The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

Jimmy_B

HSC
- L1n - said:
Refs are just human beings, blame FIFA for not implementing a video ref, anyhow this isn't as bad as the England Argentina 1986 world cup game when maradona scored the hand ball goal.

human or not, if you couldn't see how obvious that dive was you're not good enough to be reffing a game at this level. any flak he gets is totally justified.

- L1n -

HSC
Jimmy_B said:
human or not, if you couldn't see how obvious that dive was you're not good enough to be reffing a game at this level. any flak he gets is totally justified.

so your saying if u were in the refs situations, the fact that he wasn't that close to the play, you without bias consider that a foul, IMHO it was more like a trip then a dive. Either way both neil and Grosso contributed to the penalty, apart from a hand ball, it takes 2 to result in a penalty in box.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
credit to the italian defence though, they were outnumbering our attacks even a man down, buffon did well too.

we really missed an incisive edge in attack, which might have been provided by harry kewell...

but thank you guus for bringing us so far and oh so fucking tragically close... lets remember how well weve played in this tournament, in this game. we were abled to match it with nations with great football traditions in a competitive competition. who'd have thougt so just 10 month ago after that spineless tournament under frank farina.

gerrard houlier or not, whoever the coach, lets hope that this is the start of a great story of football in this nation, not the end of a tragic.

Jimmy_B

HSC
- L1n - said:
so your saying if u were in the refs situations, the fact that he wasn't that close to the play, you without bias consider that a foul, IMHO it was more like a trip then a dive. Either way both neil and Grosso contributed to the penalty, apart from a hand ball, it takes 2 to result in a penalty in box.
one of a refs primary skills is to get into a good position to make correct decisions. if he wasn't in a good position to see the incident it's his fault. if he makes a wrong decision it's his fault.

neill overcommits but makes no contact, grosso falls, the ref makes the wrong call. i dunno who else to blame?

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
- L1n - said:
lol Grella must be like 10 meters tall. It was lucas neil.
yejh i realised after i posted, fking brain not exactly straight right now... lol, theres some loss of info between my head and my fingers

- L1n -

HSC
Jimmy_B said:
one of a refs primary skills is to get into a good position to make correct decisions. if he wasn't in a good position to see the incident it's his fault. if he makes a wrong decision it's his fault.

neill overcommits but makes no contact, grosso falls, the ref makes the wrong call. i dunno who else to blame?
The refs always cops shit, but thats why the teams should always do more don't just rely on the ref to make good calls. Everyone makes mistakes, human nature. Australia did'nt help themselves either by not able to capitalise on the extra man situation.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
- L1n - said:
what makes u say that?
Italy Korea 2002 WC, same stage, Totti dives in the box and gets sent off, Korea score late in extra time and win the game.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
In the end I think it was our own fault for being unable to do anything constructive in front of goal. I'm not saying Italy deserved to win, but our attack wasn't exactly anything special.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Oh well...now that the socceroos have been eliminated (albeit unfairly)...my support is solely behind the Portuguese side.

Despite all of you guys in here virtually having written off Portugal's chances of progressing further after yesterdays 'bloodbath' of a match against Netherlands in which almost every player in our squad was yellow-carded, Ronaldo was injured and Deco and Costinha were sent-off ...I think that we will still put forward a strong side to meet England in the quarter-final.

Deco will be sorely missed in the upcoming game...but we have several decent options for his replacement. Perhaps Luis Figo will play in central midfield like he did against Angola? Or maybe because Figo is on a yellow card... Scolari will instead go with Hugo Viana, Luis Boa Morte or even Nuno Gomes in this attacking central midfield role. In any case, we have plenty of options for his replacement.

As for who the wingers playing outside the chosen CAM may be, Simao will probably play on the right and Ronaldo (apparently an 80% chance of recovering in time to face England :)) will probably play on the left.

As for the two defensive midfielders that Scholari likes to employ for Portugal...I'm guessing that Maniche will start, in spite of his yellow card because he is in awesome form at the moment and one of either Petit or Tiago (despite both also being on yellow cards) will start alongside him.

In defence, maybe we shall see Paulo Ferreira brought in on the left, cos Valente also got a yellow card. Caneira is also a possibility to start in this position.

Anyway...given all of the above...I think that the Portugal side to take on England will look something like this:

GK: Ricardo

RB: Miguel
CB: Ricardo Carvalho
CB: Miera
LB: Valente or Paulo Ferreira

DM: Maniche
DM: Tiago or Petit

LM: Simao
CAM: Figo or Viana or Boa Morte or Nuno Gomes
RM: Ronaldo

CF: Pauleta

...Portugal's depth of quality means that we will still field a quality side despite so many yellow cards and suspensions. We will not be fielding a "B" side against England and I think that we still have a great chance of making it to the quarter-finals. Forca Portugal!

pete_mate

HSC
i was there in the middle of 10,000 people at circular quay.

when that penalty was scored, i said "FUCK OFF!!!" so everyone could hear, about 4 times, my voice box is now fucked.

it was just ridiculous to be robbed of the match in the last 10 seconds, when we had majority posession.

I am very suprised a riot did not break out, though some people were smashing things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)