The 'perfect' soldier? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Given Australia's current military involvement and the existence of previous threads such as 'Is war ever justified?', I thought I'd pose a question to you guys sparked by an article in New Scientist. It was talking about the US' investment in technology which would basically make better soldiers. The technology included stuff like sensing a soldier's level of stress within a given situation, better screening for those who enter the army in terms of the structure and chemical balance of their brains...and most worrying (imo), the deactivation of the empathy response via certain drugs.

So, what do you guys think about this? Should we be using technology to make people better at killing each other? Or should we be attempting to use technology in other ways, such as improving people's diplomatic ability, providing better living standards in areas where kids becoming terrorists is common, etc?

What are your views on the cost, ethics, practicality, etc of creating the 'perfect' soldier?

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Most advances in broader areas of technology and science have come through the necessity that comes as a result of war and arms races. So research away.

niloony

HSC
I am yet to find a man who can outsmart bullet

Last edited:

Lukybear

HSC
why cant we just build nucs like normal people? then soldiers become redudant.

Armagedon here we Come!

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
They just need to build HEV suits already.
Need to spread Rep.

We need nanosuits.
See bottom.

I am yet to find a man who can outsmart bullet

pretty sure thats the dude from MGS.

also, crysis' nanosuits. Kinda possible i think, maybe.

Interesting Fact, The Crytek armour was based of the American Future Warrior program. Future Force Warrior - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The main problem with "exo suits" is the power needs. Unless we strap a mini nuclear reactor to his back, no one is going anywhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)