Taking Legal Action against school (1 Viewer)

lishsghs

HSC
Yeah unfortunately I don't think you really have any other option than to move to another school (which really sucks because i do all 3 of those subjects, and i understand why you would want to take them!)

It's really not an uncommon thing for school's not to run certain classes - we have quite a few girls doing courses through open high
At my school the school doesn't run English Standard, PDHPE, General Maths, Business Studies..... and I for one would have probably chosen Business if we offered it, unfortunately you kind of have to work with what you've got

GOOD LUCK!

friend177

HSC
If you're in yr11 just move schools GTFO of that school. Education or...education?

hidemyass

HSC
N/A
Probably going to wait until after HSC so this issue won't be on the back of our heads during this study period. Anyway, the 8 students inc. myself should probably go to Fair Trading and report the school for misleading advertising to start with. At the end of the day, we've learnt that even being on the school's honour roll, giving more than a term's notice of our request for these subjects and doubling the school's minimum requirements for HSC class is not enough for our education to be treated with respect.

erob

HSC
Uni Grad
My (private) school's been very mean to me and other students. They denied us 2U Legal Studies, 3U English Extension and 3U History Extension (because they couldn't be bothered giving us a teacher for 8 students).

On my school's website, it says that if there is adequate demand the course will be offered. E.g. I was told the official minimum for History Extension was 4 students, so all of the 8 students wanting to do the course spoke the principal. It was refused because of "inadequate demand".

We are considering at least to file a complaint to the NSW Government Fair Trading and possibly to take legal action against the school for misleading advertising etc... Needing advice on any possible previous cases and if this is a good idea (all options within the school are exhausted).
What year are you in? If you're in year 10/11, I say do it. We have 5 doing music 1, 1 doing music 2 and 3 doing physics (initially 2 did music 2 and 8 did physics but people dropped/moved to music 1). Although if you're already doing the HSC now, bit pointless.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Probably going to wait until after HSC so this issue won't be on the back of our heads during this study period. Anyway, the 8 students inc. myself should probably go to Fair Trading and report the school for misleading advertising to start with. At the end of the day, we've learnt that even being on the school's honour roll, giving more than a term's notice of our request for these subjects and doubling the school's minimum requirements for HSC class is not enough for our education to be treated with respect.

Is there anywhere on the school's website or anywhere official associated with the school that states what the minimum number of students for a class is or is the only thing you have 'if there is sufficient demand'?

If the latter then you will have difficulty for the simple reason that what is 'sufficient demand' can change on a year by year basis - it does at my school e.g. one year we will run a class with 7 students but the following year the same subject won't run with 10 - because demand is also associated with supply. Now to offer you the course will probably mean the fees having to go up as they will need to employ a part-time teacher to cover the extra periods needed.

hidemyass

HSC
N/A
I spoke to the principal before subject choices and was informed that 4 is the minimum for HSC subjects. The head of HSIE even told me that they would run a Year 11 Prelim course with 4 students. So I don't see why 8 eight students giving 8 weeks notices is not enough.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Because there are other factors in play e.g. more junior classes than anticipated in the faculty, more Year 11 classes needing to be covered e.g. expecting one ancient and one modern class in Year 11 and then getting two on each means some other classes have to go so upsetting 8 students in Year 12 might be a better option for the school than upsetting 24 in Year 11.

Giving 8 weeks notice is nothing - I have had three students all year saying they wanted to do Extension knowing that the current Year 12 class has 2 - but it isn't running - because we simply can't afford it - can't cover the necessary period loads without having to employ a part-time teacher and that is expensive. Are you and your other 7 students prepared to pay the extra for the school to employ another teacher? That could be part of it.

Being told that 4 verbally isn't a written commitment but more an indication that we will try to run it with that number rather than we will run it.

Another option - is there another private school nearby which is running it and would be prepared to have you join that class - I do know that in some cases this can happen as otherwise neither school can offer the course but jointly they can offer it.

kirstyanne-xx

HSC
My extension english consists of myself and another girl. My school has ran it for us yr 11 and yr 12. It's public, co-ed, nothing flash, they just don't think we should be deprived of classes we wish to do. What your school is doing is unfair.

bikinigal

HSC
N/A
My extension english consists of myself and another girl. My school has ran it for us yr 11 and yr 12. It's public, co-ed, nothing flash, they just don't think we should be deprived of classes we wish to do. What your school is doing is unfair.
I agree. My sons both went (one currently doing the HSC) to the same small state co-ed comprehensive HS (nothing flash also) in Sydney's south-east that has only 650-750 students in its entire school population. Both boys did subjects with extemely small cohorts (MX2 - 2 in the eldest's cohort & 3 in the one currenlty sitting the exams; the eldest was also in a cohort of 3 in MX1 - 7 in the current - and 3 in Japanese Continuers. This last one was particularly weird as he had a friend also doing Jap Cont. at a neighbouring state school with a pop. of around 1300 & he had to do it externally).

Actually, the only student from their school (doing a bog-standard subject) that has had to do their course externally is one girl from this year's Earth & Enviro Science as she is the ONLY student (however they did run a Drama class in my elder son's year for a single student).

So much for pay a shirt-load of fees for private schooling......

By a dedicated supporter of the public school system because I KNOW it works.

Last edited:

Chrissiee

Frost Yourselves
HSC
My (private) school's been very mean to me and other students. They denied us 2U Legal Studies, 3U English Extension and 3U History Extension (because they couldn't be bothered giving us a teacher for 8 students).

On my school's website, it says that if there is adequate demand the course will be offered. E.g. I was told the official minimum for History Extension was 4 students, so all of the 8 students wanting to do the course spoke the principal. It was refused because of "inadequate demand".

We are considering at least to file a complaint to the NSW Government Fair Trading and possibly to take legal action against the school for misleading advertising etc... Needing advice on any possible previous cases and if this is a good idea (all options within the school are exhausted).

If a school doesn't offer a course your expected to take independent action and go to tafe for the courses you want. I couldn't do legal at my school either and so for the subjects that weren't offered we were supposed to take tafe courses.

bikinigal

HSC
N/A
To BOSBOY:

Ha ha - yeah, it's humorous to envisage a scene involving a single actor portraying many roles on stage like something out of "Multiplicity". She had to rope in Yr 10 & 11 Drama students for that I've been told (and the markers, I think, judged her only for her part in the ensemble). I did see her individual piece - interesting.... I tell you I've witnessed a lot worse from people who are actually paid to do it!! I think she is currently studying a Bachelor of Creative Arts (Performance) @ UOW.

Galladrim

HSC
Wow. That is harsh. I am the only person who's doing History Extension at my school. And they arranged a class.:uhoh: Feeling slightly guilty now.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm quite sure a school must support a student if they have adequate resources and enough people to run it. Eight people is definately enough to run a class.

Swazz

Jooocy
HSC

But you guys didnt do legal studies. =/

loljk

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm quite sure a school must support a student if they have adequate resources and enough people to run it. Eight people is definately enough to run a class.
Probably up to the school to decide what arbitrary number constitutes ~enough~ to run it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)