• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official Football Thread 2006/2007 (1 Viewer)

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
yea it is a real shame for becks, still imo one of the top midfielders around, hell he was one of englands best at the world cup. best passer of the game,set pieces, and has incredible stamina. its a real shame no bigger clubs wanted him, id take him back at united in a second..

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
haha. but would we pay that much for beckham? don't think so.

bloody americanes

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Isnt he getting paid $A1.2 million a week to play for the LA Galaxy? I would love to see him play in the Premier League again, but I think his professional career is over :rofl: He's playing for the money now

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Can Beckham repeat the impact that Pele had on US soccer..? From the sort of money that they're investing in him I'm pretty sure that's what they're trying to do. With the way of American thinking, I'm sure Beckham will be able to draw crowds due to his high celebrity status. It may be good for the game, I certainly hope it does.

Will McLaren pick a Beckham who isn't playing in one of the leading leagues in the world...? Hm...

Rainbow Joanna

HSC
Well it make sense, Posh is such a shanky tart that Hollywood is something those 2 r desperate to break into. LA is not only perfect for them, but Beckham himself not being the most mundane of all people, would also have many avenues 2 explore after football. His coaching academy has a base in Cali, acting is something he can get into. Victoria with her voice would probably need all the media attention there is, if she is 2 get a career happening. Well you get the picture and yeah obviously the moneyz not bad either. So, I think entertainment wins at the end. Pity it isnt football!

BlackDragon

HSC
What a surprise. David Beckham selling out to the US. Guh, I hate what the US does to sport - Its all so commercial, individualised, and money based. Where as in Europe and Australia it is about celebrating the game and the amazing people who play it.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
BlackDragon said:
What a surprise. David Beckham selling out to the US. Guh, I hate what the US does to sport - Its all so commercial, individualised, and money based. Where as in Europe and Australia it is about celebrating the game and the amazing people who play it.
In other unrelated news.... numerous players sign astronomical wage contracts to play for teams which paid massive transfer fees for their services.

I can't believe the LA Galaxy paid so much for a player, next thing Chelski and Real Madrid will be spending shiteloads for players to wear their skirt on the field.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Beckham only signed for the money, and the fact that he'd play better with less competitve teams in the US :p

*Minka*

HSC
And because he is pussy whipped and Victoria wants to be famous in America too.

D

Dr. Futebol

BlackDragon said:
Absolutely true, could not have said it better myself. Sports in america are a joke.
Just imagine if, God forbid, Beckham is successful in making americans care about football(not soccer u yanks), football will become americanised and will never be the same. Timeouts, unlimited subs, commercials every 10 minutes. Thats what will happen. Thanks becks.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Dr. Futebol said:
Absolutely true, could not have said it better myself. Sports in america are a joke.
Just imagine if, God forbid, Beckham is successful in making americans care about football(not soccer u yanks), football will become americanised and will never be the same. Timeouts, unlimited subs, commercials every 10 minutes. Thats what will happen. Thanks becks.
That's a bit too sceptical don't you think...? The world's greatest has played in the US before, namely Pele and Beckenbauer, and do we have timeouts and commercial breaks now...? Beckham is there as a celebrity and a promotional tool, that's what they're paying for. If Americans can be truly won over by this sport, then they won't change the game that everyone loves.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Dr. Futebol said:
You're an idiot. :uhhuh:

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Dr. Futebol said:
LOL. You're joking, right? There is no way possible that Beckham's move could single-handedly have such devastating consequences for the game.

In the last couple of pages of this thread I have noticed alot of unjustified criticism of Beckham's move to LA Galaxy. Yes, they offered him a huge sum of money to play over there...but that hardly proves that his decision was based primarily on money. His/ his wife's careers in entertainment may also have been a consideration...but I believe that Beckham had many reasons, both financial and football-based to justify such a move;

Firstly, he only wanted to stay in Europe if he could a) gain a new contract with Madrid and hold down a regular place in the starting XI or b) return to Man United. Beckham only started a few games for Madrid this season...so it was unlikely that he would be granted a regular starting position in the side if he signed a new contract. A move back to United was even more unlikely (even though Becks is still a pretty handy player) because there was no chance of Fergie spending so much on a player of his age... and we already have arguably the best player in the world (on current form) playing in his position (Cristiano Ronaldo).

