• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Grass Factor (2 Viewers)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Grass or no grass, it's about the quality of teaching ...

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Elaborate please .
Uni's about providing the resources to learn yourself. Many of us go through entire subjects without going to a single lecture, for example So the quality of teaching isn't as large a factor as you would believe.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
at uni you grow up and learn shit for yourself

also as a civil engineering student I want to get rid of the grass and replace it all with wonderful concrete
There's a special place in hell for people like you.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
I chose Wollongong based upon:

a) personal recs from students/ex-students
b) locality
c) green, open campus - so I guess grass is included here

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
As a proper arts student, I find the physical presence of grass merely a by-product of the greater art student focus. That is, of course, beauty. Grass is nice in and of itself, but what if one has to view terrible, terrible buildings while sitting on said grass? No-one spends their grass time looking down, it's all about the view. The UNSW position on this can be surmised in the thought of - Would you rather live in a beautiful house and spend your days looking at an ugly one, or would you rather live in an ugly house and look at a beautiful one? Well USyd doesn't have that dilemma. You can lounge on grass, shaded or unshaded, and spend your time enjoying the view of gothic sandstone architecture, fountains, trees, sporting events, playing 'spot the hipster', or just reading a book in the sunlight.

Alternately, arts students spend a lot of time drinking (both coffee and alcohol), and with cute beergardens, you can drink AND spend time on grass. Now isn't that a recipe for #winning@lyf
woah woah woah

you're not even a student in your uni's arts faculty

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
As a proper arts student, I find the physical presence of grass merely a by-product of the greater art student focus. That is, of course, beauty. Grass is nice in and of itself, but what if one has to view terrible, terrible buildings while sitting on said grass? No-one spends their grass time looking down, it's all about the view. The UNSW position on this can be surmised in the thought of - Would you rather live in a beautiful house and spend your days looking at an ugly one, or would you rather live in an ugly house and look at a beautiful one? Well USyd doesn't have that dilemma. You can lounge on grass, shaded or unshaded, and spend your time enjoying the view of gothic sandstone architecture, fountains, trees, sporting events, playing 'spot the hipster', or just reading a book in the sunlight.

Alternately, arts students spend a lot of time drinking (both coffee and alcohol), and with cute beergardens, you can drink AND spend time on grass. Now isn't that a recipe for #winning@lyf
Heeeyyy...

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
woah woah woah

you're not even a student in your uni's arts faculty
Are you kidding me? Seriously?

My degree isn't technically under their administration, but I'm completing an arts major and it's the arts faculty that process the arts subject related paperwork and my honours application, so I am very much a student within their faculty. And really, considering that the arts faculty can be a bit flippant about some things, it's probably in my best interests that all my admin goes through science. I get the best of both worlds, the top arts faculty in the southern hemisphere, and an organised and efficient administration.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Are you kidding me? Seriously?

My degree isn't technically under their administration, but I'm completing an arts major and it's the arts faculty that process the arts subject related paperwork and my honours application, so I am very much a student within their faculty. And really, considering that the arts faculty can be a bit flippant about some things, it's probably in my best interests that all my admin goes through science. I get the best of both worlds, the top arts faculty in the southern hemisphere, and an organised and efficient administration.
m8 :p

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
... except I am a student in their faculty because I'm doing an arts major and so my subject area registers me for classes and stuff, and my subject area comes under the arts faculty, thereby making me an arts student.

herpaderp

Dash8

HSC
There needs to be a good grass to garden ratio. Too much grass means there's no shade and too much garden means it will look like the Griffith Nathan campus and we don't want that....

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
Everything else comes after sandstone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)