• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The Official Football Thread 2005/2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Well Liverpool lost (as I predicted). They were playing the same game they've been playing in England and Europe, which just isn't gonna cut it against a top Brazilian side

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Poor Pool, lookz like you just ain't good enough to be the Championz of the World.

I don't know if I should watch the big one, it might turn out to be a snooze-fest, and I gotta get to work tomorrow at 7 45.

nedzelic

HSC
geeze just think what wouldv'e happened if the blinds-man had have allowed van persie's goal - we wouldn't be talking about a arsenal crsis, we wouldv'e been talking about a title race

and fuck the hoops. that is the 2nd time they've been the final piece of a 9 piece accumulator and didn't win. never will i bet on them again

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I don't think you guys actually watched the game. Liverpool completely and utterly destroyed Sao Paolo everywhere on the park except where it counted. Our defence, but for one slip, was solid as usual. We controlled the midfield in the centre and on the flanks. It was only some extraordinarily poor finishing/timing of runs that let us down- Pongolle's goal which was ruled offside was also a bit unlucky. Meh. Rafa did something strange by not letting Crouch on earlier, or Cisse on at all though. Making all the substitutions after 80+ minutes when you're chasing a game is quite incomprehensible to me.

Good on Boro for holding Tottenham. Liverpool stay 3rd with 2 games in hand. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to do the drop at Anfield against Newcastle.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.:(

Hopefully we can pull through the next 4 games undefeated and set up a nice clash with ManU.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I watched the first half, Liverpool were in no way dominating. It was pretty even but Liverpool didn't have the flair that the Brazilians had

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
And ManU have won 2-0. I think Villa may slip from perennial mid table holders to relegation fodder, the way things are looking.
Sure hope not. :( They’ve got an impressive squad this season, apart from their ‘defence’. I reckon all they are missing is (i) consistency; (ii) getting the best out of their personnel. They’ve had some horror-signings of late, players who show a lot of promise (by way of solid reputations) when initially signed, and then it’s all downhill from there on, for various reasons. A couple of these players being:

Bosko Balaban (was top scorer in the Croatian league for two consecutive seasons. Played less than a dozen games for the Villains. BTW, here’s an ‘article’ a remember reading sometime back, Found in Cupboard.
Patrick Berger (past his L’pool days, but hardly turns up these days, injury or no injury)
Wilfried Bouma (was impressive at PSV, looks ever so ordinary at Villa Park)
Stan Collymore (brought in for a British record transfer at the time -I actually have a newspaper cutting for that somewhere, hadn’t been acquainted with this internet thing back then- I was totally ecstatic, for a couple of months, after which the usual feeling set in)
David Ginola (absolutely superb at Newcastle, and Spurs. Then he joined Villa..)
Mustapha Hadji (deprived his new club of his natural flair)
Ronny Johnsen (chronic injury, never got going)
Paul Merson (never got going)
Savo Milosevic (hot today, cold tomorrow)
Luc Nilis (got injured on his debut following a great Euro 2000 campaign)
Peter Schmeichel (turned out to be a non-event)
Marcus Allback (got injured within his first 3-4 months, also after a solid Euro 2000 campaign)
Eirik Bakke (on loan from Leeds, one could be forgiven for thinking that he’s in Birmingham just for recovery purposes).

I'll leave it at 'unlucky 13'.

bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
And my rant was way too long considering I just got back from an 18th. Im too sober, there was free grog there. Oh well.
Happy belated B’day mate. :D

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
RyddeckerSMP said:
Yeah that really was some good football...... but he still is overreaching to much, he has the capacity to be one of the world's best, but at the moment he doesn't have the discipline i think.
Yeah, he's just trying to be too good, way too soon. I think he needs some better man-management from Fergie, just to get him to keep things simple, get the game flowing, et al. Hope he pulls himself together soon enough though.

So much for hoping for Arsenal to grab points off Chelsea. I was half-expecting Wenger to come up with something like "the other 18 teams put too much pressure on my players to get the result we would otherwise have pulled off. I blame all those teams for tonight's result, especially MU and Sir AF".

