Tables turned on HSC students (SMH) (1 Viewer)

ajay12

Can count to potato
HSC
Summary: Dumb kids complaining that the essay question they revised at home wasn't in the test.

Conclusion: It's cool to be smart.

fliick

HSC
N/A
Brilliant now their testing comprehension instead of memory.
Or is it comprehension and memory? The questions I remember doing were extremely vague and only concentrated on a small concept. So for me it did make the sleepless weeks I spent memorising quotes, techniques and other bullshit I'll never use in my life again ironically USELESS and IRRELEVENT.

Argh it just felt like the finger from the Board, after the complaints and bitching that the HSC is only about memory and not a test of intelligence and bla bla.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
One student wrote: ''Had to change like 70-80 per cent of my memorised essay to adapt to the question and the related text thing.''
I think they just completely ignore everything in your essay about the second related text.
Had to change like 70-80% of my memorised essay to adapt to the question and the related text thing
I demand credit! :burn:

Interesting read, and this Anna Patty seems to be adamant on writing about the foibles of the Board of Studies, and she seems to be peeking around this site

P.S. If she reads this, hi Anna

HSC
I demand credit! :burn:

Interesting read, and this Anna Patty seems to be adamant on writing about the foibles of the Board of Studies, and she seems to be peeking around this site

P.S. If she reads this, hi Anna
lmao you full remember what you wrote!

hollaholla

HSC
''The HSC is not a memorising test,''

Why they lie? Do we not have to "memorize" thousands of quotes in english? Oh yeah and there is NO way one can come up with a decent essay fully adapted to the question in just 40 mins. You can barely get down your entire memorized essay in 40 minutes..

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
''The HSC is not a memorising test,''

Why they lie? Do we not have to "memorize" thousands of quotes in english? Oh yeah and there is NO way one can come up with a decent essay fully adapted to the question in just 40 mins. You can barely get down your entire memorized essay in 40 minutes..
Bull- fucking-shit.

Top 10 at my school had at least 2-3 students who wrote essays on the spot.

Don't pull shit out of your ass because of your inadequacy.

To the OP/article -

Nice read, although I can empathise a little bit with people who got caught off guard (seeing as 4unit in 2008 was diff), there is no excuse other than poor preparation for not being able to do the paper properly.

evilflic

Supreme Member
Roseville/Chatswood (Sydney)... soon to be St Luci
HSC
Bull- fucking-shit.

To the OP/article -

Nice read, although I can empathise a little bit with people who got caught off guard (seeing as 4unit in 2008 was diff), there is no excuse other than poor preparation for not being able to do the paper properly.
I agree. I always write my essays on the spot... couldn't deal with memorising one.
Yeah, they should be prepared for anything, instead of relying on getting a predictable or easy paper.

raniaaa

:)
HSC
Bull- fucking-shit.

wow 2-3 students in one school.. but majority of the state can't and that's what's of concern, the majority, not the few exceptional students

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
Seriously?
They have nothing better to do than lurk around on a forum made for school kids?

I am sure that there are more important things happening in the world that we need to know about rather than the Board of Studies asking for one related text instead of two in an English exam.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Seriously?
They have nothing better to do than lurk around on a forum made for school kids?

I am sure that there are more important things happening in the world that we need to know about rather than the Board of Studies asking for one related text instead of two in an English exam.
Hm...but I do agree that BOS is an excellent website to hear from students about HSC exams.

fliick

HSC
N/A
Bull- fucking-shit.

To the OP/article -

But saying people got caught off guard due to poor preparation...
For English particularly, the trials asked far more advanced questions from the rubric, and in the HSC they asked for an entire essay based on a basic outline of a character and the plot, seeming almost completely random and very vaguely from the rubric.

All I'm saying is, the rubric was my bible to go by, and pulling an essay out of my ass with enough textual quotes and techniques that adequately contextualise such a vague question means my mark is definitely going to be dragged down by the dumb shits in my standard English class.

I hate centrelink. Fuckers.

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
wow 2-3 students in one school.. but majority of the state can't and that's what's of concern, the majority, not the few exceptional students
Exactly. They should move away from formulaic questions and ask whatever they want within reason.

Asking for one text instead of two isn't going against anything.

inb4'butvarietyoftextwastherubric'

HSC
There's been a complete overreaction to the AOS question. I don't know what people get taught at other schools, but at my school we were always taught to use the minimum required amount of related texts. If they asked for at least one, then you used one. If they asked for at least two, then you used two. No more than what they asked and no less than what they sked.
If you were taught to use two texts no matter what, then I'd blame your teachers, not bos.

parawhoree

HSC
no blame the people who are trying to fish for more marks for using 2 texts. If one can analyse ONE related text (as the exam said) in depth and link it back to the question then they are going to get the marks.

Personally I dont see why a HSC student would put they're end result at risk by attempting to use 2 related texts denying yourself of marks that you could have achieved by critically analysing ONE text.

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
I can understand the whole 'don't rely purely on memory' but I think board of studies forgets that not everyone is intelligent - the majority of people NEED memory otherwise they fail life

I think tweaking questions a little is a good thing but, by the sounds of it (I wouldn't know I don't do SOR), the SOR paper sounded like a complete killer....If I was in that exam room I think I would just jump out a window

And they wonder why kids commit suicide and get super depressed over the HSC....With papers like that I see numbers doubling

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)