Sydney Grammar Trial Papers (1 Viewer)

randomnessss

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, I was wondering if anyone had digital copies (i.e. PDFs or word documents) of past Sydney Grammar School trials for the 2U course. If so, could you please give me a copy? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

random-1006

Banned
HSC
Hey, I was wondering if anyone had digital copies (i.e. PDFs or word documents) of past Sydney Grammar School trials for the 2U course. If so, could you please give me a copy? Thanks in advance.
i have the 2006-8 ones but they are hard copies and i cannot be bothered scanning them, but trust me there isnt really anything that special about them, they are probably about the same difficulty as the past 2 unit hsc papers ( i think they are much easier, but thats the same i found with all my subjects, a trial can never match an hsc in difficulty)

randomnessss

HSC
Uni Grad
i have the 2006-8 ones but they are hard copies and i cannot be bothered scanning them, but trust me there isnt really anything that special about them, they are probably about the same difficulty as the past 2 unit hsc papers ( i think they are much easier, but thats the same i found with all my subjects, a trial can never match an hsc in difficulty)
Oh okay. Could you please suggest any trial exams that are difficult/challenging?

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Oh okay. Could you please suggest any trial exams that are difficult/challenging?
I'd hate to break it to you, but 2U isn't really that hard.

Last year's HSC exam however caught quite alot of candidates who only do 2U (and not 3U) off guard.

I think I have 2U SGS 2004 somewhere and maybe some others too... In actual fact one of the answers in the solutions are wrong (for SGS 2004).

random-1006

Banned
HSC
Try saying it all the 2unit-only students. They'll think you're crazy.

lol 3 unit aint really that hard when you think about it, its not that hard to get full marks on even the first like 2 full hsc questions, and you even get a good mark, well not a good, but not a very bad mark, for that.

At my school there was a massive gap between 2 unit and 3 unit, as in 2 unit would actually fail ( were not talking a little under 50%, we are talking like 10% for a test) 2 unit , now thats an embarassment, was mad funny, especially considering that for one of the tests the teacher setting the test couldnt be bothered to make up their own questions and they got ALL the questions from fairly old ( pre 2000) hsc maths papers. LOL, i had seen the exact same questions like 3 days before the test. That still didnt stop 2 units failing lol

And in 4 unit there was like 6 international asain students that were like 23 yrs old and didnt even turn up to the classes or the tests, think just because their asain makes them instantly shit hot at maths, mad funny. They ended up failing

Last edited:

NewiJapper

HSC
Not everyone is like you Random-1006, we can't all just "get" math. For me, I get english and my scores for english atm are about what your math ones are and my math score is what your adv english score is about. For a lot of people 2 unit is hard, like me for example :p I can get most things about it but i still really struggle unless i do copious amounts of work for it...which i have started doing and i can see the results.

random-1006

Banned
HSC
Not everyone is like you Random-1006, we can't all just "get" math. For me, I get english and my scores for english atm are about what your math ones are and my math score is what your adv english score is about. For a lot of people 2 unit is hard, like me for example :p I can get most things about it but i still really struggle unless i do copious amounts of work for it...which i have started doing and i can see the results.

i understand there are some people out there that are geniuely having a go at 2 unit and struggling, but there are lots that are struggling because they are doing nothing. At my school the 3 unit classes were like the only classes that actually did work, most of the 2 unit classes were talking for large amounts of time in the lessons. The 3 unit classes managed to finish the whole 2 and 3 unit courses with still like 1 month for pure revision and past paper questions in class, the 2 unit classes at our school only just finished the course in time ( they were still doing last sections of probability during the last week, when everyone was screwing around for muck up week)

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Not everyone is mathematically inclined and not everyone has solidified basic mathematical skills in junior years or even have proper teachers to facilitate such training.

In fact, the majority of people in the state find 2 unit mathematics quite a challenging course. I have encountered many people who are absolutely horrific at this course and my speculation is that these people haven't mastered the basic skills covered in junior years such as quadratic theory, linear functions, geometry or even algebra. Lack of regular practice in junior years adds up in later years. Therefore they found topics which required extensions of these skills very difficult.

Same goes for other subjects like English. I can vouch for myself that I did not have good comprehension and writing skills in junior years (although I wasn't horrible at it) and therefore found the analysis and essay writing in HSC English very difficult. I was someone who spent more time practicing textbook exercises in mathematics rather than reading and writing every day. A student who reads and writes regularly with solid comprehension and writing skills would have a very different opinion of HSC English i.e. find it much easier.