Gunners are a wreck at the moment, luckily for them there are other goings-on - such as the re-emergence of L'pool; dissimilar season for MU; the Chelsea juggernaut - which is keeping them from copping the brunt from the tabloids.

R.I.P. Rafa's Dad.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
Benny_ said:
I don't think you guys actually watched the game. Liverpool completely and utterly destroyed Sao Paolo everywhere on the park except where it counted. Our defence, but for one slip, was solid as usual. We controlled the midfield in the centre and on the flanks. It was only some extraordinarily poor finishing/timing of runs that let us down- Pongolle's goal which was ruled offside was also a bit unlucky. Meh. Rafa did something strange by not letting Crouch on earlier, or Cisse on at all though. Making all the substitutions after 80+ minutes when you're chasing a game is quite incomprehensible to me.

Good on Boro for holding Tottenham. Liverpool stay 3rd with 2 games in hand. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to do the drop at Anfield against Newcastle.
that linesman in the second half was a bit dodgy....
bazookajoe said:
Well Liverpool lost (as I predicted). They were playing the same game they've been playing in England and Europe, which just isn't gonna cut it against a top Brazilian side
bazookajoe said:
I watched the first half, Liverpool were in no way dominating. It was pretty even but Liverpool didn't have the flair that the Brazilians had
lol...i watched the second half, and SPFC werent really....brazilian :/ they were getting hammered by l'pool

i'd still say your posts are off, their 'style' still meant the dominated (at least the second half). They did cut it, but lost because they just couldnt finish it off

i think Rafa needs to go home and see his family :(

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Well Liverpool might have outplayed Sao Paulo, but they lost in the end. Man Utd completely outplayed Blackburn in a league game thiz season but lost 2-1, doezn't mean shit when you're at the wron end of the scoreline. Anyway itz over, no need to cry on it.

Oh and Arsenal em shit kuntz, Henry should get the fuck outta there now, unless they go on to win the Championz League.

Meanwhile Spartak Moscow defender Nemanja Vidic might be on hiz way to Man U. I don't know much about that guy, but maybe he can play in the holdin midfield role...?

Last edited:

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
Paragon said:
Sure hope not. :( They’ve got an impressive squad this season, apart from their ‘defence’. I reckon all they are missing is (i) consistency; (ii) getting the best out of their personnel. They’ve had some horror-signings of late, players who show a lot of promise (by way of solid reputations) when initially signed, and then it’s all downhill from there on, for various reasons. A couple of these players being:

Bosko Balaban (was top scorer in the Croatian league for two consecutive seasons. Played less than a dozen games for the Villains. BTW, here’s an ‘article’ a remember reading sometime back, Found in Cupboard.
Patrick Berger (past his L’pool days, but hardly turns up these days, injury or no injury)
Wilfried Bouma (was impressive at PSV, looks ever so ordinary at Villa Park)
Stan Collymore (brought in for a British record transfer at the time -I actually have a newspaper cutting for that somewhere, hadn’t been acquainted with this internet thing back then- I was totally ecstatic, for a couple of months, after which the usual feeling set in)
David Ginola (absolutely superb at Newcastle, and Spurs. Then he joined Villa..)
Mustapha Hadji (deprived his new club of his natural flair)
Ronny Johnsen (chronic injury, never got going)
Paul Merson (never got going)
Savo Milosevic (hot today, cold tomorrow)
Luc Nilis (got injured on his debut following a great Euro 2000 campaign)
Peter Schmeichel (turned out to be a non-event)
Marcus Allback (got injured within his first 3-4 months, also after a solid Euro 2000 campaign)
Eirik Bakke (on loan from Leeds, one could be forgiven for thinking that he’s in Birmingham just for recovery purposes).

I'll leave it at 'unlucky 13'.

Happy belated B’day mate. :D
Thanks for the birfdee cheer.

