• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The MQ Get Healthy/Study Thread (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
breakfast - think I slept through it
lunch - some quiche and some mashed potato
dinner - roast chicken and more mashed potato

study - did my cul207 presentation for tomorrow
exercise - did a short hover excercise and 16 situps just then, doing some belly dancing/samba as we speak

HSC
N/A
awww man one of my dogs ate my dinner :'( I put the sushi rolls on a plate on my desk because I knew I wouldn't be eating them till after my shower... when I came back, there was no trace of my sushi rolls (I actually spent 5 mins wandering the house wondering where the heck I put them) and then I found the soy sauce packets on my floor :'( bye bye, healthy dinner! :(

Breakfast - bacon and egg mcmuffin + hash brown
Lunch - skipped
Afternoon tea - four slices of bread with melted cheese on top, yummmmmy
Dinner - dogs ate it so Lynny will have to go hungry :'(

Study - I did a presentation today so I really couldn't be stuffed working on anything else yet. I know I should though :( I can pick from cul207 essay, arts200 presentation, arts200 assessment, cul202 assessment... oh the variety :p

Exercise - I did a little isolation work today. Will try and do more pilates tonight, maybe run though some examwork...

lengy

HSC
That wedge would look better as a high heel. Looks really odd as a wedge. The design's rather nice though.

HSC
N/A
The wings I would LOVE are these:

Naturally, I'm still trying to figure out how they were made. These wings basically defy sewing logic (save the fact I can tell there is boning/wiring along the top edge of the wings) so I assume the fabric is extra-stiff, and/or there is extra reinforcement along the edges of the wings. Hrm.

The ones I could buy from the store are basically these:

I'd shorten the middle strap part though, it's too wide and looks weird :/ Unfortunately, the ones in the store (checked 4 discount stores today and only one had this type) are RAINBOW COLOURED so I would have to re-paint the wings. I'm kinda concerned that pale pink spray paint won't go over bright blue/yellow/pink very well :/ Maybe I have to spray paint the whole thing white first just to create a better base?

If I end up making wings, I'd probably try and do something like this:

Which actually isn't too different from the pair above, it's just... bigger. The coathangers at home are too stiff to bend, so I'm going to have to go to a hardware store and find some wire there...

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
glitterfairy said:

Naturally, I'm still trying to figure out how they were made. These wings basically defy sewing logic (save the fact I can tell there is boning/wiring along the top edge of the wings) so I assume the fabric is extra-stiff, and/or there is extra reinforcement along the edges of the wings. Hrm.
where is that from? at a first glance, i actually saw the top as stiff and the bottom as flowing / hanging. if it's from a series of still pictures i wouldn't be surprised if that was true (i.e. that they do defy the logic of sewing, can't be worn in everyday life because the bottom wouldn't be stiff enough and are only good for posed, still pictures). hmm, puzzling. pretty though

HSC
N/A
Those are actually commercially made wings - lost the link but there's some woman on ebay custom-making them for weddings and stuff, so they're definately usable (and supposed to last for ages, apparently...)

I can tell there's boning on the top edge of the wing, but from halfway down the logic defies me. Most fabrics - even a stiff organza - will NOT just sit out like that, it'll curl or fold at the ends because it's unsupported...

It looks unsupported save for the top boning, you can see the bottom of the wing curling a bit...

gah :(

EDIT: Mike thinks are "struts" in the wing itself to support the shape, one at the top (which everyone can see), one roughly from neck level to wingtip and another from about where her elbow is, to wingtip - if you look carefully there are slight folds/strains in the fabric.

From a seamstress's perspective, these could also have been caused if a) the entire wing was cut on the bias, the upper 'strain' is caused by the area where the fabric is stretched on the grain (ie non-stretchy part of fabric) and the second fold is a natural crease...

what does everyone else think?

