• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The Official Football Thread 2005/2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Essien is a box to box player like Gerrard, Lampard is not. I wouldn't say Joe Cole or Gudjohnsen are 'integral' to breaking up play. They're about as integral to breaking up play as Garcia or Cisse are for Liverpool. Yes, they'll tackle aggressively, but no more so than any other player on the pitch. Chelsea and Liverpool players do this simply because of the team ethic instilled in both teams by the manager. Once upon a time, Lampard was more of an all round midfielder like Gerrard. These days he is not.

As for seeing football through red tinted lenses.. I don't really see how that's relevant. We're not discussing which player is better, we're discussing which player does what.

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
Come on, ned, how can you not know that Bennys a scouser? :D

And dont pin Bombscares stuffups here, Ive put up with a lot more of them than Id like to remember.

Celtic now seven in front, I just wish that last night I didnt go to bed at half time.

And Gerrards a better defender than Lampard. I agree with whoever said that AM and CM division was all messed up.

nedzelic

HSC
bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
Celtic now seven in front, I just wish that last night I didnt go to bed at half time.
now fuck me, where do watch/listen to this stuff - Celtic TV or soemthing?

i must say the one thing i liked about that game - from eeading match reports - was that scottish plsyers figured heavily

good stuff for escocia!

nedzelic

HSC
Benny_ said:
As for seeing football through red tinted lenses.. I don't really see how that's relevant. We're not discussing which player is better, we're discussing which player does what.
are you a red as well? fuck me, i feel so dirty being surrounded by all these scousers. (joke by the wzay donm't take it personally, neither of you have probably even been to liverpool anyway)

well half the argument is about whether gerrarc is better at defending than lampard. and part of what i'm saying is that as cheslea's team and lampard's role within that team, calls on him to defend more, and therefore it is somewhat difficult to argue who is better at 'defending'. anyway, defending is such a braod term, that could include picking up midfield runs into the box, slide-tackling, tackling, closing down in midfield, squeezing from the front, pressuring certian areas, staying central, not getting dragged out wide, sitting in or advancing when needed.....you know there's a lot to it and os let's agree to disagree as this argument is going no where

por la paz colegas

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
nedzelic said:
now fuck me, where do watch/listen to this stuff - Celtic TV or soemthing?

i must say the one thing i liked about that game - from eeading match reports - was that scottish plsyers figured heavily

good stuff for escocia!
Shaun was on fire by the sounds of it. And Celtic TV is the go, ive subscribed to it since espn shunned it. If anyone knows where I can watch it free, it would be appreciated, i have plenty of expenses to cut down on.

RyddeckerSMP

Go The Knights!
HSC
Obviously Smitty is a better dm than gerard..... There's no point having a Gerard/Lampard battle...... Smitty is quite obviously so much better than the pair of them :)

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
RyddeckerSMP said:
Obviously Smitty is a better dm than gerard..... There's no point having a Gerard/Lampard battle...... Smitty is quite obviously so much better than the pair of them :)
Yeah hez been better since he got the hair cut. :)

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
Smith? lol.

Hey, LMF, didnt you mention that you had a soft spot for Heerenveen? Are you Dutch? Itd be great if this thread had some other European leagues talked about a bit more. I wish fox would lift their act and show more football, perhaps instead of having a channel that shows unimportant AFL matches from seven seasons ago 24/7. Id love to watch more german and dutch football.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Hectic and Jimmy are dutch. LMF is Chinese I think.

The Bundesliga has the single most hilarious sounding name out of all the European leagues

Oh and Essien has had his ankle snapped against West Ham. What goes around comes around bitch

Last edited:

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
Smith? lol.

Hey, LMF, didnt you mention that you had a soft spot for Heerenveen? Are you Dutch? Itd be great if this thread had some other European leagues talked about a bit more. I wish fox would lift their act and show more football, perhaps instead of having a channel that shows unimportant AFL matches from seven seasons ago 24/7. Id love to watch more german and dutch football.
I'm Chinese, and yeah I do love Heerenveen also. If Man Utd didn't exist that would be the club that I support.

Wit broadband internet and streamin programz nowadayz, you can watch a lot of European leaguez. From the streamin programz I have, you can watch the big 4, and then there are the SPL, French Ligue 1 and Dutch Eredivisie. It'll be great to watch everythin but I just don't have the will power, not to mention that I do have a download limit.

Smith to own Gilberto in the big one. :)

Oh and the Austrian league iz also called the Bundisliga.

Jimmy_B

HSC
wow, tommorow nights game, i wonder which team i hate the most?

i'm leaning towards supporting manyoo, seeing as though arsenal winning their game in hand puts them only one point behind us.

oh well, hope it's another dirty hackathon like previous season. should be fun to watch.

and benny's right, i am part dutch.i still hate dennis bergkamp for some reason though.....

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I'm leaning towards supporting Arsenal, seeing as how they're already out of the title race, and probably the race for 2nd as well. But who knows, maybe they'll do a Liverpool and win the CL while coming 5th.

Jimmy_B

HSC
i think the gooners are due to go on a pretty good run sometime this season. i'm just hoping it happens too late in the season for them to get into the top 4 at spurs expense.

a home loss tommorow night would set them back a few weeks based on how theyve handled losing big games over the past few seasons.

liverpool shouldnt get too comfortable either. with all the games they've already played this season the chances of them running out of steam are pretty decent. hopefully their purple patch ends soon as well.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Seeing as how we're playing you guys in a couple of weeks you mean? You're right though, Liverpool do have a pretty tough run coming up, starting tonight away to Bolton..

Jimmy_B

HSC
yep, we'd love to catch you guys on a down rather than the roll you're on now. hopefully defoe, carrick, king and davids stay fit as they're all in good form. if that happens i can see us getting something from anfield.

also more news for tommorows game:

"Freddie Ljungberg and Robin van Persie are both ruled out of Arsenal’s side ahead of tomorrow night’s clash against Manchester United at Highbury.

Ljungberg has a virus, while van Persie sustained another kick at Aston Villa on the same knee injury that had previously sidelined him.

Gilberto Silva is nevertheless hoping to return from a groin injury that sidelined him at Villa Park, while Ashley Cole and Gael Clichy are long-term absentees.

Team (from): Lehmann, Almunia, Lauren, Eboue, Cygan, Campbell, Toure, Senderos, Gilberto, Flamini, Fabregas, Song, Pires, Hleb, Reyes, Henry, Bergkamp"

gawd that looks a thin squad for them tommorow night.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
You've gotta admit the Gunners have had some pretty tough luck with injuries this season. Imagine Chelsea with no Terry, Gallas, Essien, Makelele and Drogba for extended periods. They'd drop plenty more points for certain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)