Super Smash Bros (1 Viewer)

seanieg89

HSC
im aiming to check out online in two or so days once i've unlocked all the stages and finished event mode so that will probably give me a better idea of 1v1 play. Im hoping the online is not as terrible as brawl where i have successfully connected to a grand total of like 6 matches out of a far larger number of attempts, it was very laggy too.
Play on dolphin netplay dude, the lag is so much less.

seanieg89

HSC
Is it possible to play the new one on it lol?

Also edge hogging has been removed in the new one, thoughts?
No, its for melee and PM. (You can also play 64 on project64k). The lag is so much less than nintendo console wifi though.

Its different, I would have to play for a while to get used to it. It does shift the balance of power a bit too much to the recovering player for my liking though.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
I would be so down for that.
ditto!

today tried the online for the first time, surprisingly few matches suffered from noticeable lag, of the 30 or so i played about 4 were laggy and only 1 was truly awfully unplayable (freezing every few seconds for an extended period of time ugh). Leads me to a certain complaint where a few seconds into that match i quit because it was quite obvious neither of us (it was a 1v1) had any idea how to play in those conditions. However, this locked me out of playing any matches online for 10 minutes, which was kind of irritating.

A good amount of modes and I like the distinction between For Glory and For Fun. Spammers galore in For Fun and 4 player Smash in For Glory is essentially rek the weakest player the most times (not sure if there is a way to make this mode stock rather than time limit to kinda cater for this but oh well). Had a lot of fun matches on For Glory though. Also glad to see a lot of variety in the characters picked during these matches.

Weaknesses include an absent chat system which is disappointing, the hassle of adding players as friends is still marginally if at all improved over Brawl which is also disappointing. I would also like more scope to make custom rooms (maybe you can and I just haven't discovered it yet but for now I'm going to assume you can't unless you're playing with friends).

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
ditto!

today tried the online for the first time, surprisingly few matches suffered from noticeable lag, of the 30 or so i played about 4 were laggy and only 1 was truly awfully unplayable (freezing every few seconds for an extended period of time ugh). Leads me to a certain complaint where a few seconds into that match i quit because it was quite obvious neither of us (it was a 1v1) had any idea how to play in those conditions. However, this locked me out of playing any matches online for 10 minutes, which was kind of irritating.

A good amount of modes and I like the distinction between For Glory and For Fun. Spammers galore in For Fun and 4 player Smash in For Glory is essentially rek the weakest player the most times (not sure if there is a way to make this mode stock rather than time limit to kinda cater for this but oh well). Had a lot of fun matches on For Glory though. Also glad to see a lot of variety in the characters picked during these matches.

Weaknesses include an absent chat system which is disappointing, the hassle of adding players as friends is still marginally if at all improved over Brawl which is also disappointing. I would also like more scope to make custom rooms (maybe you can and I just haven't discovered it yet but for now I'm going to assume you can't unless you're playing with friends).
Plsrespond tp mafia thread

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
zero suit is baws

just need to get used to landing finishers with her, attempted the Dair as a meteor smash on matches where i was more willing to play risky and failed spectacularly the vast majority of times lol

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
ok it appears that i am way better at team smash than 1 v 1, maining zero suit samus means I can rack on damage but unlike 1v1 i'm not reliant on technical finishers that are too difficult for an average player like me to execute perfectly every time.

Team smash is fun, but negatives include

1. Higher chance of a laggy match compared to 1v1, I would estimate the figure of laggy matches stands close to 40% for team smash and about 10% (if that) at 1v1
2. Less skilled players on average, which results in a few matches having at least one dude spamming the hell out of one particular move (worst offender so far appears to be sonic and his homing attack)

seanieg89

HSC
Does 2 bother you because of move spamming or because you want better competition?

I don't mind playing bad people now and then, makes winning easy lol.

If you want better competition you should join smashboards. This way you can also meet people to play offline with.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Does 2 bother you because of move spamming or because you want better competition?

I don't mind playing bad people now and then, makes winning easy lol.

If you want better competition you should join smashboards. This way you can also meet people to play offline with.
both tbh, move spamming can be irritating if one person on the other team is decent, the person on your team is useless and the other person on the opposition insists on spamming a large AoE move over and over while ur occupied. Having said that, they are often fairly easy to deal with but the repetitive play that results becomes boring after a while, there is a certain thrill in playing better players even if you get your ass handed to you.

i have a lot of friends from monster hunter who have moved to smash too, and i played a few matches with them (most of them are of my level which so they are great matches) although the online features are quite primitive and organising something with them over smash, particularly considering most of them are from overseas and there is time difference etc. has proved to be a challenge at times. It's really a matter of getting lucky that they are on smash at the same time as you and happen to notice you or you happen to notice them.