Another factor major was the school I went to which was a good maths school and a crap english school. The contrast between the English and Mathematics faculty couldn't be more pronounced. The English teachers at my school were hardly crash hot. They didn't really support your learning and spent more time on writing homework warning letters or blabbering on about their lives than teach properly and engage the class (which was not good since English was one of my weaker subjects). The fact that they marked things very harshly (i.e. average usually below 50%) and even said English was hard themselves, just made many people lose confidence in their abilities.
The Mathematics faculty were far more superior. They were much more dedicated to getting the work done and provided more support in terms of resources and notes. They made things look easy and helped you build confidence in your abilities. That and the fact that I was mathematically inclined, made me like maths even more. Even the people who hated and sucked at maths still pulled off band 5s whereas those who hated and sucked at English usually got band 4s. So it's hardly a surprise the school ranks in the top 30 in the state in Mathematics but barely makes the top 100 in the state for English.
/end rant

Last edited:

random-1006

Banned
HSC
I don't read or write regularly though :| lol

lucky bastard. :p

mmm with your subjects, you must have dropped something for yr11, if you werent that good at maths why didnt you drop instead of whatever else was dropped. If you can get good marks in english consider yourself lucky. every year 1000s are screwed with having english complusory in terms of UAI/ATAR calculation. It should really only be complusory to do, but not to count ( but i guess they think everyone will just fail english on purpose if they do it this way)

Last edited:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
It should really only be complusory to do, but not to count ( but i guess they think everyone will just fail english on purpose if they do it this way)
It used to be like that but yeah everyone just didn't try.

random-1006

Banned
HSC
Not everyone is mathematically inclined and not everyone has solidified basic mathematical skills in junior years or even have proper teachers to facilitate such training.

In fact, the majority of people in the state find 2 unit mathematics quite a challenging course. I have encountered many people who are absolutely horrific at this course and my speculation is that these people haven't mastered the basic skills covered in junior years such as quadratic theory, linear functions, geometry or even algebra. Lack of regular practice in junior years adds up in later years. Therefore they found topics which required extensions of these skills very difficult.

Same goes for other subjects like English. I can vouch for myself that I did not have good comprehension and writing skills in junior years (although I wasn't horrible at it) and therefore found the analysis and essay writing in HSC English very difficult. I was someone who spent more time practicing textbook exercises in mathematics rather than reading and writing every day. A student who reads and writes regularly with solid comprehension and writing skills would have a very different opinion of HSC English i.e. find it much easier.

Another factor major was the school I went to which was a good maths school and a crap english school. The contrast between the English and Mathematics faculty couldn't be more pronounced. The English teachers at my school were hardly crash hot. They didn't really support your learning and spent more time on writing homework warning letters or blabbering on about their lives than teach properly and engage the class (which was not good since English was one of my weaker subjects). The fact that they marked things very harshly (i.e. average usually below 50%) and even said English was hard themselves, just made many people lose confidence in their abilities.
The Mathematics faculty were far more superior. They were much more dedicated to getting the work done and provided more support in terms of resources and notes. They made things look easy and helped you build confidence in your abilities. That and the fact that I was mathematically inclined, made me like maths even more. Even the people who hated and sucked at maths still pulled off band 5s whereas those who hated and sucked at English usually got band 4s. So it's hardly a surprise the school ranks in the top 30 in the state in Mathematics but barely makes the top 100 in the state for English.
/end rant
so true in the school i went to as well. I think from memory my final school report mark for english was like 60% or something and my hsc mark was 79, dont know how there was so much difference ( i did hardly anything between the trial and the hsc exams ) and just the fact that english teachers in general dont know what they want, every time you give them something they change a few things, then when you give it back to them they want to change it back etc. It just seemed that pretty much everything i did got like 60% , you know, high enough to pass, but shit enough to make a noticable impact on the atar.

MetroMattums

HSC
The slightly more challenging SGS papers usually crop up in 3U/4U, not 2U. Sorry bud

stevie1568

HSC
IF anyone has the solutions for 2009 Sydney Grammar Trial 2U math paper, that would be great! :)

stevie1568

HSC
Thanks Man, Appreciate it so much, last question is insane for me! Thanks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)