Supplementary Texts - Physical (1 Viewer)

ylac

HSC
N/A
Kaz.B said:
i was told by my teacher to do sumthing recent in terms of self selected text for physical journeys....does any1 noe any recent movies...and when i say recent i mean bout 2006-2007? i'm not 2 picky so anything is gud (wat does dat say bout me...lol)
tanx heaps
Ratatouille :D Links well with the Skyrznecki poems about one's heritage, physical and mental obstacles.

Remy's a rat who wants to become a chef, and he objects to his heritage ie. stealing of food, eating garbage etc.

Hmm, got 4 speeches to write in 3 days, I wonder what the examiners will think if all my texts centre on rats, might do Mrs Frisby and Rats of Nimh.

angelgurl90

HSC
Does anyone have any notes on Little Miss Sunshine or where i can find some?

Last edited:

Sarsy

HSC
Hi all, and guess what, I'm looking for a decent visual. I'm looking towards a cartoon/comic, but I can't find any decent ones. Anyone have any suggestions?

gm.haider3000

HSC
that girl that gave alot of text thanks for the movies really needed it just add this to your collection " andys gone with cattle by henry lawson " its a poem xd

Ameh0512

HSC
Just wondering if anybody had some study notes on 'Seven Years in Tibet', or if they could direct me to a site with some notes.

Much thanks.

pamelacohen

HSC
Here is a table of related texts. Core text is Skrznecki so haven't included any poetry.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

avagina

HSC
Whats a general opinion of doing the movie

Candy
or
Lolita for physical journeys?

With Lolita i could do the book too, considering i've read it.

I'm thinking is it sophisticated enough, but anyway, feedback?

FLYHAWK14

HSC
N/A
Hey if it helps, these are my related texts and my core text is Skrzynecki:

Master and Commander-Crossing The Red Sea
connection: similar journey(sea voyage), both texts stress how history dictates the nature of the physical journey undertaken as a result of war

Looking For Alibrandi-Postcard(is that a good one to use????)
connection: an old study guide which I know for sure is a physical journeys study guide says it is related material it would be really nice if someone had some connections between the two esp. how Looking For Alibrandi relates to journeys and Postcard

Survival Of the Fittest Time Magazine article by Rebecca Winters-Felix Skrzynecki
connection: I haven't looked at it properly, I have to get back to all you people on the internet about it, but after superficially looking at it that's the vibe I'm getting, it would be really nice if someone relates the two texts.

Here are some others I have:

Lord Of The Rings(movie/novel)-Leaving Home
connection: Both texts describe forced journeys upon the individual and what it does to the individual.

Deltora Quest: The Forests of Silence-Leaving Home
connection: I haven't read the book in a while, but from what I remember, I think there was a forced journey.

An Australian's journey of love with gypsies of war by Paul McGeough- Migrant Hostel
connection: I didn't really look at it properly as I found it a bit hard so I drooped it, but it does connect in some way, and I'm just suggesting it.

kiiZza91

HSC
My teacher told me to avoid texts like

Finding Nemo
Shrek
Forrest Gump

He said that they could work but you would get better marks if you use more sophisticated texts

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
FLYHAWK14 said:
Looking For Alibrandi-Postcard(is that a good one to use????)
connection: an old study guide which I know for sure is a physical journeys study guide says it is related material it would be really nice if someone had some connections between the two esp. how Looking For Alibrandi relates to journeys and Postcard
I get the link between the texts, but Looking for Alibrandi always seemed a little more Inner Journey than Physical. You probably should not use it.

FLYHAWK14 said:
Lord Of The Rings(movie/novel)-Leaving Home
connection: Both texts describe forced journeys upon the individual and what it does to the individual.

Deltora Quest: The Forests of Silence-Leaving Home
connection: I haven't read the book in a while, but from what I remember, I think there was a forced journey.
I'm not sure about this, but I thought LotR was an English Ext I text. Deltora Quest might not be sophisticated enough since it's perceived to be a kiddy/teenage book.

kiiZza91 said:
My teacher told me to avoid texts like

Finding Nemo
Shrek
Forrest Gump

He said that they could work but you would get better marks if you use more sophisticated texts
Agree. Besides, a lot of students do them thinking that they're easy. If you want to stand out, don't do those animated films.

Road/going-on-a-quest movies are probably the best movies to do. You can use texts from English in Year 11. For Ext I, we did Thelma and Louise, which is a really good road film. Others like Wild Hogs and Are We There Yet? are all good (except, I'm not really sure about the last one).

If anyone wants to do a magazine article, my suggestion is to flick through National Geographic. They always have a ton of articles about people on Physical Journeys and one of my related was from that. I actually found about five articles I could've used in one afternoon. But don't choose articles that are too old (ie, before late-2007) because it will make you seem lazy.

maries

HSC
My teacher said to have about 4 or 5 related texts, but they don't HAVE to be related to Skyrzeckis poems.
Texts are:

Band of Brothers (TV mini series)
Life of Pi (Novel)
ABC interview about Afghani women going back to their country

And now i'm stuck. Can someone recommend a good article or newspaper article of some sort?

Thankyou

maries

HSC
I saw that article "survival of the fittest" but i can't really think of any techniques in it? U have any ideas? Thnx

sharnee8881

HSC
hey. im looking for sum texts for an assessment and was wondering if the song "if you're reading this" by Tim McGraw wud be a gud one to choose. here are the lyrics:

You're reading this, my mama's sittin there
Look's like I only got a one way ticket over here
I sure wish I could give you one more kiss
War was just a game we played when we were kids
Well I'm layin down my gun and hanging up my boots
I'm up here with God and we're both watching over you

So lay me down
In that open field out on the edge of town
And know my soul
Is where my mama always prayed that it would go
And if you're reading this
I'm already home

If you're reading this halfway around the world
I won't be there to see the birth of our little girl
I hope she looks like you
I hope she fights like me
And stands up for the innocent and the weak
I'm layin down my gun and hanging up my boots
Tell dad I don't regret that I followed in his shoes

So lay me down
And know my soul
I'm already home

If you're reading this, there's gonna come a day
When you'll move on and find someone else, and that's ok
Just remember this
I'm in a better place
Where soldiers live in peace and angels sing Amazing Grace

So lay me down
And know my soul

If you're reading this...
I'm already home

please tell me what u think!

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
It's not just about the lyrics. You have to be able to talk about the techniques used in the song such as pitch, beat, tone, etc., etc. The lyrics only play a small part of the whole thing.

morganjane

HSC
hey there

hitting the hsc this year, im studing advanced english- perscribed text for AOS is the immigrant chronicle by PS; just curious if anyone has an idea of a book that could work well as the supplementary text? i already have a film, so i was thinking a book or even a book cover(?)
any ideas, pm me, its greatly appreciated, thanks heaps.

-morgan jan

Rythmic

HSC
o.bi.sess said:
It's not just about the lyrics. You have to be able to talk about the techniques used in the song such as pitch, beat, tone, etc., etc. The lyrics only play a small part of the whole thing.
QFT.

Also many people have difficulty analysing even simple text, so in many cases I would advise y'all should keep away from films, songs or images if you cannot satisfactorily analyse their techniques.

FLYHAWK14

HSC
N/A
Hey, I know other people have requested this, and I speak on their behalf, what techniques are used in the article: 'Survival of the Fittest' by Rebecca Winters??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? and possibly a link or two to 'Feliks Skrzynecki'?

danielle.wilson

HSC
i need a short story of cartoon. i want something that not many others would do. please help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)