The F1 Thread (1 Viewer)

F2001

HSC
re: The Official F1 Thread

ObjectsInSpace said:
It depeds on where it happens:
- On street circuits, retirement usually comes about because the car gets badly damaged. Case in point: Mark Webber parking it in the wall during first practice this weekend.
- Spinning out can often be the result of mechanical failure. When Massa wiped out at Spang this year, it was caused by something coming undone.
- Oftentimes, going off the track means you can't get back on. If you're stuck in the gravel - though they are moving towards tarmac run-off areas - then you probably won't be getting out. It takes a dozen engineers to start a Formula One car; they don't just turn the key in the ignition.
- As you've probably noticed, Formula One cars are also very low. While a car may not experience too much trouble in an off-track excursion, a trip into the landscape can often cause damage underneath the car.
I thought he was being sarcastic lol.

Nebuchanezzar said:
Beh. Good driver but a bit of a pig. Hamilton seems like such a damn nice guy, congratulating Alonso and shaking his hand and whatever. Pretty impressive.

But what a race eh? Up there with the best of the season. Shame about Massa and Webber. Raikkonen is a n00b. He needs to relearn how to drive properly, so that he doesn't end races either in a wall or down in 15th place like an ass. Awesome to see Vettel so high too.

Reckon we'll be seeing Bourdais and Piquet back next year?
He'll probably get the DHL award again... To me Kimi still has the best raw pace esp on race day. Fastest lap again lol. And he came from 16th to 5th. Where was Massa only 2 places behind him during the restart? Nowhere near 5th.
Yes I agree his errors are getting tiring, a big patch of horrid luck similar to Montoya's 05 season.

Most people think Di Grassi will take Piquet's seat.

Cape said:
I'm just sending my deposit payment off for Melbourne next year, now :)

Its just over $3000 for 3 of us to go, with a 2 bedroom apartment, and 4 day grandstand seats, we will be sitting at turn 1 on Thursday and race day, and opposite the pits for practice and qualifying.

Should be good, as long as its not as hot as this year!
I reckon SF is overrated. Well u get to see the pits. This year we thinking of going turn1/2 (the kink, not the hairpin). I think there is a screen there too. It better not be hot like this year.

I think it'd be better to go Sg though, since 2002 it's been a dull experience at Melbourne, something new but close by be nice.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

f2001 said:
He'll probably get the DHL award again... To me Kimi still has the best raw pace esp on race day. Fastest lap again lol. And he came from 16th to 5th. Where was Massa only 2 places behind him during the restart? Nowhere near 5th.
Good for Kimi, but he's a racecar driver not a speed record breaker, and the quality of his driving should be based primarily on his results. Given his car, they are shit. Shit, shit, shit. Go Hamilton! Speed and results! Woo!

I thought he was being sarcastic lol.
Nah mang. It's not that straightfoward, especially for someone who's only new to this racing shtick. I just assumed that spinning the car might do some damage to its suspension or something like that, but that didn't sound too accurate.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

In all probabilty, suspension is the most likely thing to get damaged given that it's so exposed.

Also, you may be interested in BATracer, a kind of racing management/strategy game. There's only two carsets available for new players - 2008 F1 and British touring cars - but once you get to Pro stage (either by purchasing an add-on or fufilling certain criteria), there's plenty more: 1986, 1997, 1999 and 2005 F1 carsets, each with their own rules, as well as 2006 and 2007 available in private games and a 2002 carset that is likely to be moved into private-only soon. There's also V8 Supercars (which I hate), LMES (which I love), A1GP, ChampCars circa 1995, Toyota MR2s, Caterham Sevens, and of course, the 2008 F1 and British Touring Car sets. The 1997, 1999 and 2005 F1 carsets were all released yesterday, so good luck getting something decent (but if you know where to look, there's some excellent cars that you wouldn't normally go in for), and we're holding out for SuperGT (Japanese), DTM (German), 2008 IRL, MotoGP and WRC (but the latter two are probably a long way away) ...

walkahz

HSC

Not to sure about this but i dont think f1 cars have an onboard starter motor. Most drivers wouldnt be able to get to the clutch before the car stalled.
It is also probably the suspension as they are fragile and dont even really like hitting ripple strips.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

I heard on the radio this afternoon that Webber has said that next year's F1 grand prix is going to be very difficult for all, with lots of retirements and unreliability.

yay? :(

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

I don't know much about the retirement rate, but I do know the FIA is cracking down on aero upgrades. Next year's cars will have a taller and narrower rear wing, and a larger front one that will have the sport's first legally-moveable aero device, which will allow the drivers to adjust the angle of ther front wing by +/- 3 degrees, but they can only do it twice per lap. I've seen photos and while the cars do look a little silly - like self-parody - but you get used to them after a little while. I think the reason is because all of the little fins and things are going to be gone.