The skeleton of a great online system is there, it's head and shoulders above brawl and they got some good ideas thrown in the mix. But it's still quite behind in many respects.

seanieg89

HSC
both tbh, move spamming can be irritating if one person on the other team is decent, the person on your team is useless and the other person on the opposition insists on spamming a large AoE move over and over while ur occupied. Having said that, they are often fairly easy to deal with but the repetitive play that results becomes boring after a while, there is a certain thrill in playing better players even if you get your ass handed to you.

i have a lot of friends from monster hunter who have moved to smash too, and i played a few matches with them (most of them are of my level which so they are great matches) although the online features are quite primitive and organising something with them over smash, particularly considering most of them are from overseas and there is time difference etc. has proved to be a challenge at times. It's really a matter of getting lucky that they are on smash at the same time as you and happen to notice you or you happen to notice them.

The skeleton of a great online system is there, it's head and shoulders above brawl and they got some good ideas thrown in the mix. But it's still quite behind in many respects.
Just keep exploiting spammers until they adapt lol. Spamming is never good, even in doubles.

In what way is the online system better than brawl?

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Just keep exploiting spammers until they adapt lol. Spamming is never good, even in doubles.

In what way is the online system better than brawl?
way easier to connect to matches

more variety of matches you can join (distinction of for fun and for glory and then further sub-categories in each)

less laggy overall

No friend codes so it's easier for you to play with friends though as I said earlier it's still quite dated

the first one really was an issue for me in Brawl so I guess that is the main improvement. It's likely attributed to the game being a new release but so far I have not once struggled to find a match or to connect to one.

seanieg89

HSC
way easier to connect to matches

more variety of matches you can join (distinction of for fun and for glory and then further sub-categories in each)

less laggy overall

No friend codes so it's easier for you to play with friends though as I said earlier it's still quite dated

the first one really was an issue for me in Brawl so I guess that is the main improvement. It's likely attributed to the game being a new release but so far I have not once struggled to find a match or to connect to one.
No friend codes? So how do you arrange to play with a friend?

From what I have seen, the lag is still enough to make me not want to play online. (But this is moot right now, as I don't have a wii u and am not yet sold on getting on purely for smash.)

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
No friend codes? So how do you arrange to play with a friend?

From what I have seen, the lag is still enough to make me not want to play online. (But this is moot right now, as I don't have a wii u and am not yet sold on getting on purely for smash.)
you have a nintendo network ID, so instead of random numbers you have like a username, when a player is in your room, you can view their nintendo profile and then send them a friend invite, it's clunky but still so much better than the friend codes system

in terms of the lag it's really not too much of an issue if you stick to 1v1, you can find a lot of relatively lag-free matches in that mode, though honestly it might be more noticeable to someone who takes their smash more seriously and plays with more precision.

yeah i honestly would not get a wii u *just* for smash, particularly if you have melee, project m etc. and still play them frequently. The main reason one would get a wii u is if you plan on playing the other exclusive titles too.

seanieg89

HSC
you have a nintendo network ID, so instead of random numbers you have like a username, when a player is in your room, you can view their nintendo profile and then send them a friend invite, it's clunky but still so much better than the friend codes system

in terms of the lag it's really not too much of an issue if you stick to 1v1, you can find a lot of relatively lag-free matches in that mode, though honestly it might be more noticeable to someone who takes their smash more seriously and plays with more precision.

yeah i honestly would not get a wii u *just* for smash, particularly if you have melee, project m etc. and still play them frequently. The main reason one would get a wii u is if you plan on playing the other exclusive titles too.
Cool, that is a definite improvement in the convenience department.

Yeah dude, there's definitely enough lag to put me off from what I have seen/played. High level smash gets seriously messed up by lag, pc netplay is about as good as you can get, and even that is quite different from offline play.

IcyRain

HSC
So far SSB4 for both 3DS and Wii U have been going great for me so far. I rank it better than brawl, and very close to melee. Being a long time melee player, the adapter was necessary for me to get the most out of the game. I know they seem gimmicky, but has anyone picked up any amiibo for the game?

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
So far SSB4 for both 3DS and Wii U have been going great for me so far. I rank it better than brawl, and very close to melee. Being a long time melee player, the adapter was necessary for me to get the most out of the game. I know they seem gimmicky, but has anyone picked up any amiibo for the game?
Nah, i was considering it though

The price pointis quite steep here iirc, like 20 bucks?

IcyRain

HSC
Nah, i was considering it though

The price pointis quite steep here iirc, like 20 bucks?
I bought mine at Target for $14 each compared to Eb games which is $18 each, so the price isn't too bad considering some of the amiibo are short in supply and prices will inflate knowing Nintendo.
Can't wait to try out 8-player smash with friends in the holidays though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)