The Official French Film/SBS Movie Thread (1 Viewer)

malkin86

HSC
Audrey Tatou (Amelie) is going to play the female lead in The Da Vinci Code (the movie)... does this disturb anyone else? I mean, it's probably an interesting role and all, but I have moral issues with the book.

chepas

HSC
Really? That would be really odd I reckon, hearing her speak English!
(And oh dear, this monster is going to be a movie!. Having never read it though... everyone else that is alive and that I know has though...)

Good news.

www.dendy.com.au said:
Look At Me / Comme une image(PG) 111 mins
SNEAK PREVIEWS THIS WEEKEND AT KINO DENDY CINEMAS!
Opens March 24th at Dendy Newtown, Opera Quays
French with English subtitles

LOOK AT ME is a bittersweet comedy that tells the story of Lolita Cassard an unhappy 20 year-old, angry at the whole world because she's not slim like a model nor like her stepmother, and desperate for her father's recognition. But Etienne Cassard, a writer and editor, is so egocentric he barely notices anyone else. It is also the story of Pierre Miller, a writer whose self-confidence is lacking until he meets Etienne Cassard, and that of his wife, Sylvia, a singing teacher who believes in Pierre's talent but doubts her own and that of her pupil until she realises just who Lolita's celebrated father is.

"One of the most sophisticated movies of the year."
Adrian Hennigan, BBCi FILMS
Hurrah! GO AND SEE IT!

chepas

HSC
Good news for those who are under 18 and still wanting to go to the French Film Festival.

"The Giraffe's Neck" is having a repeat showing at the Palace Academy Twin Cinema, 2a Oxford St, Paddington on Wednesday 23 March. This is one by popular demand so I encourage you all to go and see it (it was on my personal lists of 'I wish I could's :D).

More info, click here.

malkin86

HSC
Hourrah! SBS est super! :D

Tonight, 1:30 am:

01:30 am MOVIE - DRAMA - TELL ME I'M DREAMING (DIS-MOI QUE JE REVE)
Julien lives with his parents, brother and sister (Yannick and Marion respectively) on a farm in the Rhone-Alpes region of France. By his peers he's considered retarded but in his home he's seen as a dreamer who spends a lot of time with his favourite cow, Julienne, and daydreams about kissing girls. When Julien falls in love with his brother Yannick's girlfriend, the Ducret family is thrown into crisis and as a result, the grandmother lets a family secret slip that will change the course of their lives forever. Despite dealing with sensitive issues, this film avoids sentimentality and traverses delicate issues such as the acceptance of 'problem' children and exploring the place of mental and physical retardation in so-called 'normal' society. Interestingly the only professional actors in the cast are the Mr and Mrs Ducret, Luc and Jeanne (Frederic Pierrot and Muriel Mayette), and they are impressively supported by the rest of the cast, notably Vincent Deneriaz as Julien. Written and directed by Claude Mourieras, Tell Me I'm Dreaming won the prestigious Prix Jean Vigo in 1998. (In French, English subtitles) (1998) M (L,A) (Rpt) WS
Alert Code: 3993
Tomorrow, 12:20 am:
[SIZE=4 MOVIE - DRAMA - EAST WEST (EST-OUEST) [/SIZE]
In 1946, Stalin offered amnesty to all Russian exiles living in the West, a Russian passport as well as the chance to participate in the post-war reconstruction of the USSR. Many decided to return to their motherland, among them Alexei Golovine, a doctor, his French wife Marie and their seven-year-old son Serioja. But their hopes of a new life in Russia are soon crushed as their ship docks in Odessa. Almost everyone on board is either killed or deported. Alexei and his family are allowed to live because his medical skills are needed. While Alexei seemingly adapts to circumstances, Marie plots her escape. Directed by Regis Wargnier and stars Oleg Menchikov, Sandrine Bonnaire, Catherine Deneuve and Serguei Bodrov Jr. (From France, in Russian and French, English subtitles) (1999) M (V,A) (Rpt) WS
Alert Code: 4020

malkin86

HSC
SBS said:
Friday 1st April
11:30 pm MOVIE - DRAMA - THE SHIELD (LA CUIRASSE)
Written and directed by (as well as starring) Frédéric Provost, this film focuses on Chris (Provost) a former bank robber trying to play it straight. Margot (Nathalie Jeanselle), one of Chris' ex-girlfriends, arrives at his house. She is frightened and appears to be on the run from something or someone, and she asks to stay the night. The next day, a couple of thugs turn up looking for her, but when they don't find her, they leave Chris battered and bruised. It turns out that Margot is now the mistress of a gangster, Matthias (Jean-Pierre Andreani), with whom she has a son. She is desperate to get out of the crime underworld and is on the run with her son. Chris understands her plight, as he is trying to escape the same world, so the three of them flee to the south of France, but unbeknownst to them, Matthias and some of his gang follow them. (In French, English subtitles) (2002) MAV (V,L,A) WS
ooh.. thrilling stuff here.

lalaurenisme

HSC
French films I've enjoyed:
Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain
I am in love with every aspect of this film. I taped it off SBS, and have watched it countless times. Ditto with the soundtrack. La Valse d'Amélie (orchestral version) is one of my favourite pieces of music ever.

Les filles savent pas nager (Girls Can't Swim)
A beautiful arthouse drama about two young girls in Brittany trying to sustain their childhood friendship despite the fact that they becoming two striking different adults. It had particular resonance with me as I stayed in Brittany on student exchange in 2003, so I recognised the landscape and the consistently miserable weather, heh heh.

Le Placard (The Closet)
Tight bum. Pigeon. The condom factory. The pride parade. Daniel Auteuil. Need I say more?

Au revoir les enfants
A moving account of Jewish persecution in France during WW2.

