The hoo-hah surrounding investment banking (1 Viewer)

turtleface

HSC
Yes I agree with vagabond, I think both have their pro's and con's

On another note, I think its unfortunate not a lot of people here can give experiences about Investment Banking. Those who become a grad never have time to come on here again; Those who do summer vacation work are generally not invited back ever again; Those who have quit are unlikely to speak highly of it. oh well lol

sladehk

le random
HSC
good reading.

IB = high flying- work n play hard
big4 = ib to a lesser degree? more moderate?

ishq

brown?
HSC
excellent thread :)

and YES! to female bankers. :)

iamverystupid

HSC
frinkanator said:
there is no comparison to the IT bubble because the financial services sector is heavily regulated with the big firms conducting most of the IB services. they are lean and efficient and the personnel they need are minimal. they are just doing well now because of the strong economy. and that usually translates into bigger bonuses for the select few.
the tech boom happened because of the rise and newness of the internet, companies were popping out of nowhere with investment money flowing straight into them, with no real substance or sustainable growth. IT was the flavour of the month and everyone wanted some piece of the action.
Oh?
Read about Enron and you'll realise that many of the big investment banks don't play by the rules. The financial services sectors is regulated, but whether the firms themselves adhere to these regulations is another issue.

In terms of comparison with the IT sector, the investment community is facing conditions not seen before. The sheer amount of liquidity floating around is driving up prices in pretty much every asset class. If IT was a bubble, then we're similarly in a credit bubble right now.

Easy credit IS the flavour of the month.

I do agree with the rest of your post, IB does seem to be about dedication and such.
For those that do want to know more about Investment Banking, I recommend Monkey Business by John Rolfe and Peter Troob. Both ex- Donaldson, Lufkin and Jenrette (Acquired by Credit Suisse) IB's. It's pretty bleak but good read if you're interested in IB.

Also, if you're worried about IB going 'out of favour', pick up Liar's Poker by Micheal Lewis. It's contextual very similar, describing the strong bonds market of the 80's as well as the subsequent fall of one of the greatest bonds trading desks of the era at Saloman Brothers.

Enjoy!

frinkanator said:
but what would I know, I just 'trade' mum and dads shares and read the paper don't I? :p

Cheers.
If it's not too private, could I ask what you trade and through which institution?
PM is good for me.
I'm always on the lookout for cheaper rates lol.

edit: added recommendations.

Last edited:

frinkanator

HSC
iamverystupid said:
Oh?
Read about Enron and you'll realise that many of the big investment banks don't play by the rules. The financial services sectors is regulated, but whether the firms themselves adhere to these regulations is another issue.
Well I wasn't saying just because finance firms are regulated, they are perfect. If you're involved in the markets on a regular basis, you'll notice instances of market manipulation and 'shades' of insider trading..... and while they are somewhat 'bad' in the eyes of the unbiased law, you can't help but accept the fact that that's how the system works. The system is hardly a fair one. For every winner there's someone getting snuffed. But that's the premise of capitalism and free markets. The bigshot criminals will always be caught, because their actions cannot be sustained forever, but sometimes in small instances you'll find even those at the very top are in on the manipulation too. The big players in the market are the ones who make it. and as a trader you should be making most of it.

Indeed sometimes the regulation and red tape will aid in the corruption process. And you will usually see with the big corporate collapses, they are results of 'creative accounting' and bought auditors ;) .

In terms of comparison with the IT sector, the investment community is facing conditions not seen before. The sheer amount of liquidity floating around is driving up prices in pretty much every asset class. If IT was a bubble, then we're similarly in a credit bubble right now.

Easy credit IS the flavour of the month.
My point about the comparison with IT is - IB's, brokers, funds and such are the 'facilitators' of booms and busts so to speak. the investment firms were the ones funneling the transaction from investor to IT company, and noone was complaining about it because everyone was rolling in money. It's like that with every cycle.
However, with your point about the 'credit bubble' at the moment, I think that is more to do with the whole economy than just with banking. like I said, financial jobs are not likely to bust, like in IT, because they are lean, efficient and stable. They are the middle-men and most IB jobs are related to personal performance. and most importantly they aren't evolving in technology every 3 months like IT does. The advent of the internet caused evolution of businesses and a booming IT industry. Too much money slushing in IT caused it to bust, which is natural.