The FIA basically asked three of the teams to analyse how the cars performed to find a way to produce overtaking. Rather than use the usual fluid dynamics used to design the vehicles, Ferrari, Renault and (I think it was) McLaren used a good old-fashioned wind tunnel. They found that at the current rate, cars generally have to be two seconds a lap quicker to be able to pass another car. They took the data they gathered, and managed to halve that amount to create a car that could overtake another if it was a second a lap quicker. While they said they could have taken it further, doing so would be counter-productive because the top teams would essentially breakaway out on the circuit - kind of like in the Tour de France - and the others wouldn't be able to catch them because you're actually lapping slower when you're dogfighting.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Yep. I read the article on formula1.com :p

Pictures though?

Last edited:

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

Looks like the championship is Hamilton's to lose. He took pole this afternoon, while the best Massa could do was fifth.

Bastard.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Good for Hamilton. I hope he takes it out easily. He's a fantastic driver.

I'm gonna stay up later tonight to watch the entire session, since I don't know any of the other results yet. Hope Webber, Vettel and Bourdais all go okay, since they're my favourites. <3

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Cause I feel sorry for him and I think there's some real talent to be found underneath there. Give him another year and I'm sure he'll provide. You can't win four consecutive champ car series championships without doing a helluva lot better than he's done this year. It's just...not possible! That is to say, I think he's got more to give. Also, he's a very nice guy form the interviews I've seen. :)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Hoho, oh this race is gonna be fun to watch if the live timing is anything to go by. :)

shanks27

HSC

just in, Bourd. got a 25sec time penalty for the incident with massa after his pit stop, relagating him to 9th and massa up to 7th and 2pt and webber into the points...should be interesting seeing the worlds reaction to that.

i haven;t seen the video of the incident again so can't tell who was defending posistion etc

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

What an outrage. Losing points for defending his racing line. Absolute horseshit.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

I posted that from uni so I watched the video as soon as I got home. Absolute rubbish. Bourdais did nothing wrong and Massa just expected Bourdais to give up the racing line to him. What the fuck for? They were racing for position, Massa pushed Bourdais nearly onto the grass and Bourdais rightfully didn't give way. He was coming out of the pits? Who cares. He was out of them and they were racing one another. Fucking load of shit bias to Ferrari just like what happened with Hamilton at Belgium, except this time it's even more unreasonable.

Hey while we're handing out bullshit penalties, can we give one to Massa for having all four wheels off the racing track like James Allen said? Apparently we give them out for obeying the rules now.

Fuck Massa and Ferrari. If Bourdais loses his drive over this I'm going to be spewing. Berger should appeal that decision.

Opinions?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Good to see I'm not the only one super pissed off about this.

Sebastien Bourdais said:
“For me it’s very clear. Yes, I exit the pits, yes I’m supposed to be careful and I was. I stayed inside and I didn’t push him out, I didn’t overshoot the corner. I did everything I could not to run into him and he just squeezed and turned and behaved like I didn’t exist, like I wasn’t there. What am I supposed to do?

“I’ve been in this position many, many times and I never had any incidents. It’s just a little bit of respect, you give each other room and then everything goes right, but if you don’t for sure it’s going to be an incident. I’ve been in this position many times, especially the position he is in fighting for championships and you just don’t take unnecessary risks like this. You’ve got everything to lose and nothing to gain. He was going to pit in three laps, I was ahead of him and he was going to finish behind us anyway. Why would you even think about doing something like that? I don’t understand.
Too right Bourdais, too right. What makes it even worse is that sped dickhead Massa is claiming that he was 100% in the right on both that issue and the one with Hamilton. The Hamilton one I can almost live with. The Bourdais one is completely unreasonable. Is this type of bias usual in this sport? I mean, can we have a bit of thought as to how many bullshit incidents Massa has caused this season without being penalised?

http://www.forumula1.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4585
http://www.forumula1.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4596
http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3265_4303107,00.html
http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3265_4303169,00.html
http://forum.planet-f1.com/index.php?t=msg&th=69723&start=0&
http://forum.planet-f1.com/index.php?t=msg&th=69708&start=0&

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)