The Official 2007 AFL Thread (1 Viewer)

SyCoTiC

HSC
The Dogs and Power's win means nothing if they can't replicate it against Essendon - A team with much more structure in their forward and backline and pretty much lack pace in their midfield to really get them started at times in the game. If Sydney can go in hard on Saturday and play the full game, clear the ball and get as much balls into the forward line then we will go a long way to winning.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
who is going to the swans bombers game? give me a shout, i will be working in the members stand, someone with a suit and tie. i will hook you up with some freebies.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
oh what a close game that was, but oh so close
swans 2nd 1 point defeat this season :(

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I hate watching the Swans play this season. Last season the same thing would happen, but they'd win by 1 point. This season its the reverse :(

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Wow, that was an awful miss on the out of bounds :(

SyCoTiC

HSC
That was the most pathetic display of officiating I've seen in a long time and I'm not the type to criticise umpires very often for a team's fate but honestly.. Umpire Chamberlain is going to be copping a lot this week for that blatant miss. The entire ball was out yet he managed to miss it, his angle was good enough to recognise it.

Disgraceful.

Not to mention the number of free kicks that went against us and I've noticed that they're back to poaching Hall. Mal Michael was falling to the ground like a softy 50% of the time and the umpire has a look, player's on the floor, awards the free kick. Essendon are absolute cock-heads for milking free kicks, in particular Welsh who ducked his head into Fosdike's knee and got a free kick for it. Pathetic.

Last edited:

wyho

HSC
N/A
Umpires: C Donlon S McLaren R Chamberlain

i dont know which one but the one who didnt call the ball out of bounds is a fucker

SyCoTiC

HSC
That'd be Chamberlain. I bet the fucker is a Bombers supporter.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
hahaha hell probably be demoted or something
still swans werent playing their absolute best, but they always come home strong
*waits for adders to launch his attack on the swans*

is2SWaNz

HSC
Disgraceful umpiring. Absolutley disgraceful. I thought there were 4 more yellow men playing for the Bombers that night. Even though the Bombers were better that night, Swans could've won even if we played like how we did last night.

The 'high tackle' made by Fosdike is an absolute disgrace. The Bombr grabbed the ball and he ducked his head, and took on the tackler. And the umpire gave a free against against Fosdike for a high tackle.

In the third quarter, Hall should've goaled. Hall just shoved Mal away with a small bump on the shoulders. Ridiculous, soft free kick! Also, in our attacking 50, Malceski scooped up the ball and was tackled by 3 bombers. And the Eski got pinged for holding the ball!!! As if Nick Malceski had any prior opportunity to dispose the ball. Disgraceful... and Amon could've become the hero.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
i was at the game, and swans supporters are not very good losers. they booed the other team when their team lost. i understand the umpires might have played a part in the lost, but hell, booing the other team when they didn't do anything wrong? that's just unaustralian.

one swanies fan said to me 'well, 3 umpires can win a game, can't they?' no. if the swans were indeed good enough to beat the bombers fair and square, then even the umpires can't do anything too obvious about it.

so to all the swans supporters here, regardless of the umpires' involvements, just cop it on the chin guys.

btw, i am not an afl fan, i'd just like to point that out.

is2SWaNz

HSC
This is the first time, for me, have I heard the supporters boo the opposition after a loss. Now thats saying something...

Of course the umpires decisions really fuelled the supporters, unfortunatley I couldn't go last night, but I would've done the same thing.

We lost becuase the Bombers were way better than us, but that doesn't mean the umpires can make the win look ugly and controversial. Swans still had a chance, regardless if we played bad, we only lost by one point. It is amazing how Bombers couldn't put on scoreboard pressure...

At the end of the day, Bombers should've won and they did. However, the only thing they couldn't do was show it on the scoreboard. Swans are known for great come backs and we witnessed another one tonight. We had our chance and we took that opportunity as Lucas couldn't convert 3/4 times in the 2nd half. We were up here for the win and it's shameful the umpires had to ruin our chances despite our poor performance last night.

I know the Swans lost, but I can't swallow the disgraceful umpiring.

Last edited:

is2SWaNz

HSC
wuddie said:
i was at the game, and swans supporters are not very good losers. they booed the other team when their team lost. i understand the umpires might have played a part in the lost, but hell, booing the other team when they didn't do anything wrong? that's just unaustralian.

one swanies fan said to me 'well, 3 umpires can win a game, can't they?' no. if the swans were indeed good enough to beat the bombers fair and square, then even the umpires can't do anything too obvious about it.

so to all the swans supporters here, regardless of the umpires' involvements, just cop it on the chin guys.

btw, i am not an afl fan, i'd just like to point that out.
Umpires can have an influence in the game. There are many examples and how many times have you watched an AFL game?

Umpires can influence the results. A clear example would be last weeks game: The Tigers and the Bombers. Controversial rule. Almost gave the tigers their first win of the season. 'The push in the back rule' is stupid. Umpires have diffeernt interpretations and at times they are very very soft. One decision, either be plausible or disgraceful, can change the game. I felt sorry for the Tigers that night.

I have another example involving the Swans and the Eagles in the 2005 QF. The umpires association even apologised for one crucial decision which cost us the chance to have a week break and play for the GF. However, in hindsight, that game didn't matter in the end. We won the flag, but the point is that umpires can impact on the game. Teams don't have to be very good to kick a few goals and win a game. They are tight. And one wrong decision can really jeopardize a team's season or chance come finals time.

Anywho, Swans lost. I acknowlegde that, but I won't acknowledge the umpires woeful decisions.

Last edited:

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
so would it help you to 'swallow the disgraceful umpiring' if the umpires apologise on monday morning? it won't change that fact that swans lost the game and didn't get the 4 comp points, also doesn't change the fact that bombers got the cup (whatever the hell they were playing for).

you said there are many examples of bad umpiring, i assume you mean its a regular occurrence. well then, it should not be a surprise to you then. you can't say the swans have never played a game where bad decisions had gone in swans' favor. why the swans fans booed the other team, but not the umpires, it is shameful and you can't defend that.

the reason i brought this up is because i am a league fan, and when refs get it wrong, the fans boo the umpires, throw cans at them or whatever, but the other team still gets the credit for winning. we DON"T boo the other team, it is only in the spirit of the game. but maybe afl lacks that and i am not surprised.

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
wyho said:
Umpires: C Donlon S McLaren R Chamberlain

i dont know which one but the one who didnt call the ball out of bounds is a fucker
It's up the boundry umpire to decide if its out or not. Those three do have the final decision but ultimately the onus is on the boundry umpires.

wuddie said:
Don't you give me this fucking unaustralian shit. Essedon knew what they were doing when they milked so many free kicks.

I was at the game and god it was the most annoying game to ever watch. Obvious free kicks infront of me not being paid, while also being straight infront of the umps aswell.

Second or third quater the free were like this at the end of that term 10 to Essedon - 2 to Sydney. Now I don't care but it should never have been like that. Sydney didn't just have a couple of bad calls against them, there was plenty of bad calls. All three umps should be shot.

NOTE: Essedon should also have never been awarded that point after the siren after the third quater.

All in all the biggest discrace of umpiring I have ever seen in AFL football, and I've been watching AFL since I was 6.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)