• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Students block people out of Education discussion (1 Viewer)

frog3

Good to see students block Nelson, hopefully it'll actually have an impact on the no VSU cause.

walrusbear

HSC
walrusbear said:
how does that mean students aren't helping workers??
i think i get you now

is there really a case, though, where students are getting too much support and the workers are suffering??

gerhard

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Well this is the sort of argument i've put forward before about the situation also, students are complaining that they are hard done by, but what about the people whom are out there working? It doesn't make sense to support students so much if you are not supporting workers enough.

Well alot of student protests have to do with the quality of the education they're recieving from the university, or the support they're getting from the government. There is a connection because everything is a balance, if you put more money into healthcare you have to take from somewhere else...

I think this protest is quite clearly about the impending VSU legislation. This legislation wont effect workers, because it has nothing to do with funding from the government. I really dont understand why you are talking about this.

walrusbear

HSC
gerhard said:
I think this protest is quite clearly about the impending VSU legislation. This legislation wont effect workers, because it has nothing to do with funding from the government. I really dont understand why you are talking about this.
it's the same tenuous link Nelson made in an attempt to demonise the protestors:

Cpt. Fuckface said:
"The next time you hear people in universities saying they need more money, the average truck driver, shop assistant, plumber or gas fitter in Australia, just have a look at the television footage as to where your hard-earned taxes are going..."

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
gerhard said:
He is talking generally about student protests about education.

From the books not bombs protest (where else would the proposed savings go?) to HECS protests.

Students complain about how hard they are done by, yet are supported by the rest of the community. The only ones who really don't have a reason to bitch at students are those that went through university while it was free.

walrusbear

HSC
Xayma said:
He is talking generally about student protests about education.

From the books not bombs protest (where else would the proposed savings go?) to HECS protests.

Students complain about how hard they are done by, yet are supported by the rest of the community. The only ones who really don't have a reason to bitch at students are those that went through university while it was free.
why does anyone have a reason to bitch about students?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
walrusbear said:
why does anyone have a reason to bitch about students?
Well when Bob the builder is helping subsidise the majority of Fred the student's degree which will give Fred a substantial increase in earning capacity I think he has every right to bitch.

Also people who need to be places in the city but are blocked by protestors.

walrusbear

HSC
withoutaface said:
Well when Bob the builder is helping subsidise the majority of Fred the student's degree which will give Fred a substantial increase in earning capacity I think he has every right to bitch.

what about when workers are protesting?

you know there's nothing inherently wrong with showing opposition to government decisions...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
To my knowledge there's only been one workers' protest that blocked the cities streets on a weekday, while there have been 5+ student ones.

walrusbear

HSC
withoutaface said:

why should people be angry at subsidising education??

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
walrusbear said:
Because the people you refer to are the ones subsidising it in the first place.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
walrusbear said:
Because they are subsidising others for an opportunity that was never offered to them, and imo anyone who attends university should pay the full cost back afterwards if they can afford it, because any "benefit to society" has been fulfilled through the issuing of an interest free loan for the money, and the earning capacity of a uni student is usually greatly increased, so I don't see why they shouldnt use part of this increased salary to pay for the process that brought them into it.

walrusbear

HSC
withoutaface said:
To my knowledge there's only been one workers' protest that blocked the cities streets on a weekday, while there have been 5+ student ones.
indicative of increasingly dire needs to draw attention to important issues i'd say

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Or the fact that Felix feels the need to hold as many protests as possible in order to make his penis feel bigger.

If the government doesn't care about a 1000+ person protest, why rae they going to care about another, much smaller, one two weeks later?

walrusbear

HSC
withoutaface said:
Because they are subsidising others for an opportunity that was never offered to them, and imo anyone who attends university should pay the full cost back afterwards if they can afford it, because any "benefit to society" has been fulfilled through the issuing of an interest free loan for the money, and the earning capacity of a uni student is usually greatly increased, so I don't see why they shouldnt use part of this increased salary to pay for the process that brought them into it.
i was under the impression students did pay back money for their education under the HECS scheme??

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
A politician is scared of a bunch of teens when there is sufficient police force present?

Come on.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
walrusbear said:
i was under the impression students did pay back money for their education under the HECS scheme??
You're only paying for part of it. I'm suggesting that HECS should be increased to the full amount.

walrusbear

HSC
withoutaface said:
Or the fact that Felix feels the need to hold as many protests as possible in order to make his penis feel bigger.

If the government doesn't care about a 1000+ person protest, why rae they going to care about another, much smaller, one two weeks later?
it's evidence of the unpopularity of government policy
as well as drawing public attention to it
obviously the ongoing attempts to oppose VSU proves how strongly people feel against it

walrusbear

HSC
withoutaface said:
You're only paying for part of it. I'm suggesting that HECS should be increased to the full amount.
how much is subsidised?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)