The Crucible and Belonging (1 Viewer)

xxheersaletixx

TERI MAA :)
HSC
Re: BELONGING: The crucible

lovedilara said:
My class is studying the Crucible at the moment and we are suppsoe to find texts that relate so we can compare OR contrast...

the story is based on the salem tragedy (the witchcraft trials of 1962)...
anyways it touches on heaps of themes in belonging but the one i was thinking of concentrating on is community vs individual:

"But you must understand, sir, that a person is either with the court or he must be counted against it, there be no road inbetween"

Salem is a tight knit community where there in no privacy. Individual activities are focused upon and if they were undesireable (not going to church, dealing with witchcraft) they would be cast out to try and keep the community together. People were put under great pressure to confess(if they didn't they were hung), but to confess they had to give the name of another "wrong doer", so eventually it spirals out of control and people start using the confessions as a way to get revenge or aquire land...

so does anyone know any texts that would follow the lines of this concept.. or any other themes of belong (be it social, political, religious, moral, physical, sexual or any others)

any help would be appreciated

thanks people.. peace
have you actually attempted to look for it?

im doing the crucible and i have founds loads of stuff that relates to it..its a matter of looking thats all.

plus you can try that inside break website that everyone talks about...i havent personally used it but theres quite a lot of stuff there.
good luck

=]

coq

HSC

we are also doing the crucible for our AOS, i disagree and believe it is a very versatile text to use for the concept of belonging... maybe instead of complaining on the cpu you should go ahead and read the play?
The original idea of individual vs society is good and it should be easy for you to find text that directy or indirectly relates to this general theme;(eg anything involving a cotrolling or opressive society eg: "brave new world" or "animal farm" it is diffcult for me to suggest anything to you because the way that you will percieve and assess a text is completely unique and its english so anything you do will be fine as long as you back it up with the correct quotes and arguments etc.
As soon as you get your ideas it may help you to gain a better understanding of the text if you go onto sites like sparknotes. Goodluck

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC

sannous1 said:
hey i dno if ur talkn 2 me in regards but anyway lol, were advancd and were doing the crucilbe, alot of other advance classes r too :S
Yeah i was. That's fine to do, just slightly short and simple imo.

munchiecrunchie

HSC

If you guys are willing to do a bit of reading, the novel "The Scarlet Letter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne would fit in well. It is set in this same period + context (puritan), has a focus on not belonging; an individual is shunned by the community (Hester Prynne) for adultery, society deems it as unacceptable, etc etc.

It can be a difficult read for some (its written in a manner that is similar to shakespearean language). It is however worth the read (you'll eventually adapt to it)

lovedilara

HSC

xxheersaletixx said:
have you actually attempted to look for it?

im doing the crucible and i have founds loads of stuff that relates to it..its a matter of looking thats all.

plus you can try that inside break website that everyone talks about...i havent personally used it but theres quite a lot of stuff there.
good luck

=]
Yeh i have, and i've got a few texts but i wanted to see if there are better ones.
I want one that I will really like, or one that really connects..
We're going through it in class but we're only up to act 2,
and i want to get my speech done by the end of next week..
Plus, I dont really have time to waste, when i also have 3 additional texts to analyse and relate.

but thanks for all your help people
peace

gingerwitch28

HSC
Re: crucible related texts

http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15549

W.H Auden's "The Unknown Citizen"

Appearance and reality - someone can appear to belong, to be comfortable in their environment, but the truth can't really be known by just looking at the surface. Ideas of challenging The Institution - many in this poem vs. the Church in the Crucible. Ideas of community, of homogenous society.

Techniques - capitalisation (creation of proper nouns), irony (final two lines in particular), accretion, probably more than that...

britinaus

HSC

Well, so far I have The Outsider by Camus and Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. All the texts (including Crucible) discuss how different ways of thinking cause exclusion/belonging. In the Crucible, the Salemites are convinced of an innately wrong notion that those who confess are allowed to live and those who don't (and as such have only the word of a child against them), die. Proctor's final action of confessing but refusing to submit to the bureaucracy highlights this and illustrates the paradoxes within the existence of theocracy: although they all know he confessed and asked for forgiveness, he cannot be absolved because he didn't sign the paper: a concept that contradicts the foundation of their society (the Bible). The other two have stuff that can be brought in with this as well, but I'm not about to give away all my ideas.

bettina44

HSC

sophi.love said:
heyy do you know the site that has the album. i cant seem to find it. i want to look through them all..
you can try the leunig website?

hey...could u help me with that cartoon. i cant seem to decipher what it means by "another loser has-been fades into obscurity":( :( :(
i think the loser has beens are the people in the cage

gingerwitch28

HSC

I didn't think of it that way at all. I interpreted as the creatures in the cage grumbling at the 'loser has-been' who's flying away, and they think because they're a community and they stick together it's the way to succeed. But they're wrong, obviously, because the winged character flies away happily into the blue beyond to make his own future.

bettina44

HSC

gingerwitch28 said:
I didn't think of it that way at all. I interpreted as the creatures in the cage grumbling at the 'loser has-been' who's flying away, and they think because they're a community and they stick together it's the way to succeed. But they're wrong, obviously, because the winged character flies away happily into the blue beyond to make his own future.
i guess you can see it that way too which was what i thought.but my teacher saw it as the people in the cage like you said think they are better off being protected by the confines of the cage ie the loser has beens. and they fade away into obscurity as the winged figure flies away.its also a bit dark where the cage is reflecting how they're the ones fading.

i didn't really pay that much attention to the text,i focused more on the image itself. i had the winged figure representing john proctor and how if one can break away from the community(salem) one can gain freedom

bettina44

HSC

hey i think i found the title of the image. i think its "dissent silencing...fly away?"

cmiranda5151

HSC
Belonging Essay Help with refernce to The Crucible

What are the techniques within these quotes in "The Crucible";
( e.g, Emotive Language, Metaphor, Colloquial Language so on so forth)

1) [FONT=&quot]Abigail: [/FONT]Let either of you breathe a word, or the edge of a word, about the other things, and I will come to you in the black of some terrible night and I will bring a pointy reckoning that will shudder you... I can make you wish you had never seen the sun go down!”

2)
Parris to Abigail: “There is a faction that is sworn to drive me from my pulpit... I have fought here three long years to bend these stiff-necked people to me.”

3)
[FONT=&quot]John to Elizabeth: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]“If the crop is good I’ll buy George Jacob’s heifer. How would that please you?... [With a grin] I mean to please you, Elizabeth... [He gets up, goes to her, kisses her. She receives it. With a certain disappointment, he returns to the table.]

Thank You :)
[/FONT]

Ostentatious

jfK1c45g2f4Of56Eyd4f57cxZ
HSC
Re: Belonging Essay Help with refernce to The Crucible

1. Metaphor, Visual and Tactile Imagery.
2. Tactile Imagery.
3. Dramatic Irony.

For a start, just a quick post for you :)

cmiranda5151

HSC

hehe Thank You :)

Ostentatious

jfK1c45g2f4Of56Eyd4f57cxZ
HSC

No problems, there are probably more techniques if you look hard enough :D

nowayitsslush

HSC
The Crucible, Techniques used

I have no idea what techniques are used in it?
Anyone have any ideas?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)