Stressing out :/ (1 Viewer)

HSCExposed

HSC
Okay well, I used to go to a crap school where people would kickback and relax while doing their work. We were hardly given any homework and just done class work , exams and assignments. Recently I moved to a private school, which is a really big change . The subjects that I do at the private school are 2U Maths, Ext 1 Maths, Advanced English, Ext 1 English, Biology, Physics and Legal Studies. My first day at the school was crazy. I already missed out on a lot of content and the teachers gave me booklets of work for each subject to catch up on. Also this school is very demanding, they have exams every term and expect you to do well. You get a lot of homework for each subject. I seriously don't know what to do, I am stressing out. I'm not sure if I can cope with Ext 1 English and if I want to drop it then I'll have to drop Ext1 Maths. What should I do? Seriously I am stressing out :(

Thief

!!
HSC
this school is very demanding, they have exams every term
That's very normal.

I'm not sure if I can cope with Ext 1 English and if I want to drop it then I'll have to drop Ext1 Maths.
You have 12 units. If you're in year 11, you have to do minimum 12 units so you can't drop. Also why do you have to drop both? In year 12 you can choose to drop just one extension you know.

J280

HSC
Okay well, I used to go to a crap school where people would kickback and relax while doing their work. We were hardly given any homework and just done class work , exams and assignments. Recently I moved to a private school, which is a really big change . The subjects that I do at the private school are 2U Maths, Ext 1 Maths, Advanced English, Ext 1 English, Biology, Physics and Legal Studies. My first day at the school was crazy. I already missed out on a lot of content and the teachers gave me booklets of work for each subject to catch up on. Also this school is very demanding, they have exams every term and expect you to do well. You get a lot of homework for each subject. I seriously don't know what to do, I am stressing out. I'm not sure if I can cope with Ext 1 English and if I want to drop it then I'll have to drop Ext1 Maths. What should I do? Seriously I am stressing out :(
How much work are you getting every night?

J280

HSC
That's very normal.

You have 12 units. If you're in year 11, you have to do minimum 12 units so you can't drop. Also why do you have to drop both? In year 12 you can choose to drop just one extension you know.
I agree with this, it's normal to get exams every term, and since you're on 12 units, you're gonna have to wait until Year 12 to drop both/one extension course.

Thief

!!
HSC
And to add on to this: You're only a month or so into your new school. I know it can be hard adjusting to a new school environment on top of your new heavy workload. But please don't stress! Find a school counsellor or some sort of advisor (possibly a teacher you like?) at your school who you can talk to about your difficulties in adjusting to school and I'm sure they can help you out with it.

J280

HSC
^ I also found the first month to be the most difficult, because I've been gaming all through Year 10 and after some time you should adjust to the workload. Don't stress yourself out too much, it's still the preliminary year :)

HSCExposed

HSC
That's very normal.

Yes I know, but I'm actually thinking of dropping both extension subjects and taking up modern history, is that a good idea ?

HSCExposed

HSC
I agree with this, it's normal to get exams every term, and since you're on 12 units, you're gonna have to wait until Year 12 to drop both/one extension course.
How much units do you need to do in year 12? Can I drop both extension subjects by then?

HSCExposed

HSC
And to add on to this: You're only a month or so into your new school. I know it can be hard adjusting to a new school environment on top of your new heavy workload. But please don't stress! Find a school counsellor or some sort of advisor (possibly a teacher you like?) at your school who you can talk to about your difficulties in adjusting to school and I'm sure they can help you out with it.
True that. My sister went to this school for about 2 years and still is! And she has no trouble whatsoever with the amount of work she gets!

HSCExposed

HSC
Guys I'm doing Physics but I find it to be difficult my only option is business studies , should I change?

Fonzie32

HSC
Guys I'm doing Physics but I find it to be difficult my only option is business studies , should I change?
Look mate, this isn't for us to decide for you. But if you really want advise... If you find physics too hard, change to business studies. Business studies is all logical and makes sense. Everything will relate to each other. You can bullshit a lot of stuff in business and still do well. There is a lot of content, but it's all related stuff and one of those subjects that the content will come to mind when you need it to.

J280

HSC
Look mate, this isn't for us to decide for you. But if you really want advise... If you find physics too hard, change to business studies. Business studies is all logical and makes sense. Everything will relate to each other. You can bullshit a lot of stuff in business and still do well. There is a lot of content, but it's all related stuff and one of those subjects that the content will come to mind when you need it to.
This is what I did, exactly.
Switched from Physics to Business.
Have never looked back :)
But I'll tell you this - only switch if you DISLIKE the content. If you like the content but find it hard, persevere with it and it'll be worth it in the end :)

mrpali

HSC
I had the exact same problem, i came from a kickback school and moved to a private this term and in the beginning i found that it was stressful, but the key to this is managing the time you have wisely. So don't stress it is hard but if your committed it should all work out fine :)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
To OP,
Just remember one thing, it is normal to take some time to adjust to the new school environment and demands. Remember, what the school's expectation of you and your expectations of yourself may be different, while the school would ideally expect everyone to get 100%, but the reality is no school rarely has every single person getting 100% in all exams, so you just need to assert your expectation of just trying to do the very best you can and doing everything to the best of your ability because that is all anyone can and should expect of you. Another thing to keep in mind is to prioritise, consider which assessment is the most important to study for right now and prioritise studying for assessments over doing homework-since assessments counts towards your final marks, homework doesn't. Just relax, calm down, make to do lists-be organised and be focused, and you will be fine:) Best wishes for you to ace your studies this year and remember to not worry about too much about 'what ifs' because the time will come if you need to make these decisions, worrying about things that haven't happened yet adds to unnecessarily aggravate your high stress levels. Hope you make plenty of new friends in this school as well:)

turnerloos

TAFE Executive Officer
HSC
calm tits pls. its only prelim... hsc is real deal. just try to catch up step by step :) Good Luck

enoilgam

HSC
Also this school is very demanding, they have exams every term and expect you to do well.
Didnt you used to have this at your old school. I went to a fairly average school and we pretty much had an exam/assessment every term in each subject from Years 7 - 12.

You get a lot of homework for each subject.
If you feel as if the homework isnt beneficial, dont do it. A lot of people feel compelled to do the homework due to pressure from teachers - remember, it is your HSC, so you need to do what is best for you.

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
New school, it happens. Why is it so that you have to drop MMX1 to drop EMX1?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)