Standard v Advanced English (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
hi everyone, i am currently in year 11 doing advanced english and ranked something like 60 out of 80, and i am considering dropping to standard. so my question is, is it better to be ranked 60 out of 80 for advanced or top 3 for standard. ( my school is ranked like 170-180)

thanks

broy

my cock is black
HSC
I would recommend trying harder for the preliminary(year 11) and try and reach average (40/80), if you are in this area in the time the HSC comes along you will do fine if you work hard and since you will be in advanced your mark will be ranked overrall higher and gain a better UAI(if that's what you want to do).

I currently rank a bit higher then you in your English, but I know I can do a lot better with some hard work, so i am not even thinking of dropping to standard.

1bpcsmem

HSC
Just try a bit harder and see if there is an improvement within your rank or whether you are able to cope with the pressure. After that, consider whether dropping down to standard would be the best option.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
  • Advanced English students must be positioned in the top 4% [top 1131] in the state to received a scaled mark of 90/100.
  • Standard English students must be positioned in the top 0.1% [top 31] in the state to received a scaled mark of 90/100.
It's your choice, which one would you rather pick?

Uncle

Banned
HSC
  • Advanced English students must be positioned in the top 4% [top 1131] in the state to received a scaled mark of 90/100.
  • Standard English students must be positioned in the top 0.1% [top 31] in the state to received a scaled mark of 90/100.
Holy shit maybe I should have done English Advanced back then.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I've seen some year's get about 5.31% in the band 6 for Adv. English... so it changes from year to year I'm sure.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah alright, but it definitely shows the difference in the courses... :)

HSC
do u really think u need to drop to standard? i would say try to stay in advanced but depending on your other subjects and if you could handle advanced or not with the amount of time required to complete the work.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
Keep English Advanced. Unless you are really sure that you'll be Top 5 in Standard English.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
Yo, where'd you find that out?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Despite these statistics, there is no scaling advantage to be obtained by choosing Advanced over Standard.

victoria10

HSC
Despite these statistics, there is no scaling advantage to be obtained by choosing Advanced over Standard.
Yeah exactly, there is no difference.

I am doing Advanced and I'm not at the top of my class, but im not at the bottom.
I would keep it for the rest of year 11 then in Term 4 then evaluate if you still want to keep it, if not drop down to standard. there is no difference in taking Advance or Standard though...

victoria10

HSC
Yeah exactly, there is no difference.

I am doing Advanced and I'm not at the top of my class, but im not at the bottom.
I would keep it for the rest of year 11 then in Term 4 then evaluate if you still want to keep it, if not drop down to standard. there is no difference in taking Advance or Standard though...

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
The difference is that by doing Advanced English you are given are far more complex and challenging and more extensive education for the course compared to the Standard English course... and thus the reason why there are more successful Band 6s in Advanced over Standard.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
is it harder to get a band 5 in standard than in advanced? like is it only the band sixes that are restricted to a certain number.

victoria10

HSC
The difference is that by doing Advanced English you are given are far more complex and challenging and more extensive education for the course compared to the Standard English course... and thus the reason why there are more successful Band 6s in Advanced over Standard.
yeah but if your not capible of doing the work. why would you put yourself through it even if you could MAYBE get a better mark.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
Yeah, but what you said was that there is no difference, when there most definetly is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)