Now domestically everyone is spending at record highs, and yes people are getting into debt. whilst world wide, emerging economies in china, india, americas are continuing to fuel world demand. This isn't a credit bubble though. It's more of a saving/investment issue faced by most western economies. Whilst credit is not good debt wise, it stirs up the economy and growth. one would think as the economy grows, standard of living increases, so peoples capacity to pay off debt is better.
The economists learn from the cyclical crashes of past. yes we are booming at the moment, but it's no comparison to the tech boom. The rises in world markets now are scarily looking like pre 87 crash, but the difference is earnings ratios are much lower and inflation controlled - it looks like we're growing sustainably. Economies are now more cautious, controlling economic activity through careful policies, interest rates and monetary policy - we haven't seen a recession since the early 90's.

cheers.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
lol Frink

just when I thought I was forgetting year 12 economics you come here and drill it into my head again :p

iamverystupid

HSC
frinkanator said:
Indeed sometimes the regulation and red tape will aid in the corruption process. And you will usually see with the big corporate collapses, they are results of 'creative accounting' and bought auditors ;) .
Haha, I see you're familiar with Enron and Arthur Anderson. In relation to market manipulation, the problem is that its not just companies that engage in such practices, but theres overwhelming evidence that even governments and central banks do the same. Not that this is such a bad thing, or a big problem - just that it is often undisclosed to the general and investing public.

My point about the comparison with IT is - IB's, brokers, funds and such are the 'facilitators' of booms and busts so to speak. the investment firms were the ones funneling the transaction from investor to IT company, and noone was complaining about it because everyone was rolling in money. It's like that with every cycle.
Point taken.

However, with your point about the 'credit bubble' at the moment, I think that is more to do with the whole economy than just with banking. like I said, financial jobs are not likely to bust, like in IT, because they are lean, efficient and stable. They are the middle-men and most IB jobs are related to personal performance. and most importantly they aren't evolving in technology every 3 months like IT does. The advent of the internet caused evolution of businesses and a booming IT industry. Too much money slushing in IT caused it to bust, which is natural.
Yes, I agree that the credit bubble is very much a social and economic phenomenon, not limited to banking and financial services. However, from what I've been exposed to (through reading and anecdotes so I may be wrong as these might not be the most reliable sources) Investment Banks aren't always the most efficient nor lean institutions. In many portrayals, it is quite the contrary, a culture of excess and self-interest. It's that emphasis on personal performance that may cause IB'ers to make trades that may look good for themselves but ultimately not benefit the firm; of course as far as the compensation system allows.

Too much money slushing around is the reason I'm skeptical of asset markets at this point in time. I'll discuss it in the next part.

Now domestically everyone is spending at record highs, and yes people are getting into debt. whilst world wide, emerging economies in china, india, americas are continuing to fuel world demand. This isn't a credit bubble though. It's more of a saving/investment issue faced by most western economies. Whilst credit is not good debt wise, it stirs up the economy and growth. one would think as the economy grows, standard of living increases, so peoples capacity to pay off debt is better.
The economists learn from the cyclical crashes of past. yes we are booming at the moment, but it's no comparison to the tech boom. The rises in world markets now are scarily looking like pre 87 crash, but the difference is earnings ratios are much lower and inflation controlled - it looks like we're growing sustainably. Economies are now more cautious, controlling economic activity through careful policies, interest rates and monetary policy - we haven't seen a recession since the early 90's.
I agree with your premise; spending, debt and world demand and such. But what I'm personally worried about is that there is TOO much credit for people to pay back in any reasonable amount of time. The ability of individuals in emerging countries to payback debt will increase, but that isn't the problem since they are the ones with the savings. Most of the debt however, is concentrated in established countries - primarily the USA. Despite this, it doesn't seem like anything is being done to alleviate this dependance on credit.

Here's just a random article I found that describes what is happening:
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/USSavingsRateFallsToZero.aspx

I'm not sure what you mean by growing sustainably, I'm guessing that you refer to stock prices being in-line with historic p/e ratios and such. Well, I can't argue with that since profits have been on the rise as of late.

But I don't see how economic policy is at all sustainable. The USA is running triple-deficits and basic economics states that this is not sustainable - any period of living above your means must be balanced with a period of living below said means. In terms of a recession, I think if you keep pumping liquidity into any system, you're going to delay a downturn though not forever.

Perhaps we should continue this through PM so as to not stray off topic.

Thank you very much for your reply, I found it enlightening.

juzmister

HSC
Even though we are presently floating around in a "bubble" that will probably not float forever it does not mean that money will simply dissapear. Money will just move to different areas. Who says you can't make money of a declining market? You can sell short...

Even at present there are not many deals around, private equity firms are jumping onto everything in sight. It is a Sellers market at present, and it has been for quite a while, what does this mean for the Investment Banker? Soaring prices, and more competition in the financial services industry.

This boom will not last forever, how many sour deals have you seen as of late? Maybe there will be a bad deal, and a chain reaction, who knows? But, with a good view of the market that one has to gain with Investment Banking who really cares at present. If the market goes down, it will pick up again (it always does) You sell, and wait for the next boom, or as I said before, sell short on the fall.

If the life isn't for you, find another interest, there is plenty of money to be made in other industries. With the booming markets there will be opportunities in our lifetime, just keep your eyes open.

juzmister

HSC
But I don't see how economic policy is at all sustainable. The USA is running triple-deficits and basic economics states that this is not sustainable - any period of living above your means must be balanced with a period of living below said means. In terms of a recession, I think if you keep pumping liquidity into any system, you're going to delay a downturn though not forever.