Last edited:

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
i haven't done this in a while, i've been totally bludging and not eating right or not eating at all. My apologies. I've still managed to lose about 0.4kg over the past 2 weeks, even though i shud have gained about that much.

Today:
Breakfast: Cup of rice with boiled chicken and bok choy and this chilli stuff (leftovers from last nights dinner)
Lunch: Natural youghurt with low fat muesli on top.

Excercise: 43mins on cross trainer, 15 minutes of weights and about 2 hours of shopping

Study: friggen need to study for my exam on tuesday!

pixie poppet

HSC
well as usual the day started off i a promising fashion
breakfast was special k with blueberry yogurt..
followed by dorritos and a picnic chocolate bar
how does everyone stay so focussed on achieving these healthy eating goals? I just cant manage to do the health food thing for longer than 2 weeks..
any tips?

lengy

HSC
The material looks like normal cloth that's just been cut like that and it's just hanging there. I would've thought the wings were photoshopped but since you say they are real the closest material I can think of is cloth like that used on tables, It's very light and partially see through and the wings would stay like that if there was still air. However you state that the wings are durable so I considered silk, like those used in parachutes which could be transluscent and durable at the same time. Just a guess though. I may not in fact be wire holding it up but some kind of flexible piping or rod that's been shaped in that form.

HSC
N/A
breakfast - slept through
lunch - gah I can barely remember, maybe melted cheese on toast?
dinner - some pasta and some more melted cheese on toast

study - none, got hugely distracted with dying computer (it's basically unusable right now lol) and msn etc
exercise - choreographed for an hour, taught for two hours. Did some pilates and lyrical jazz (kind of a cross between jazz and classical ballet) after work :)

mserica

HSC
So Far...... I have managed to loose a total of 3.4 kgs over four weeks of gym training so all is going to plan, i have to make sure that like yesterday i ate a whole packet of m&m's three milky ways and probably 6 hot chocolates.... Eeeek... usually i only have around 3 hot choccies, but hey i will go to the gym after uni this morning (Saturday Classes ..ewwww)

Anyways So far for my daily diet i have had 3 pieces of toast with vegemite and a hot chocolate with marshmellows.....

pb

Inside The Hollow
HSC
yesterday's fooding:

breakfast: coffee & up &go & dare coffee shot
lunch: sticky rice with little bits of sausage and prawns and 1/2 a chicken skewery kebab thing (those really really greasy ones) - very oily. i tried to blot it with a tissue but the tissue just got stuck so i had to go get more food lol.
dinner: congee&noodles& fried chicken
so healthy! lol

on thursday lol, me and my friend shared one of those massive foamy box thingies of chips with gravy and we felt so guilty but it was sooo good.

exercise: i got kinda lost yesterday lol so lots of walking... and today i was carrying my laptop and books around just for like 30mins but man that was like a workout! hot weather+heavy stuff. im sleepy.

ooh! i've also realised soemthing this week. moove, big M, breaka etc... just cuz they're coffee flavoured, doesn't mean they have much caffeine lol. so much for relying on them haha.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
i've been sooo bad today too

i woke up late and ate whatever was on the counter and it was DEEPLY fried bacon and eggs and french toast, i had heartburn in the morning at work :s until i worked on the floor and started moving, then i had a madarin and a muesli/yoghurt for lunch and an apple and also while i was on the floor i ate a chocolate :s

When i got home, i ate two fried steaks lol and rice and clams (leftover bbq stuff)

Oh gosh, i bet you i gained 5kgs today

no excercise today either, unless u count 3 hours of working on the floor

pb

Inside The Hollow
HSC
i bought a gym ball and i don't know what to do with it lol

today's food
breakfast: 2pc toast with pb and margarine, coffee
snack: dare cappucino thingy (whole bottle.. had a biiiig tummy ache after)
lunch: mocha
dinner: 4 slices of pizza topping (i didn't eat the base or crust)

exercise: nothing
study: did just pretty easy tute over a few hours.. soooo slowly just cuz all i wanted to do was sleep

edit: i'm eating real bad these days, but at least im happy (..well not about my gut lol) ... and i think i eat less anyway.. just real junky and too much caffeine

editedit: dinner2 =/ : rice with zuchinni stirfry thingy + hot choc atm

Last edited:

mserica

HSC
Hey pb, do your leg and ab workouts on it, it works a treat...

i went to the gym 35 mins of running, 15 mins on cross trainer and 10 mins of light weights - thats it for me... im cactus..

