Stop teachers from finding out hsc marks (1 Viewer)

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
if i were to ring up the BOS and request that my hsc raw marks remain confidential, will they do this for me?

that is, ensure that my teachers dont get a recording/indication of my marks?

P.S. "just try it out" - going to regardless, but what is the likely outcome?

do they HAVE to know? and if so, for what reason?

Politic

HSC
N/A
if i were to ring up the BOS and request that my hsc raw marks remain confidential, will they do this for me?

that is, ensure that my teachers dont get a recording/indication of my marks?

P.S. "just try it out" - going to regardless, but what is the likely outcome?

do they HAVE to know? and if so, for what reason?
I think school principals know so they can presumably allocate resources where needed if there is a change/trend in people getting certain HSC bands in certain faculties, subjects etc.

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
one kid, surely, wouldn't make that much of a difference?

plus, isn't it my private property?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Teachers will receive student's aligned marks. Raw marks aren't given out, unless you request them and they are sent to you. I just happened to give my marks and transcripts to teachers so they could see how they faired up to actual HSC markers.

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
so can i request that they receive NONE of my marks
nothing. zilch.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
No. They will get your aligned marks, which is what all the students receive as well. If you ring BOS there is a very small chance they will be able to do anything about it - the marks are there for the principal and teachers to improve themselves.

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
No, because the school needs it to see how they can improve and stuff.
is there a rule or statement that affirms this?

isn't it my property? or have i signed somewhere down that track that deprives me of this?

Edit:

would i successfully be able to argue on the same grounds that newspapers aren't allowed to report on any specific marks?

or anything?

what would make a valid (but fabricated ;) ) reason for arguing this? - tips?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Also I believe any work you do becomes the property of the bos / det

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
Why do you even want to hide your marks?
long story br8

and many reasons

main1 : teachers had very high hopes in me as i was able to mask my laziness very well and get 1st rank in a few subjects (including engadv) and i did barely any study - regretting badly, but live and learn - and it will defo show in my results

and many many more reasons that go deeper than this that will take a VERY long time to explain

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
There is no mechanism to request that marks are not disclosed to your school, nor do you have a right to confidentiality in such circumstances.

Education Act section 18A

(6) School results must not be publicly revealed if the results of an identified student are revealed, except as follows:
(a) to the student or to the student’s parents, or to anyone with the student’s or parent’s consent,
(b) to the principal of a school (including a school in another State or Territory) at which the student is enrolling, is enrolled or was previously enrolled,
(c) in the case of results of School Certificate or Higher School Certificate examinations and related assessments-by or with the approval of the Board, by way of the publication of the results of students who the Board considers have achieved outstanding results.

The marks are disclosed to your principal. You may have luck asking him/her not to pass the marks on to teachers.

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
There is no mechanism to request that marks are not disclosed to your school, nor do you have a right to confidentiality in such circumstances.

Education Act section 18A

(6) School results must not be publicly revealed if the results of an identified student are revealed, except as follows:
(a) to the student or to the student’s parents, or to anyone with the student’s or parent’s consent,
(b) to the principal of a school (including a school in another State or Territory) at which the student is enrolling, is enrolled or was previously enrolled,
(c) in the case of results of School Certificate or Higher School Certificate examinations and related assessments-by or with the approval of the Board, by way of the publication of the results of students who the Board considers have achieved outstanding results.

The marks are disclosed to your principal. You may have luck asking him/her not to pass the marks on to teachers.
thanks br8

and this sucks majorly hamstring (lolwut?)

there has to be some way...

dest

HSC
Dude, remember that stupid ass piece of paper you signed at each exam??
That gives the BOS the right to do what it wants with your papers, and by association, marks.
In good conscience of course they would never name you and your marks to the public arena, but schools have full access to ALL marks.. aligned that is.
I have seen the sheets the schools get - they have your name, each subject, with your final hsc marks. There were no exclusions

dest

HSC
there has 2 be some exceptions
There is no normal course of redress for this... If you are set on this, I would recommend/ I would do myself:
1 - Write to the board of studies, requesting that your marks not be sent to your school. Pick the director/ CEO/ President whoever he is and write a LETTER, not an email
2 - If the BOS tell you to get stuffed, which is likely, write to the education minister whatshisface and complain
3 - If whatshisface tells you all marks must be released to schools, which is also likely, then go and talk to your principle, they may be able to stop teachers accessing marks

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
long story br8

and many reasons

main1 : teachers had very high hopes in me as i was able to mask my laziness very well and get 1st rank in a few subjects (including engadv) and i did barely any study - regretting badly, but live and learn - and it will defo show in my results

and many many more reasons that go deeper than this that will take a VERY long time to explain
If the rest of your class went okay, then you might be alright. Only your overall scores (not internal/external) are shown to teachers. Do not quote me on that, it's just what I was told by the teachers at my school - perhaps they missed out on the full copy withheld by the principal.

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
If the rest of your class went okay, then you might be alright. Only your overall scores (not internal/external) are shown to teachers. Do not quote me on that, it's just what I was told by the teachers at my school - perhaps they missed out on the full copy withheld by the principal.
nah they get all 3

int/ext/mod

+ thanks dest

need some ideas on what to complain about

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
maybe i should just face the disappointment as punishment

hopefully i will learn from all this

i was under the impression that it was 'too late' to start studying (at the end of term 1 ffs lol) in comparison to every1 else

but after still kicking ass with little to no study, i realise now how much time i had and lost

and it all caught up to me in the hsc (just survived the trials with study notes made the night b4)

anyway, message of the day "Act now. Forget what has passed and work with what is left."

but, im still happy to hear some ideas to complain about (in the likely event that i change my mind and complain)

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
If your teachers see your mark, they will look at your name, your mark, think about it and then forget about it. They have more important things to do than contemplate about your or anyone else's marks, unless it's like 100.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)