• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Abortion Debate (continued) (5 Viewers)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Is it possible that illigalizing drugs leads to more drug users? Use your head.
errr... realllly poor analogy, I think you've misunderstood so I'll restate my question.

If you allow men to absolve their responsibility to a child, doesn't that take away a huge incentive for men to practice safe sex? Wouldn't that then lead to more unwanted pregnancies?

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
errr... realllly poor analogy, I think you've misunderstood so I'll restate my question.

If you allow men to absolve their responsibility to a child, doesn't that take away a huge incentive for men to practice safe sex? Wouldn't that then lead to more unwanted pregnancies?
The woman has far more effective contraception measures available, such as the 99.9% effective pill.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The woman has far more effective contraception measures available, such as the 99.9% effective pill.
So it should all be the womans responsibility? BTW as far as I'm aware Condoms are generally accepted as the cheapest:most effective form of contraception.

gerhard

HSC
condoms are just as effective as the pill as long as you arent retarded. the 95% effectiveness thing is just because people are retarded and dont know how to put them on.

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Either way to me I still don't like the idea of society having to pay for two people's mistakes and they don't have to pay at all. I think it could also lead to men being much less responsible, lower rates of condom use etc.
Hmm, I don't see it as society paying for people's mistakes, if they're in foster care they're going to be with a family that accepts them willingly as opposed to one that doesn't.
As to it leading to a lessening of male responsibility I'm not so sure. I see the logic but I'm not sure if it would make any significant difference. Just my opinion though.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
gerhard said:
condoms are just as effective as the pill as long as you arent retarded. the 95% effectiveness thing is just because people are retarded and dont know how to put them on.
err wrong. Failure rate for condoms with perfect use is 2-3% that includes slipages and breakages which a user has no real control over, so even if they are smart, it will still happen. Condoms for the average user are 82% effective.

The pill itself is 100% effective assuming the user is not retarded. If it is taken every day, at roughly the same time [within 3 hours] and there are no other medications being used that could alter is effectiveness, the pill will prevent pregnancies 100%. This is because a woman cannot get pregnant if her egg is not released, sorry but it just cant happen. I guess if we wanted to get technical there is a microscopic chance that there is a manufactoring error... but in that case who cares, sue the company for millions!
The pill is effective at about 92-98% with average users who dont regularly take it , or forget all the time.

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Serius said:
The pill itself is 100% effective assuming the user is not retarded.
even with ideal use there is a risk of the body hormonal cycle having a very high threshold/egg release times..sperm survival etc ..

there is also a link to ectopic pregnancy .. as much as we like to think it is ppl's fault sometimes its not..
see:
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/321/7258/450

interestingly.. a premature child for 2mths costs the health system $100-200k... thats about the cost to raise a child till 15..

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
Abortions should be legal and free. I mean think of all the resources a child uses, surely the global benefits of not having a child outweighs the small cost of an abortion. In fact, an Abortion bonus could be good, however it would encourage those who were irresponsible and did not use contraception so I wouldn't quite take it that far. I think an aborted foetus is better than another first world human, when there are already billions too many to begin with. Also I think any expectation of adoption is absurd. 9 months of pregnancy, then enduring birth to give your child away? That doesn't exactly seem appealing when compared to removing the foetus with one simple procedure, especially when you aren't thinking along religious "moral" lines. Futhermore, I cannot in any way understand any anti-abortionist attempting to remove the freedom of others. If you want to preach your junk and influence people on a personal level, great, but attempting to change legislation to ban abortion when it doesn't even nearly reflect the view of the majority is offensive and ridiculously narrow minded.

Aryanbeauty

HSC
Re: Stem Cell research, Genetic Engineering

I am against abortion, I also support a ban on masturbation for men because it kills millions of potential babies everytime you ejaculate ;)

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Abortions should be legal and free.
An abortion has an intrinsic psychological effect on the mother. It is not something that should be so readily and easily accessible.

reflect the view of the majority
Australia is a predominately Christian state. Christian morals outline that abortion, or the termination of the foetus is an act of murder.

There are alternatives to abortion.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
JaredR said:
An abortion has an intrinsic psychological effect on the mother. It is not something that should be so readily and easily accessible.
Why shouldn't abortions be free and legal, JaredR?

JaredR said:
Australia is a predominately Christian state. Christian morals outline that abortion, or the termination of the foetus is an act of murder.

Australia is a country with a Christian majority - it isn't a Christian state, it's a secular state. As for Christian 'morals', you may be surprised to know that there isn't a uniform Chrisian stance when it comes to abortion - some consider it to be murder (as you do), yet others consider it to be a choice that should be available to the mother, a choice that recognises the complexity of reality and one that should be free of crusading moralists.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
JaredR said:
So is having a child that they truly do not want.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
JaredR said:
Australia is a predominately Christian state. Christian morals outline that abortion, or the termination of the foetus is an act of murder
The majority of Australians are not church-going christians who adhere to biblical doctrine. Those who designate themselves christian usually follow a symbolic representation of christianity while susbscribing to modern values, often due to them being raised christian.
The thing is, with safe and legal abortion both sides win. Those who oppose it can give birth to children and influence others to do the same, while those who don't can abort their foetesus freely. Isn't that kinda the whole point of democracy? Why should theists be making decisions like that for other people?

vern

HSC
I'm against abortion personally, If I ever got a girl pregnant I would go too any measure imaginable too support her including dropping out of uni. I brought up my 2 nephews while my sister was at work, so I love kids!

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
JaredR said:
Wow, thank you. There is an alternative to the alternatives to abortion. Abortion. What's your point? Shouldn't you explain why these alternatives are more beneficial than abortion?

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
vern said:
I'm against abortion personally, If I ever got a girl pregnant I would go too any measure imaginable too support her including dropping out of uni.
If I got a girl pregnant I would have myself killed along with any foetuses for being a stupid idiot and ruining my life.

HSC
lol very funny...

i think that if a girl got pregnant then she should hav the baby...[i dont think abortion is the right solution]

1-there are many females who exprience post abortion syndrome...
2-it isnt the childs fault that the parent doesnt know what a pill, condom or not having sex means...

also the only reason good enough for a female to want to have an abortion is that it will harm her ...

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
not to mention australias birthdrate is well below par. As it is we are importing a tremendous amount of imigrants [ most if which have their own problems, such as religions that promote violence and a general hatred of the west] who in England are due to become the voting majority. I would suggest that anyone who values the west refuse abortion, or at the least replace that lost baby with two more down the track.

I am planing on 4 kids, if the missus doesnt like it then i will knock up her friend and get another one that way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)