Those players you listed have got some collective pedigree, Ive got the feeling Milan Baros' name may be on a similar list in a few years. Shame, really. What about Laursen, a pretty high profile signing coming from Milan? I think hes injured for the season, so perhaps thats too harsh. JPA hasnt looked as good as he did a few seasons ago. And while Manchester fans always said Djemba x2 was too shit to play for them, I thought he might have more success at a mid table club. Hes been well shite as a Villian as well. Oh, and Phillips could end up in the same boat as the thirteen lucky sods you listed above. (I remember Bosko's time there- its good to see him doing really well at Brugge now). Anyway, i think Villa's era of being perrenial underachievers is well over, and now set for the lower mid table for eternity. I hope the rumours in England arent true, and our Harry doesnt end up there.

And it seems South American clubs always end up the winners in these intercontinental cup clashes, even tho the perception is that European clubs are extremely superior.

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
LMF^^ said:
Meanwhile Spartak Moscow defender Nemanja Vidic might be on hiz way to Man U. I don't know much about that guy, but maybe he can play in the holdin midfield role...?
Haha, the new Keano? Is that holding midfield spot going to be cursed like the keeper spot was? Instead of replacing the Great Dane, Sir Alex might have a nightmare replacing the Angry Irishmen.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Vidic is a CB. Spartak has slapped a £10 mil price tag on him. I think Daniel Agger of Brondby is a better prospect at a cheaper price.

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
And isnt it good to see race riots that arent connected to Football? Aye, we arent the only hooligans. :D Why cant everyone just go back to the good ol' days when the riots were between Catholics and Protos? :D
Im not quoting myself coz I have an ego, but coz Im correcting myself. Apparently us wogball lovers are the cause of it all. Again.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/socce...is-a-real-worry/2005/12/13/1134236065324.html

Nationalism hijacking sport is a real worry
By Greg Baum
December 14, 2005

Flying the flag sometimes lowers the colours, especially when joined by anthems of anger.

ONE month, Australians mass with their flags and their anthem at Stadium Australia and howl at those who are not like us. The next, a few kilometres away at Cronulla, Australians mass with their flags and their anthems and howl at those who are not like us. The comparison is unavoidable and disturbing.

Australians in this mood echo to strains of other places and other times. They place outsized store by symbols of their nationhood.

They do not just wave flags, but brandish them. They do not simply sing the anthem, but chant it, and drown out any other with booing. Nowhere is there the suggestion of humour that might suggest a sense of proportion has been kept.

Even Waltzing Matilda becomes a war cry.

These nationalists are obsessed with icons. Do not touch our women, or our beaches, but especially do not touch our surf-lifesavers. Do not claim a God-given right to be at the World Cup; we are, after all, the sporting centre of the universe.

It might be coincidence that the riots in Cronulla followed so soon after the World Cup qualifier, but it might not.

Like other countries in other times, Australia idealises itself through sport. Like other countries in other times, Australia is swaggering about just now, thrusting itself in the world's face, full of sporting braggadocio. Australians are flying the flag for Australia.

Perhaps this climate explains, but does not excuse, yesterday's revelation about a swimming coach in charge of Commonwealth Games hopefuls who, as part of a so-called boot camp, subjected the swimmers to mock executions. Some of them were only 16. The pictures were graphic.

Two issues arise. The first is about how someone in a position of responsibility could be so insular, so blind. Terrorism is still on the agenda, execution was until last week. Even if a coach still thought "bang, bang, you're dead" was a reasonable teaching method, he might have backed off just now. But sport often is its own self-contained world, oblivious to any other.

The second question is about the worth of a boot camp. It might be fine for an army, but is surely a nonsense for amateur swimmers training for a minor carnival.

If it is about team bonding, it is poppycock. Even football teams, once beloved of ritual humiliation, go about their business in more sophisticated ways now.

Perhaps the theory of boot camp is that by such rigour we will build a super race. But will we distinguish between super race and superior race? Others in other times did not. I don't know the answer to Cronulla. But I do think that sport should be more alert to being hijacked to nationalism's cause. Possibly, we are claiming more than our due any way.

Qualifying for the World Cup was a wonderful boost to morale, but it is by its own definition a qualified achievement. Nothing has been won yet. In the meantime, do not dare to suggest that there was a fortuitous element to the win, or they will come with their anthem and their flags and their howling.

