• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Students block people out of Education discussion (1 Viewer)

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
walrusbear said:
it's evidence of the unpopularity of government policy
as well as drawing public attention to it
obviously the ongoing attempts to oppose VSU proves how strongly people feel against it
It's funny how you only ever hear about the people who are against it. If I take the people I've talked to about VSU as a sample space, it would appear that the majority of people get nothing from the union (or nowhere near the union fees worth) and are completely for VSU.

walrusbear

HSC
BillyMak said:
It's funny how you only ever hear about the people who are against it. If I take the people I've talked to about VSU as a sample space, it would appear that the majority of people get nothing from the union (or nowhere near the union fees worth) and are completely for VSU.
refer to the many VSU threads
much of the union's qualities are less quantifiable and extend beyond individual financial benefit

walrusbear

HSC
withoutaface said:
Somewhere around 60-70%.
nice

i guess this helps lots of people who don't leave university with high paying jobs

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
walrusbear said:
nice

i guess this helps lots of people who don't leave university with high paying jobs
But the idea is that they won't reach the threshold and hence won't be affected.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Full fee makes a profit for the university. Hence why having more around is good for everyone else.

Rorix

HSC
Again, I like to reiterate that I'm really glad the Minister could not give his speech at this event. It was surely full of destructive ideology, and must be pre-emptively stopped. That is why this protest must be held to lock him out. I approve of said protest.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Walrusbear why not confront him yourself?

DR NELSON AVAILABLE FOR COMMENT

29 September 2005 MIN 2012/05

Dr Brendan Nelson, Minister for Education, Science and Training will, this afternoon, be available for comment on education policies.

DATE: Today, Thursday, 29 September 2005

WHEN: 3:00pm

WHERE: Level 8, CPO, 70 Phillip Street, Sydney
DR NELSON:

I said to the police, I said you know you’ve got these horses out here, I said you might get sniffer dogs – they’ll get rid of them more quickly than the horses. And the problem I have is unfortunately I’ve had instances where it does become out of control. There’s a herd and pack mentality. They do become quite violent, not just toward me but, as I say, to the police, and I’ve had a couple of incidents where they’ve tried to smash the cars at the window, and I’ve seen the police beaten to the ground, even using their capsicum spray until the reinforcements turn up, and that’s the kind of thing that unfortunately I understand we were looking at here today.

LAWS:

Imagine, imagine the money that’s been spent to secure these things. I mean we’re supposed to be worried about terrorism and we’ve got (inaudible) the police wasting their time on these clowns.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
You're just proving that university leftists are at least as individualist as their right wing counterparts.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I want free education, why should I have to pay for something which benefits me?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Xayma said:
He is talking generally about student protests about education.

From the books not bombs protest (where else would the proposed savings go?) to HECS protests.

Students complain about how hard they are done by, yet are supported by the rest of the community. The only ones who really don't have a reason to bitch at students are those that went through university while it was free.
Yes, that is exactly what I meant, and it is also (i believe) the argument of Nelson. It's odd that labor party voters (LABOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) support the stances of students while taking money away from the trades-people they are meant to be representing.

Last edited:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Ah but NTB that has to do with the changes in the basis of 'labor', it is more a party of BA Dip Eds than of railwaymen.....

Kafka

HSC
N/A
I was at uni that day. It was not violent. It was not a massive threat.

It is just Nelson using a tactic to show that "students" are all bad and anti-democratic blah blah ad nauseum.

Same with Abbott.

The HECS system is needed. The massive pointless increases designed to stamp out any hint of left wing political involvement is not.

Rorix

HSC
Please explain why it is of assistance to university students to try and prevent the Education Minister from entering a conference on education.

I present the following alternate courses of action:
Protest as the delegates leave the conference.
Raise your issues at any of the other 20000 countless protests.

Kafka

HSC
N/A
Rorix said:
Please explain why it is of assistance to university students to try and prevent the Education Minister from entering a conference on education.

I present the following alternate courses of action:
Protest as the delegates leave the conference.
Raise your issues at any of the other 20000 countless protests.
Dunno why. I merely said I was at uni. Got a coffee, got the SMH, drank coffee, had a smoke, watched protest for 20 seconds, had a look at the paper then headed of the Fisher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)