I completely agree with your views of the US deficit, although the previous saying "When the US coughs the world catches a cold" does not apply as previously thought. If you noticed, there was a considerable slowdown in the US house prices, the impacts of which were supposed to be rather dramatic. China's GDP has been expanding at almost 7% a year, contrary to popular belief, people in China are spending again. This is compensational for what could be a slowdown in America. So if America does slowdown, do you really think this is going to have such a large impact on Investment Bankers?

The problem with the expanding US defecit is Social Security...The Iraq war is only further eating up America broader money, leaving less money to go around. The Baby Boomers are getting older, and it's pension time. This could have a domino effect in the US economy, one that I certainly would not want to see.

Do you personally think a US slowdown will have as large impact as previously thought?

iamverystupid

HSC
juzmister said:
Even though we are presently floating around in a "bubble" that will probably not float forever it does not mean that money will simply dissapear. Money will just move to different areas. Who says you can't make money of a declining market? You can sell short...

Even at present there are not many deals around, private equity firms are jumping onto everything in sight. It is a Sellers market at present, and it has been for quite a while, what does this mean for the Investment Banker? Soaring prices, and more competition in the financial services industry.

This boom will not last forever, how many sour deals have you seen as of late? Maybe there will be a bad deal, and a chain reaction, who knows? But, with a good view of the market that one has to gain with Investment Banking who really cares at present. If the market goes down, it will pick up again (it always does) You sell, and wait for the next boom, or as I said before, sell short on the fall.

If the life isn't for you, find another interest, there is plenty of money to be made in other industries. With the booming markets there will be opportunities in our lifetime, just keep your eyes open.
I think you misunderstand me, if my presentation of points was not direct then my apologies. What I referred to as a "bubble" is not simply money concentrated in an overvalued sector or asset class. I'm talking about the whole system of credit dependence that manifests in everything from credit card purchases to the billion dollar derivatives market. The Bank of International Settlements values the derivatives market at 800% Global GDP, so you have to wonder where all this "money" is coming from. Furthermore, other forms of debt (CDO's, ABS's etc.) are valued at another 150%+ of Global GDP. Now that's something close to a 10 times leverage of Global GDP in investment funds. In layman's terms, to payback all outstanding derivatives contracts and debts it would take the WORLD, at current levels, 10 years to do so.

So following from that, any significant slowdown in the US economy will most likely trigger major sell-offs across a range of asset classes. Now keep in mind that a large majority of derivatives positions are located within the US and other developed nations - now you've got yourselves a problem. Everyone wants to cash-out their derivatives and debt obligations, but there isn't enough money to pay it off.

That's just my take on it.

Cheers for the reply, any input is appreciated.

edit:
Sorry just saw the second post.
I think the slowdown will be alot more severe than first thought. If you've read any of the sub-prime lending contracts you will know what I mean. Some of those exploding ARM's are truly ridiculous. I'll try to find a source tomorrow as it is way too early in the morning.

And I do think it will have an effect on IB's. Alot of acquisition activity comes from the US as companies build up cash inventories. I don't think Chinese companies will be able to make up the difference if any slowdown was to occur, at least not in the short term.

Last edited:

juzmister

HSC
Another interesting point, but you know where this money is coming from? America's defecit has been supported by China for a long while, China poured money into the Dollar to keep it inflated. Now the source of the funding is classifed, but one can be fairly certain that this "money" is coming from China...It would not be a good move on Chinas part to relinquish their bonds.

stephenchow

HSC
Vagabond said:
No it doesnt... the difference is that the people working in sweatshops earn squat :p
The amount of effort needed in each field seems rather similiar and wouldn't earning squat and not being able to spend large amounts of money be sort of similiar?

matt88m

HSC
N/A
I havent read this thread...but my dad works at deutsche bank and I could pass on some questions if any of you have any?
Career path im going for too lol..

stephenchow

HSC
matt88m said:
I havent read this thread...but my dad works at deutsche bank and I could pass on some questions if any of you have any?
Career path im going for too lol..
Does he actually do investment banking? If not then............................................

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
stephenchow said:
Does he actually do investment banking? If not then............................................
Huh? Deutsche Bank is an investment bank. Most likely he will b an ib. lol

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm guessing you mean investment banking in the strict sense of advisory stuff since everything that's said here (hours, pay etc) seems to pertain to advisory roles. That said...

His dad could be in Global Markets. Not to mention HR, controlling, operations, finance, asset management, technology

I don't know if you've noticed... people like ND with actual IB experience have stopped posting here. There're so many people plucking facts out of their a****. Who the F keeps saying IB grads get paid 70k in all the IB-related threads??? They don't, ok?

stephenchow

HSC
AppleXY said:
Huh? Deutsche Bank is an investment bank. Most likely he will b an ib. lol
Yeah but there is got to be other jobs in investment banks besides just investment banking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)