Last month, I was taken to task by readers for suggesting Australia's victory over Uruguay was diminished by the boorishness of the Sydney crowd in booing throughout the visitors' national anthem.

Did I not see, I was repeatedly asked, how Australians of all ethnic backgrounds rejoiced and were at one that night? Did I not see the unification of a nation in sport? I did. I also see now how shallow it was, and how short-lived.

What a fuckhead. Add this Greg Baum to the list of wankers, next to Paul Kent and Peter Fitzsimons.

nedzelic

HSC
bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
Im not quoting myself coz I have an ego, but coz Im correcting myself. Apparently us wogball lovers are the cause of it all. Again.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/socce...is-a-real-worry/2005/12/13/1134236065324.html

Nationalism hijacking sport is a real worry
By Greg Baum
December 14, 2005

Flying the flag sometimes lowers the colours, especially when joined by anthems of anger.

ONE month, Australians mass with their flags and their anthem at Stadium Australia and howl at those who are not like us. The next, a few kilometres away at Cronulla, Australians mass with their flags and their anthems and howl at those who are not like us. The comparison is unavoidable and disturbing.

Australians in this mood echo to strains of other places and other times. They place outsized store by symbols of their nationhood.

They do not just wave flags, but brandish them. They do not simply sing the anthem, but chant it, and drown out any other with booing. Nowhere is there the suggestion of humour that might suggest a sense of proportion has been kept.

Even Waltzing Matilda becomes a war cry.

These nationalists are obsessed with icons. Do not touch our women, or our beaches, but especially do not touch our surf-lifesavers. Do not claim a God-given right to be at the World Cup; we are, after all, the sporting centre of the universe.

It might be coincidence that the riots in Cronulla followed so soon after the World Cup qualifier, but it might not.

Like other countries in other times, Australia idealises itself through sport. Like other countries in other times, Australia is swaggering about just now, thrusting itself in the world's face, full of sporting braggadocio. Australians are flying the flag for Australia.

Perhaps this climate explains, but does not excuse, yesterday's revelation about a swimming coach in charge of Commonwealth Games hopefuls who, as part of a so-called boot camp, subjected the swimmers to mock executions. Some of them were only 16. The pictures were graphic.

Two issues arise. The first is about how someone in a position of responsibility could be so insular, so blind. Terrorism is still on the agenda, execution was until last week. Even if a coach still thought "bang, bang, you're dead" was a reasonable teaching method, he might have backed off just now. But sport often is its own self-contained world, oblivious to any other.

The second question is about the worth of a boot camp. It might be fine for an army, but is surely a nonsense for amateur swimmers training for a minor carnival.

If it is about team bonding, it is poppycock. Even football teams, once beloved of ritual humiliation, go about their business in more sophisticated ways now.

Perhaps the theory of boot camp is that by such rigour we will build a super race. But will we distinguish between super race and superior race? Others in other times did not. I don't know the answer to Cronulla. But I do think that sport should be more alert to being hijacked to nationalism's cause. Possibly, we are claiming more than our due any way.

Qualifying for the World Cup was a wonderful boost to morale, but it is by its own definition a qualified achievement. Nothing has been won yet. In the meantime, do not dare to suggest that there was a fortuitous element to the win, or they will come with their anthem and their flags and their howling.

Last month, I was taken to task by readers for suggesting Australia's victory over Uruguay was diminished by the boorishness of the Sydney crowd in booing throughout the visitors' national anthem.

Did I not see, I was repeatedly asked, how Australians of all ethnic backgrounds rejoiced and were at one that night? Did I not see the unification of a nation in sport? I did. I also see now how shallow it was, and how short-lived.

What a fuckhead. Add this Greg Baum to the list of wankers, next to Paul Kent and Peter Fitzsimons.

yeah simon hill mentioned this in his larticle this week - what a dumb fuck

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
lol, that guy has no fucking idea what he's talking about, abit of a laugh really ...
I liked that article les murray wrote a few weeks ago, it was posted here, Baum should read as well as all the other dickheads who have an opinion in something they know fuck all about ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)