HSC
N/A
The thing is, I would still expect parts of that wing to fold. Now, if it were shaped like this - (top wire is represented by O's, wing outline by asterisks)

.............................................oooo*
......................................oooo~~~*
...............................oooo~~~~~*
.......................oooo~~~~~~~*
................oooo~~~~~~~~*
........oooo~~~~~~~~~~*
oooo~~~~~~~~~~~*

Then it would be fine. Why? Because everything is more or less "supported", and if not the fabric isn't given enough room to go anywhere other than the way it's supposed to.

However, if it's like this (and this is same example as in photo, problem area designated by "X")

.................................................................oooo*
.........................................................oooo~~~*
..................................................oooo~~~~~*
...........................................oooo~~~~~~~*
...................................oooo~~~~~~~~~*
............................oooo~~~~~~~~~~*
.....................oooo~~~~~~~~~~*
..............oooo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~X
..........oo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~X
..... oo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~X < how is this supported? It's hanging
...oo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~X on nothing! :(
oo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~X

Unless the fabric used is cardboard or something extremely reinforced (such as stitch-on fabric stiffener), normal fabric will "fold" (think of clothes on the clothesline - if you don't peg them in place, it'll just hang down, right? Sleeves won't stick out, they will just give in to gravity and drop. Same thing here). Now, obviously the fabric is sheer (because we can see through it), so this presents a conundrum as sheer fabrics fold the most easily... add the "fact" that the wing outline barring the top seems unsupported (because it's curling at the bottom, regular fabric edging or even overlocking will NOT hold fabric outlines in place, it's just a finishing), and then we have a classic "how the f*** did they do that?" :p

If only it were as easy as using a sheer fabric and roll hemming the edges :( But I really don't think it is...

Breakfast (6am) - 2 slices of cheese on toast
Lunch - skipped
Dinner (6pm) some eye fillet steak with a very little bit of potato
Supper (9pm) two ham and cheese sandwiches

Study - none
Exercise - 1 1/2 hour flamenco class, (whoo one of my classmates has nicknamed me "Lynn de la fuego" (not sure if that's correct spelling... it means "the fiery one" :)), was also on my feet from 4:30-8pm at the canteen

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
in that photo, the fabric (polyester organza) is still "folding" though. :(

Second idea is how most people do that extra wing curve. Would really love to know how they got it without that extra wire though... but ah well. I think we've/I've been going on about fairy wings and sewing for far too long, let's change topic ;)

Breakfast - slept through
lunch - cheese on toast
afternoon tea - 2 sushi rolls
dinner - pending

Study - none so far
Exercise - singing rehearsal (nerves burn energy, right? :p)

List of Other Things I have to do:
*sew costumes for next weekend!!! TONIGHT! check! Decided not to alter one of them... a measly 4cm off the hem isn't worth doing ;)
*practice songs again
* Start on cul207 essay due thursday! TONIGHT!

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Breakfast - Bacon and egg mcmuffin and hash brown (running late for uni due to stupidly taking blocked up freeway, no time to wait for Gloria Jeans bananabread)

Lunch - Chicken Pasta

Dinner - pizza

Study - none. GAH my computer crashed a few days ago, and just this afternoon my laptop crashed too. GRRRRRR (currently on brother's computer whilst he is asleep)

Exercise - tap class (got up to 6 combos today before dying, yay! It's nice to see the stamina very slowly coming back...)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)