Test me!!! (1 Viewer)

_deloso

HSC
any chemistry and physics questions? ask here!!!
just wanna test my knowledge.
so come at me bruh...
come at me jayy100!!!

Squishxmishyx

Olive You.
HSC
A bar magnet is moved quickly into a coil of wire connected to an ammeter. A current of 8uA is produced. If this experiment is repeated using two bar magnets identical to the first one and a different wire coil containing twice as many turns as the first one, what would be the expected current?

_deloso

HSC
explain how it is possible for muons to reach earth
High energy particles from space hit the Earth's atmosphere, subatomic particles called muons are produced
-they have very short life time of 2 micro second
-they travel at the speed of light but can only travel at 600 metres before decaying
-muons are found at the earth's surface, approx. 10 km from where they are produced
-since they are traveling at high speeds, time passes more slowly (time dilation) for muons when observed in their frame of reference compared to our frame of reference
- also, as observed by muons, the earth is travelling to them at the speed of light
-they see the atmosphere contracting (length contraction) and can allow the muons to reach the earth's surface before decaying because there is less distance to travel to.

michaeljennings

HSC
High energy particles from space hit the Earth's atmosphere, subatomic particles called muons are produced
-they have very short life time of 2 micro second
-they travel at the speed of light but can only travel at 600 metres before decaying
-muons are found at the earth's surface, approx. 10 km from where they are produced
-since they are traveling at high speeds, time passes more slowly (time dilation) for muons when observed in their frame of reference compared to our frame of reference
- also, as observed by muons, the earth is travelling to them at the speed of light
-they see the atmosphere contracting (length contraction) and can allow the muons to reach the earth's surface before decaying because there is less distance to travel to.
Bravo!

Explain the motor effect to me

hayabusaboston

HSC
Okay starting off easy:
Type IIA and type IIB string theory are known to be connected by T-Duality, whereby a description of a circle with radius r in type IIA string theory is exactly the same as the IIB description of a circle with radius r, with distances measured in units of planck length. What is the significance of this correlation? and how can this be applied in manifold reduced problem solving in supergravity theory?

Last edited:

_deloso

HSC
Explain how photocells work.

so a current is produced withing a circuit if a metal or semi-conductor cathode is exposed to em wave (photoelectric effect)
-the light gives energy for electrons to escape the conductive cathode and allows a flow of electron from cathode to anode through an external circuit
-the potential difference and current is measured by a voltmeter and an ammeter.
-by monitoring voltage, current flow a quantifiable measurement of light is possible because these properties change when a
semiconductor experiences the photoelectric effect.

SpreadTheWord

HSC
Really easy one: Is the satellite's orbital velocity dependent on 'Its' mass or the objects mass. (Earth for example)

muzeikchun852

HSC
no chem question yet - so describe the development of ideas about acids.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Account for the negative sign in gravitational potential energy formula. [1 mark] I think...

herbs1

HSC
so a current is produced withing a circuit if a metal or semi-conductor cathode is exposed to em wave (photoelectric effect)
-the light gives energy for electrons to escape the conductive cathode and allows a flow of electron from cathode to anode through an external circuit
-the potential difference and current is measured by a voltmeter and an ammeter.
-by monitoring voltage, current flow a quantifiable measurement of light is possible because these properties change when a
semiconductor experiences the photoelectric effect.
PN junction.

Last edited by a moderator:

_deloso

HSC
no chem question yet - so describe the development of ideas about acids.
lavoisier- all acids contain oxygen. but acids can be formed when molecules containing no oxyfen is dissolved in water (hcl) and metal oxides or carbonates created a basic solution
davy- all acids contain hydrogen. however, molecules containing no hydrogen can dissolve in water and form acids (NO2, SO2, SO3, CO2...)
arrhenius- an acid is a substance that dissociates in water and produce hydrogen ions in water.
bronsted-lowry- in an acid-base reaction, there is a transfer of protons from onse substance to another. acids are proton donors (loss of hydrogen ion) while bases are proton acceptors (gains a hydrogen ion)

nightweaver066

HSC
Chemistry question:

Outline a procedure for determining the heat of combustion of an alkanol and justify the procedure you used.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Someone should create a marathon thread in the Physics and Chem forums.

Squishxmishyx

Olive You.
HSC
Someone should create a marathon thread in the Physics and Chem forums.
(Also do one for the math based questions. Like Chem+Phys theory is just memorising... Just do the syllabus dot points. I NEED A THREAD FOR THE MATH QUESTIONS IN CHEM/PHYS OR ELSE I MIGHT COMPLETELY COMBUST leaving CO2 and H2O)

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
Account for the negative sign in gravitational potential energy formula. [1 mark] I think...

If I recall correctly, it's because as distance from the centre of mass of the object increases gravitational potential energy increases, yet at an infinite distance gravitation potential energy is zero, therefore as distance < infinity, Potential energy must be less than zero, hence negative.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)