Student from abroad interested in UNSW (1 Viewer)

Elitewolf

HSC
N/A
Hello Everyone!

I have a master degree at the University of Chile and now I’m looking for a university to pursue my doctoral studies. I’ve been thoroughly looking for info about all the universities in Australia and the U.K., and the University of New South Wales is one of my favourites.

UNSW is among the best universities in the World according to rankings like ARWU, THES and QS. Besides, its school of mathematics fits very well to my research interests (nonlinear phenomena).

However, the extra-academic aspects are important for me as well. This is why I’m appealing to you in order to get some info about what social life at UNSW is like, accommodation, what living in Sydney is like, panoramas...

And what about the eye candy? Sorry, but I had to ask :p Eye candy in my campus SUCKS and I don’t wanna have the same experience again.

Love and peace.

halapenyo

HSC
eye candy in a south american university sucks?

mirakon

nigga
HSC
If you're looking at unsw for better eye candy than a south american uni, you will probably be disappointed

TheStallion

HSC
Here are campus photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/unsw/

Chicks on campus suck unless you're in the arts faculty, maths chicks are 99% asian unfortunately, like you said with the high international reputation we attract a lot of people from Asia who move to study here. You'll need to meet people in the city nightlife and stuff like that, or alternatively through clubs and social events at uni. There may be a society for people from Chile/South America to help you out as well, but i'm not sure. Certainly plenty of societies for international students though.

UNSW is well known for its social aspect though, plenty of great parties, as I said go through all the photos on facebook/flickr/anywhere you can find and do a bit of research. The student union is generally responsible for all the fun events, and their site is http://www.arc.unsw.edu.au/

Good luck!

HSC
N/A
Here are campus photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/unsw/

Chicks on campus suck unless you're in the arts faculty, maths chicks are 99% asian unfortunately, like you said with the high international reputation we attract a lot of people from Asia who move to study here. You'll need to meet people in the city nightlife and stuff like that, or alternatively through clubs and social events at uni. There may be a society for people from Chile/South America to help you out as well, but i'm not sure. Certainly plenty of societies for international students though.

UNSW is well known for its social aspect though, plenty of great parties, as I said go through all the photos on facebook/flickr/anywhere you can find and do a bit of research. The student union is generally responsible for all the fun events, and their site is http://www.arc.unsw.edu.au/

Good luck!
Plenty of dumb blondes there.

Also there is a pole dancing society on campus where arts students whore themselves.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Eye candy... uhh if you're into Asians, you'll be in for a great time.

TheStallion

HSC
Accom depends on where you want to live, and your budget. Would you like to live on campus in a college environment, where food is provided/social activities happen all the time etc, and get more of a home feel? Or would you like to live on campus in a more independent apartment where you can do your own thing? Or would you like to live in your own house/apartment somewhere in/out of the city? It's really totally up to you.

I guess the issue with asians at UNSW is that there's just so many, it really is an asian dominated campus in the science/engineering/business/law faculties. Most white guys generally aren't into asian chicks either, never been a fan of the looks I guess.

Elitewolf

HSC
N/A
I guess the ideal thing to me would be to have an independent apartment not far from the campus.

I made a quick web search and the expected "salary" for a postgraduate student in Australia is around $20k a year (yet this depends on the uni and the major I guess).

someguy12

HSC
Something you need to be aware of is that housing is extremely expensive in this part of Sydney. Most students either live at home (in the suburbs) and spend hours commuting each day, or they live in sharehouses which are overcrowded and still almost unaffordable. You're probably going to pay at least 450 a week for your own apartment in the Eastern Suburbs, and it will be a tiny 1 room shit-hole. Even then you will have a hard time actually getting such a property because every time one comes onto the market dozens of people apply and many of them have full time jobs and rental references.

TheStallion

HSC
I would disagree with the pricing above for homes, but the postgrad salary may be around right. To confirm stuff though:

Use these websites for housing:
http://www.domain.com.au/
Use Google Maps to find locations near uni and stuff.

Hopefully a current PhD student can comment on salary, but I think you could find employment as a tutor at the university on about $60 an hour, or perhaps working outside of uni as a private tutor or doing anything else making extra on top of the base that the uni pays you to do the PhD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)