[TENNIS] The 2014 Australian Open Thread (1 Viewer)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Around 35-40 days (a bit more than a month) left until the Aussie slam starts!

Top 10 seeds on the men's side should be:
1 Nadal, Rafael (ESP)
2 Djokovic, Novak (SRB)
3 Ferrer, David (ESP)
4 Murray, Andy (GBR)
5 Del Potro, Juan Martin (ARG)
6 Federer, Roger (SUI)
7 Berdych, Tomas (CZE)
8 Wawrinka, Stanislas (SUI)
9 Gasquet, Richard (FRA)
10 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried (FRA)

Let's take a look at the ''BIG 4'' along with possible threats to the title:
Nadal (World Number 1) - being No. 1, it's clear that he's a favourite to win. Remember the epic final between him and Novak? Anyways, Uncle Toni has stated that the AO14 is priority. So what's in it for Nadal if he wins?
* Rafa has at least 2 titles at each slam.

Djokovic (defending Champion) - He's the favourite to win. He is tied with Agassi and Federer for most AO titles (4) (2008, 2011, 2012, 2013) and has the power to extend this number to 6-7 titles if not more. He has 3 consecutive AOs (2011-13) [only man in the Open era to have done this]. He has long overtaken Federer as the current King of Hard Courts and has replaced Federer as the most consistent player in the Big 4. It's hard to predict against him. What's in it for Djokovic if he wins?
* Standalone record for most AO titles.

Murray (defending Runner-Up) - Another favourite for the title. However, he has had an extended back-injury break and his form will be questionable. But never count out the return of an injured man. Nadal took 7 months off the game and what happened next? The greatest comeback to No. 1 and heck, Rafa didn't even play the AO. What's in it for Murray if he wins?
* His first AO title.
* He would be 1 slam away (the FO) from the Career Grand Slam.

Federer - Probably the least favourite out of the BIG 4 (he now stands at World No. 6) for the title. He had a disastrous 2013 (with his best slam appearance being a semi-final at the AO so no slam finals reached) with his 36 consecutive QFs streak being snapped at Wimbledon then losing to Tommy Robredo (a person he had a 10-0 H2H against, now 10-1) at the USO in the 4th round. Will an upset happen in AO14? However, he is riding on a streak of 10 consecutive SFs (2004-2013) at the Aussie Open which he probably doesn't want to snap. He is a 4 time-champion (2004, 2006, 2007, 2010). What's in it for Federer if he wins?
* Standalone record for most AO titles.
* At least 5 titles at 3 different slams (AO, USO, Wimbledon)

Threats?
Del Potro - the USO09 winner is the only man that looks capable of beating any player above (and beating them back to back). The question is, will he be upset in the earlier rounds?
Wawrinka - remember the epic 4th round AO clash between him and Novak? Remember his win over Murray in the USO QFs? Well, if he pulls it off this time against the defending champion, I'd say it'd be quite the feat.
* Note - I think he ''chokes'' too much against Rafa and Roger so he isn't a threat to the entire Big 4.

Top 10 seeds on the women's side would be:
1 Williams, Serena
2 Azarenka, Victoria
3 Li, Na
4 Sharapova, Maria
5 Radwanska, Agnieszka
6 Kvitova, Petra
7 Errani, Sara
8 Jankovic, Jelena
9 Kerber, Angelique
10 Wozniacki, Caroline

Serena is a big favourite but is always vulnerable to an upset but she dominates the top 4 seeds when it comes to H2H.
Azarenka (defending champion) is riding a 2 consectuive AO streak so she's the other favourite.
Li Na is a defending runner-up.
Sharapova is a threat as long as Serena is nowhere to be seen :haha:

Anyways, can't wait for it! :guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: [TENNIS] The Official 2014 Australian Open Thread

Now that the draw is out....

Djokovic is on the cakewalk half.

Nadal is on the half with Murray, Del Potro and Federer.

Federer should face Tsonga in the 4th round (yeah good luck Roger), Murray in the quarters (yep, even worse) and assuming all goes like planned, his ultimate nightmare RAFAEL NADAL awaits in the semis if he survives until then (okay, goodnight sweet prince).

Ultimately, a fall in the rankings cause Roger to have a shit draw.

Murray should face Isner in the 4th round (yeah, deadly match up), Federer/Tsonga in the quarters (tough) and Nadal awaits in the semis.

Nadal has a nightmare draw with Nishikori or Hewitt in the 4th, DEL POTRO in the quarters (very very tough) and Murray may be awaiting in the semis.

Djokovic has Wawrinka or Gasquet in the quarters (hoping its Wawrinka :haha:), FERRER in the semis (biggest joke of a semi) and someone awaits in the final.

