Stimulus booklet, what are you picking? (1 Viewer)

_blank

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm doing The Road Not Taken - yeah, yeah...it's overused but I'm going to use it - because its easy to analyze and was basically the first thing I saw when I opened the booklet (duh, it's on the first page).

By the way r u guys memporising responses?... I'm just memorising loads of quotes... i have at least 6 quotes from each text exclusing those from the stimulus booklet .. for example "the ivory trail"... i mean 6 quotes?... lol... it's a visula.. so yeh....
I'm memorizing ideas, phrases, techniques and quotes - then manipulating it towards the question and creating my own thesis during the exam.

bEAbEA

HSC
i'm studying imaginative journeys and my prescribed text is the tempest. any ideas on what would be the best text from the stimulus booklet to do???

Danni07

happy little vegemite
HSC
I'm doing Wind in the Willows... I realy can't remember why I choose it all those months ago, but hey, stick with what you know yeah?
I've memorised quotes, techniques and effects, and I have a thesis that will be able to be applied to almost any question (fingers crossed)

babywhitto

I'm doing "The Road Not Taken" easy as man.

and if i need another i'll crap on bout the ivrory trial book cover thingy.

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
silvermoon said:
thats pretty much it - they could specify...but we all know they wont.
They specified a single scene for King Lear one year.
So we might get really really unlucky and they will specify which one we have to do.

I know them all, but given a choice I'd use The Road Not Taken and/or Wind in the Willows

Peartie

HSC
its not also necessarily JUST one text, they can ask for 2 texts from the booklet and one realted or two of each and vice versa etc...

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Emma-Jayde said:
So we might get really really unlucky and they will specify which one we have to do.

I know them all, but given a choice I'd use The Road Not Taken and/or Wind in the Willows
Yes, but we are *supposed* to know all of King Lear as its our given text, the stimulus booklet is a collection of texts and you don't have to know them all as there is no way they'd ask it as supported by the Board of Studies document.

Peartie said:
its not also necessarily JUST one text, they can ask for 2 texts from the booklet and one realted or two of each and vice versa etc...
No. One Stimulus, 2 relateds(though many only end up doing one) for the HSC - your school may choose to make an unusual assesment where your scenario may occur, but it won't happen in the HSC.

vas y molo

Im doing:

blood on the tracks
Wind in the Willows

because they all relate perfectly to my additional texts and LIB to me.

MaryJ_

HSC
I really like 'The town where time stands still,' it rocks when you get questions about greater understanding. 'The Ivory Trail' is pretty good too. Since its up for a lot of interpretation, you could smush it into just about any thesis/ question, plus I find that visual techniques are a nice break from language techniques.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
Emma-Jayde said:

yes, you're quite right, they did specify. HOWEVER, that was in the modules where you SHOULD be prepared to have them specify a particular section --> the reason they don't in Paper 1 is that students are not all doing the same 'journey type' and it is thought that to specify might unfairly advantage on group of students.

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
silvermoon said:
yes, you're quite right, they did specify. HOWEVER, that was in the modules where you SHOULD be prepared to have them specify a particular section --> the reason they don't in Paper 1 is that students are not all doing the same 'journey type' and it is thought that to specify might unfairly advantage on group of students.

Hmm, yeah I guess you're right there. Some of the texts would be pretty hard to use for the different types of journeys

VonDavis

(",) ..... *'\_/'*
HSC
I Chose Shirley Geok-lin Lim's extract The town where time stands still -
I'm doing Imaginative

jack white

After Hours
HSC
all of the texts, excluding atwood's poem, really bore me. i am obliged to go with "the road not taken" because i am doing physical journeys and the whole road motif just fits. i'd love to do atwood's poem but i honestly fail to recognise the direct links it has with physical journeys. am i alone here? please enlighten me.

people think that studying "the road not taken" is straightforward however, ensuring originality in examining it is genuinely difficult. this is the shitty predicament which faces me and as i have noticed, many others picking frost's poem.

waterbottle

your buttcheeks is warm
HSC
with atwood, you can talk about how the experiences gained from actually going on the physical journey can't be gained in any other way (at least not to the same extent), eg "a cliff is not known as rough except by hand"

i'm using that for imaginative journeys though and to be honest i don't know exactly what you have to say for physical so maybe that wouldn't fit. but that's what i'd use.

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
i'm doing peter skrynecki for physical journeys and im not sure which to do from the stimulus booklet, i don't really mind but im not really keen on 'the road not taken' only because its another poem and i am soo sick of poems! I'm doing the lyrics on the road again by willie nelson as my related text and i havn't really thought of a second.. soo disorganised!

Gibbo69er

Poor Student
HSC
I'm still unsure of what stimulus booklet text i'm doing.

I know I really should have chosen by now, but still. :rolleyes:

I'm thinkin road not taken and wind in the willows.

i did those two for the trial and got 12/15, which is a great result for me. I really suck at english

LordSeafood

HSC
Gibbo69er said:
I really suck at english
Yes me to as for 3 years i had this really terrible teacher who really put me off ... but thats neither here nor there

The two texts that i have and will be studying further are:
The Road not taken
And
The Ivory Trail

probably the two most simple texts but with my lack of enthusiasm for english i want to take the easiest way out but still maintain decent marks. So i can only hope that everyone else uses other texts so the markers see mine and dont see the same texts everyone else is using :D

chidori69

yeah! im perverted!
HSC
^^ i agree im doing the ivory trail and road not taken.. because its less complicated then the other texts =_=

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
i've always done ivory trail because its the easiest, you don;t have to memorise any quotes for it except that heading 'not all journeys have an ending and the author's name. its visual, sticks to your head better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)