Tanguy
Some people have called it lame, but I love it. It's grown on me. And I've developped a wee crush on the actor who plays the title character. Si mignon!

Etre et avoir
Jojo is such a darling! This film was very much in accordance with my belief in the honesty and beauty of children. And that teacher, wasn't he amazing?!

There are probably more that I just can't think of at this moment.

Oh, and on a kind of related tangent : who saw Kopps on SBS Easter Sunday? It was a Swedish comedy. Hilarious.

chepas

HSC
Oooh une victorienne!:D

De très bons choix - les films que tu as choisis!

Et, bienvenue! Comment ça va en Victoria?

lalaurenisme

HSC
frenchie said:
Yes! Le Fableux Déstin d'Amélie Poulain is absolute amazing. I have watched it countless times....and even got the script off the net simply to learn some more french. I truley work hard for my french nerdiness title.
tries to do to much for you?...see this.
Eeeee! Where did you get the French script? I've been searching everywhere, and all I've found is an English version. Could you please give me the link?

lalaurenisme

HSC
chepas said:
Oooh une victorienne!:D

De très bons choix - les films que tu as choisis!

Et, bienvenue! Comment ça va en Victoria?
Merci. J'ai encore un autre: Les Corps Impatients - c'est un film excellent, mais c'est vachement triste. Pas un bon choix si tu es déj* d'humeur triste.

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
Has anyone ever seen "Baracuda"?
I'm French and I don't usually like French movies much but "Baracuda" was an exception. I saw it a couple of years ago and I remember liking it.

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
I know! I watched it even though I own it on DVD. Still, it's fun to see the slight differences in translation between SBS and the DVD.

The gay parade float kills me everytime. :D

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
Has anyone watched "harry, he's here to help"? And if you have what's it like? I have it on tape out there but i have no idea when i will get the chance to watch it. If you all think its good....then i suppose i could make some time. Oh..and whats it called in French?

chepas

HSC
I haven't seen it, but according to imdb.com the French title is "Harry, un ami qui vous veut du bien". Here's a link to its summary thing. It lists it as a comedy thriller (!!!) so who knows what it's going to be like!

from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0216800/plotsummary
On a hot day in a highway gas station men's room, a man Michel doesn't recognize says they went to school together. He's Harry. He suggests they have a drink, so he and his girlfriend follow Michel and his family to their summer place. Michel is amazed when Harry quotes from memory a poem Michel wrote in school. Harry thinks Michel is a great writer, and he's distressed that Michel hasn't written in years. Harry stays awhile (since his father's death, he's a man of leisure) and sets out to eliminate distractions that might keep Michel from writing. First he buys Michel a car (with air conditioning) and then suspicious things happen. Michel picks up a pen, Harry is gratified, but he's not finished being Michel's self-appointed patron.
"A Common Thread", Brodeuses in French, is about to have its cinema release after being at the French Film Festival last March. While I really didn't like this movie - it was so slow and the ending was just pure crap - you might like to go and see it. Especially those doing "Marius et Jeannette" for extension - Ariane Ascaride (Jeannette) is in it.

t.

HSC
Sydney Film Festival 2005: beaucoup de films français!

36 Quai Des Orfèvres

Screening Time(s):
State Theatre - Saturday June 11 - 9:10pm
State Theatre - Thursday June 16 - 2:30pm
Country / Language
France. In French with English subtitles.

Demi-Tarif (screening as 'Half-Price')

Screening Time(s):
State Theatre - Thursday June 23 - 4:00pm
Feature / 63 minutes / Isild Le Besco
Country / Language

A tout de suite (screening as 'Right Now')

Screening Time(s):
Dendy Opera Quays - Saturday June 18 - 7:00pm
Dendy Opera Quays - Thursday June 23 - 8:30pm
Feature / 104 minutes / Benoit Jacquot
Country / Language

5 x 2

Screening Time(s):
State Theatre - Saturday June 18 - 4:45pm
State Theatre - Monday June 20 - 11:45am
Feature / 90 minutes / François Ozon
Country / Language

Innocence

Screening Time(s):
State Theatre - Wednesday June 22 - 2:25pm
State Theatre - Friday June 24 - 7:00pm
Feature / 115 minutes / Lucile Hadzihalilovic
Country / Language
France. In French with English subtitles

Je t'aime... moi non plus (Spain/France)

Screening Time(s):
State Theatre - Tuesday June 21 - 10:00am
State Theatre - Friday June 24 - 5:15pm
Feature / 81 minutes / Maria de Medeiros
Country / Language
France. In English and French with English subtitles.

etc..

See: http://www.afsydney.com.au/content/tabID__3436/Cinema.aspx for synopses, as well as www.sydneyfilmfestival.org for more info

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
OOooh!! They look really interesting!! 'Specially 36 Quai Des Orfèvres, Demi-Tarif et Innocence.

Fabulous. Thanks for letting us know!!

chepas

HSC
Wow t. thanks for that ;). That's mad.

Though for me they don't wield much. Nothing funny! I want to laugh hehe. Not all the tearful French dramae :D.

jonojet

Significant Other
HSC
La ville est tranquille

Hey, I'm not sure cause I haven't checked, is this movie already here? For those of you who did Marius et Jeannette for Extension (like i did unfortunately), then another film by Robert Guédiguian probably sounds worse than 4 unit maths (which i was also unfortunate enough to do). But this one isn't as lame as M+J - this one is kind of, shocking in a really depressing way, but humourous at the same time, as it traces the lives of these really different, random people and how their lives bump into each others'.

By the way, in answer to question, I'm doing French at Sydney Uni, loving it. Everything's in French - lectures, tutorials, reading guides. We're going to start studying Albert Camus' l'Etranger next semester. Heaps better than M+J.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)