[TENNIS] The 2014 Australian Open Thread (1 Viewer)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: [TENNIS] The Official 2014 Australian Open Thread

He did it.

Stan the man does the impossible!!!

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Wawa wowow amazing match, should make the finals now

williamdaft

HSC

So happy for Stan!

Such an intense 5 set game!!

After such a brawling 5hr game last year, I was hoping for Stan to win this year.. and he did it!! Omg.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

Expecting a Nadal and Wawrinka final

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Wawa wowow amazing match, should make the finals now
It'll be tough in the semis, he's up against Tomas Berdych (he leads in the H2H against Tomas though so really good chances for him to make it to his first final).

As happy as I am for Stan.... I think Nadal will easily get his 2nd Aussie open (14th slam) now.....

Nadal has never lost to Wawrinka.
Berdych doesn't fare well against Nadal.
Dimitrov cannot beat Nadal unless a miracle happens....
Federer/Murray have poor H2H records against Nadal.....

Congrats Rafa :haha:

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Well.... Tomic is gonna be sidelined for a while, and his ranking will drop to 80 +...... :/

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
It'll be tough in the semis, he's up against Tomas Berdych (he leads in the H2H against Tomas though so really good chances for him to make it to his first final).

As happy as I am for Stan.... I think Nadal will easily get his 2nd Aussie open (14th slam) now.....

Well Berdych was patchy in his QF match - FH was inconsistent in later parts of patch whereas BH was - could be another 5 setter but im inclined to say Wawa in 4

Imho Federer has the best chance in beating Nadal

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Well Berdych was patchy in his QF match - FH was inconsistent in later parts of patch whereas BH was - could be another 5 setter but im inclined to say Wawa in 4

Imho Federer has the best chance in beating Nadal
As much as we'd think Murray would cause more problems for Nadal with his double handed solid BH.... he hasn't been in his best form while Federer has been in vintage form so yeah, I'd rather watch Roger give Rafa the run for his title.

But, let's face it... the last time Roger beat Nadal in a slam was.... Wimbledon 2007 :haha:

I'm rooting for Stan as well but....

A god-mode Berdych with his very flat-hitting fares better against Nadal in the final than a god-mode Wawrinka tbh.

My dream final is Wawrinka vs Federer (all swiss final) but I think it'll end up being Nadal vs Berdych/Wawrinka with Nadal taking home the title.

Wawrinka has not won a single set yet against Nadal and they've met like 10 times or more iirc.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
[TENNIS] The Official 2014 Australian Open Thread

@rival, your thoughts on Hewitt , he has been destroying some high ranking players lately :p

You think he can hit the top 40s or 20s? (In these two years)

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
As much as we'd think Murray would cause more problems for Nadal with his double handed solid BH.... he hasn't been in his best form while Federer has been in vintage form so yeah, I'd rather watch Roger give Rafa the run for his title.

But, let's face it... the last time Roger beat Nadal in a slam was.... Wimbledon 2007 :haha:

I'm rooting for Stan as well but....

A god-mode Berdych with his very flat-hitting fares better against Nadal in the final than a god-mode Wawrinka tbh.

My dream final is Wawrinka vs Federer (all swiss final) but I think it'll end up being Nadal vs Berdych/Wawrinka with Nadal taking home the title.

Wawrinka has not won a single set yet against Nadal and they've met like 10 times or more iirc.
I fear Murrays fitness isnt optimum atm - hasnt been tested yet with most if all of his preceding opponents being ranked 100+ - If Goderer shows up and shortens the point with volleys and is playing with a margin for error then Fed as every chance to beat both Murray and Nadal (hopefully breakpointconverterer shows as well)

Yeah haha there was that high quality tiebreak in Shanghai last year where Wowrinka was superior player but faltered to give the mini-break - I do think he could get a set though if that was the finals line up

But yeh I agree Nadal winning is the safest bet atm

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A

still fuming that djoko lost... how did he miss that volley to save match point :( was hoping for a 4-peat

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
still fuming that djoko lost... how did he miss that volley to save match point :( was hoping for a 4-peat
Unfortunate since he was cruising in most service games up to that point - missing two crucial routine net points; boy becker is in trouble

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

I fear Murrays fitness isnt optimum atm - hasnt been tested yet with most if all of his preceding opponents being ranked 100+ - If Goderer shows up and shortens the point with volleys and is playing with a margin for error then Fed as every chance to beat both Murray and Nadal (hopefully breakpointconverterer shows as well)

Yeah haha there was that high quality tiebreak in Shanghai last year where Wowrinka was superior player but faltered to give the mini-break - I do think he could get a set though if that was the finals line up

But yeh I agree Nadal winning is the safest bet atm
Hopefully, Goderer appears for the QFs and possibly SFs and the final even...

But against Nadal... dat topsin forehand completely wrecks Federror's 1 handed bh.

:(

Unfortunate since he was cruising in most service games up to that point - missing two crucial routine net points; boy becker is in trouble
nek minnit Becker is fired.

Should have hired Edberg :cool:

Marc26

HSC

Well I personally wouldn't be so quick to say that Rafa has this in the bag. Everyone said Novak had an easy route to the finals and look what happened...out in the QFs.
Wawrinka hasn't beaten Djokovic since 2006 until tonight and when Novak was down 2 sets to 1, everyone still thought Novak was the favourite.
Going back to the point on Rafa, I think Wawrinka's win may give everyone else the inspiration that anything is possible.
So Fed, Murray and the rest of the remaining competitors have a great chance to beat him if they play well.

It will be interesting to see Fed v. Murray tomorrow night and how Wawrinka goes over his SF with Berdych. I think he may find it physically draining and could struggle during later parts of the match.

In the end though, I think it will be a Nadal v. Wawrinka final with Nadal winning in 4 if Wawrinka pulls up okay physically and plays like he did tonight

Marc26

HSC

Hopefully, Goderer appears for the QFs and possibly SFs and the final even...

But against Nadal... dat topsin forehand completely wrecks Federror's 1 handed bh.

:(

nek minnit Becker is fired.

Should have hired Edberg :cool:
Not sure if you noticed how aggressive Fed was on his BH against Jo-Willie the other night. He was stepping in and cranking them plus using topspin a lot more than the slice.
Pretty sure he does better against Nadal when he does that.

BTW playing as a lefty with big topspin is ridiculously fun. Your opponents struggle with the slice serving and variety. :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)