I think most would say a Djokovic-Nadal final is likely but Del Potro/Murray CAN beat Nadal and Wawrinka might pull it off against Novak this time.

on other news, Nadal faces Tomic in the 1st round :haha:

NickIsSkuxx

HSC

Can't believe the terrible luck the Aussies have had with the draw! Especially Tomic and Barty the poor buggers who have both world number 1s in the first round!:cry:

NickIsSkuxx

HSC

In terms of the rest of the competition, I can see a repeat of last yr in the Mens final but don't think either finalist from last year will be in the women final

ebbygoo

HSC

Im going down for day 1 & 2 so pumped I'll be sure to let you guys know what goes down

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad

Matosevic died yesterday is his match against Stakhovsky in Apia and has to learn to control his damn emotions.

study1234

HSC

I can't wait to see Rafa demolish Tomic. And I'm going to be there live! :)

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Most aussies have it tough against seeds
Kyrgios and Thompson have a decent draw where Janowicz is still rusty from an injured shoulder
Fully expect Hewitt to beat Seppi who is in poor form and face Nadal later
Bernard will go down tomicing to Nadal unless he peaks [apparently courts are slightly faster than previous years with low bounce favouring Tomic]

All in all, top half is going interesting with Nadal, Murray, Delpo and Federer (Tsonga too) in contrast to bottom half which is a cakewalk for Djokovic to finals (really only Berdych and Wawrinka have the weapons to power through Djokovic)
I anticipate Tsonga to upset Federer and make semis, Ferrer to get upset early (Dolgo perhaps), Wawrinka to again tightly contest like last time with Djokovic, A chance for Delpo to upset Nadal, and Djokovic to make it 4 AO titles in a row

Thanks RoT continually reviving tennis in BOS

timeflies

HSC

Djokovic got this one in the bag. Hopefully he can make it 4 in a row!

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

Djoker and serena are my picks although serena has choked big time in the past on the whole she is just so dominant

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

really glad tomic will be out first round, the less of him the better

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Most aussies have it tough against seeds
Kyrgios and Thompson have a decent draw where Janowicz is still rusty from an injured shoulder
Fully expect Hewitt to beat Seppi who is in poor form and face Nadal later
Bernard will go down tomicing to Nadal unless he peaks [apparently courts are slightly faster than previous years with low bounce favouring Tomic]

All in all, top half is going interesting with Nadal, Murray, Delpo and Federer (Tsonga too) in contrast to bottom half which is a cakewalk for Djokovic to finals (really only Berdych and Wawrinka have the weapons to power through Djokovic)
I anticipate Tsonga to upset Federer and make semis, Ferrer to get upset early (Dolgo perhaps), Wawrinka to again tightly contest like last time with Djokovic, A chance for Delpo to upset Nadal, and Djokovic to make it 4 AO titles in a row

Thanks RoT continually reviving tennis in BOS
Yeah I think Hewitt can go far if he's in good condition.

Brisbane and Sydney looked fast but historically, the AO's bounce is never low and the court speed will always be slow-ish. But yeah chances of Tomic upsetting Nadal is close to 0 even on a fast low-bouncing court (if Tomic is on god-mode and Nadal plays like shit then it might just happen).

Yeah I expect Roger to fall to Tsonga and if he survives, he'll definitely fall to Murray (unless Murray gets upset beforehand).

I agree with the possible early exit from Ferrer.... Ferrer is starting to slowdown and he basically peaked in 2012 and 2013 --> I think he'll start declining from now on.

Djoker and serena are my picks although serena has choked big time in the past on the whole she is just so dominant
Objectively, Djoker is definitely the favourite and Nadal is the 2nd favourite. Djoker has the easy draw and he's been AO champion for the past 3 years, hard to go against him.

Serena chokes against lesser players and tends to suffer random upsets but when she faces the top ladies in the semis and finals (e.g. Sharapova, Azarenka) - she's usually the favourite. Her OVERWHELMINGLY strong WINNING H2Hs against Sharapova and Azarenka shows it. Sharapova has beaten Serena once in her life iirc? (When she beat Serena as a 17 year old in the Wimbledon Finals)

While, Azarenka has only beaten Serena like 3 times or something.

The women's game is starting to become as predictable as the men's game though.

simplyinsanity

HSC

I think Murray will be upset before the QF. He'll be down on match play, being only on his second tournament back from surgery after losing to Florian Mayer in the Qatar 2nd round.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

I think Murray will be upset before the QF. He'll be down on match play, being only on his second tournament back from surgery after losing to Florian Mayer in the Qatar 2nd round.
Yeah I think most people are speculating but who knows, Murray nowadays tends to peak for slams and plays like shit at masters and other smaller events. He used to be more consistent at masters and smaller events but was slam-less.

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
you would expect murray to be upset by tsonga or federer given his form

dim-sims

HSC

SO pumped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)