advanced people)
and then top Paper 2 (which shouldn't be hard if he/she is aiming to beat the Advanced People in Paper 1)

clearly, there is nothing preventing the Standard Students from getting a Band 6.
Exactly, it's just very difficult to ^^

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Who cares.. it is generally advisable to do Advanced anyway.
Some schools force their students to do Standard English if they don't get band 6 in the School certificate.

These students need to know that it is possible to excel in Standard.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Some schools force their students to do Standard English if they don't get band 6 in the School certificate.

These students need to know that it is possible to excel in Standard.
I feel sorry for those guys lol.. .band 6 in SC means jack shit anyway..

moke

HSC
Lolwtf @ moke?

Standard and Advanced English are considered as one subject when sized up for scaling by the UAC. The reason Standard might give a slightly higher scaled mark in SAM is because it's not 100% accurate. It's based on previous year's results and it only estimates, so there will always be slight errors.

But yes, even though they're considered the same subject in terms of scaling, the cohort in Standard are generally less intelligent than Advanced, which means most of the top range in the scaling process are from Advanced.
Whilst I'm sure you had fun negative repping me, and I admit that what I said about SAM was unclear and misleading, if you are suggesting that standard and advanced are scaled completely the same then you are horribly mistaken. It's a myth that marks are scaled "just because of the differences in canditature." Marks are scaled because some subjects are harder than others. Which is why it is easier to get a band 6 in advanced than it is in standard and also why a raw exam mark of 70 will often scale to 100 at the right school.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Whilst I'm sure you had fun negative repping me, and I admit that what I said about SAM was unclear and misleading, if you are suggesting that standard and advanced are scaled completely the same then you are horribly mistaken. It's a myth that marks are scaled "just because of the differences in canditature." Marks are scaled because some subjects are harder than others. Which is why it is easier to get a band 6 in advanced than it is in standard and also why a raw exam mark of 70 will often scale to 100 at the right school.
Of course we know that some subjects are harder than others. That's why the top general mark is only 91 compared to the top 2U maths mark being 100.

But, english advanced and standard are counted as one course and hence scaled the same - the only difference is in how the marks are aligned.

shady145

Banned
HSC
Of course we know that some subjects are harder than others. That's why the top general mark is only 91 compared to the top 2U maths mark being 100.

But, english advanced and standard are counted as one course and hence scaled the same - the only difference is in how the marks are aligned.
exactly!!!

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
May I ask why the so called "easier" English course is aptly named "Advanced" whereas the so called "harder" English course is named "Standard"?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)