Beckham is also no longer in the England side and is out of favour with coach Steve McClaren. He isn't getting any younger and is resigned to the fact that he will never play for England again. His move to such a smaller league is evidence of this. Given all of the above, I believe that his move makes good footballing sense. Beckham has been talking about playing in the USA for quite some time now and imo would have moved over there even if he wasnt offered such a huge sum. This ridiculous amount offered only acted as a further inducement and in any case he would have been crazy not to accept such a lucrative contract in the twighlight if his career.

Last edited:

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Man United are 2-0 ahead after only 12 minutes thanks to Park Ji Sung and Michael Carrick :D. Congrats to Carrick on his first goal for United!

Chelsea also take an early lead against Wigan through Lampard :/

edit: Ronaldo scores to make it United 3-0 Villa before half-time. Ronaldo now has 13 premiership goals...making him the equal top scorer with Drogba. Ronaldo has also won the player of the month award in consecutive months now and must surely be favourite for player of the year.

Anyway, I can't stay up any longer...so when I wake up I hope to see that United have put a few more past Villa without conceding and that Wigan score an equaliser against Chelsea :D.

Last edited:

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
yup good win for united, 3-1, damn u chelski winnin 4-0.

and i agree with matt, there has been some very unjustified critiscism of becks, i dont understand it firstly he wantd to remain with madrid but when that wasnt an option had to think about his career, and his family. btw it isnt his fault when a club wants to pay him that much, who here would say no to that?

Also i think many of u are forgetting how good of a player he is, and are looking into his private life as opposed to his footballing skills. best passer of a ball, and the best crosser of a football ever imo, hell i tried to mimick his crossing skills as a kid. its like warne, dont look at his personal life to rate him, look at what he has done on the field..becks 5 epl titles, 1 ecl, many fa cups, etc..what more does he have to do? also single handedly qualified england for world cup in 2002..honestly i think pplhave an agenda and are jelous of how much he has achieved.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
What do you guys think about those rumours that Mourinho is leaving Chelski for Real Madrid?

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Beckham has been a victim of the current Capello and McLaren regime, who I think just don't like Beckham as a player. Over the course of the past few seasons at Real, and during England's run at the World Cup, whenever he was on the field he was always giving his best, and it usually showed in his performance as well. If it wasn't for Beckham, would England even make the quarters...? I think probably not.

The thing to remember is that Beckham is not only a football player, but also a football icon. The type of money being paid to him isn't for him to just play 90mins on the field every week, but also for marketing and merchandising purposes as well. He could've chose Milan to play his football, but decided it was a time to get away from the pressures of European football. Fair enough, he's got a family to think about.

Figo's gone to Al Ittihad, is he going there for money or what...? I don't see anyone saying anything about that one.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Kujah said:
What do you guys think about those rumours that Mourinho is leaving Chelski for Real Madrid?
Mourninho has always stated that he intends to become a manager of a club in Serie A if he ever leaves Chelsea...so I was somewhat surprised to read about such stories linking him with a move to Madrid. Real Madrid, however, would probably suit his big-spending style.

When asked questions on this subject, Mourinho simply says that his future "is not important". His refusal to deny such rumours could be a sign that he intends to move...but I don't really think that he has made his mind up at this stage. He still has much unfinished business with Chelsea in the Champions League and personally I think that the English game would miss such a character (even despite the fact that his antics piss me off much of the time:) ).

Chelsea FC

HSC
N/A
I really dont want Mourinho to go. For me he is a large part of the Premiership, and the spirit of the league.

Under current circumstances, considering how injury-hit Chelsea are, they are still doing very well. Yet, due to high expectations they are recieving negative press. Thats just my opinion.

Ive also been very impressed this season with the lack of diving and "gamesmanship" that Chelsea have been previously accused of (and correctly so).

Keep going Chelsea, and Mourinho, please dont go.:confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)