The Sydney Conservatorium Students Thread (1 Viewer)

Nicci_15

HSC
Uni Grad
Im doing alright. Are you coming to see the SYO performance of La Mer next week?

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
ooh, im going to see La Mer- support the old orchestra -cough-
you should all come see the Con symphony though -cough- tee hee shall be... Erm..... Fun.. yes, thats it.. FUn!!!

Oh hey Moon ^.^
Hows all the stuff away from the con eh. lol

Nicci_15

HSC
Uni Grad
I'll see you at La Mer. I'm in the orchestra. I play violin.

Nicci_15

HSC
Uni Grad
it's pretty good, but Tom's leaving. La Mer will be his last performance.

Nicci_15

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey. Did you go on the weekend? I also saw the con symphony. They were heaps good. Can't wait till I go to the Con.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC

I'm thinking like.... you should all go that and then get drunk somewhere in the city yah.

bahodl

Currently wearing pants
HSC
I was thinking about doin composition at the con. Anyway instead im just doin music in my degree at Uni - - so pissed off i missed the concert.

what a pointless post...

Nicci_15

HSC
Uni Grad
Bunny04 said:
Tom as in Tom Woods? dude thats weird.
Meh..
Yeah, i know SYO has always been kinda good- i was in it two years ago, but quit for SBS and then back to SYO in 06 (i think)
Did you audition for SYO? If how did it go?

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
HSC
Meh i decided against filling out that audition form..
and went back to this state of mind: "I Left SYO a year and a bit ago... WHy? - well why the hell am i going to go back.. - so you see...
Rejoining.. meh..
I'm still in Sbs though. -cough-

chepas

HSC
I originally posted this in the USyd forum, but it seems this is really the place to ask.

Originally Posted by Phanatical in this thread
As of 2005, the Conservatorium now includes what was the Department of Music in the Faculty of Arts - the Seymour Centre is now part of the Conservatorium, and therefore there is a much larger number of students who are now technically Conservatorium students.
Yay that's a nice bit of automatic prestige for us serfs at the Seymour Centre :p.

I'm interested in doing some of the Con units for my music major. In the music dept office at Seymour they have a list of Con units that Arts faculty students could do. But it was clearly marked that there are some very big 'buts':

* Units of study are 3 cpts only (not the "main campus" 6. Not so bad, get to do more music units that way!).
* Need permission of the instructor (how likely are they to say yes or no to main campus music students?).
* Placement tests needed for some units
* Audition required for some units.

And now the questions:

I'm interested in doing the ENSE1015 - Choir and then the ENSE1002 - Choral Ensemble next year, and those are part of the units that need audition. That said, I have no idea who to contact, which choir it would be for, and if there were an audition, what it would entail! Does anyone know what would be the answers to these three things? .

I have found the audition requirements for Vocal principal study/minor, but that is for the whole degree, not for just one unit. For the minor you need to prepare 4 contrasting pieces and then they will ask for two :)S).

Also really liking the sounds of the Jazz History units, the MCGY Music History ones - heck the whole list is sweeeet :D.

So to sum up:

- Is there anyone here that is in (one of) the Con choir(s)? What is it? Who runs it? How can we contact them? What's the choir like? Auditions? Etc...

- I know of Con students that do 'our' music units, but is it easily achieved the other way around where main campus music students can go to do Con units? With the 'permission of the instructor', is it likely they'll admit us?

oh, and

- The Con timetables. Are they usually only released pretty soon to the start of semester, not on the central timetable unit like the main campus

Many many cheers for your help!
chepas :D.

Last edited:

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
HSC
for MCGY music Historys they are quite easy.. Just require a fair bit of memory work and study. Just wrote learning i guess. You have to do a tutorial presentation, plus a 3 hour exam.

Con timetables. Officially we don't get one.

We kinda have to work it out ourselves from a large *all years* timetable.. its a genral one, and you work your tutes and things around the set timetable for everyone. -nodnod- which are usually posted on the con website by first week of semester.

The con choirs - to contact, i'd suggest just asking the Administration people about that all- in the greenway building of the Con- Level 4
and I do know of one person from main campus doing major level Con stuff, so yes.. I suppose you'd be allowed, although she had to audition.

So basically anyone doing minor level, or major level voice can go into the choirs.. but not everyone has to... I play cello, and i'd be allowed..
So i doubt there would be an audition. hmm.. Jsut ask the admin people.

bahodl

Currently wearing pants
HSC
hey chepas - winsome evans' concepts of music class this semester? It's good to know I'm technically a Con student as well now :), and yeah some Con units would be fantastic if it was feasible...

chepas

HSC
Bunny04 said:
for MCGY music Historys they are quite easy.. Just require a fair bit of memory work and study. Just wrote learning i guess. You have to do a tutorial presentation, plus a 3 hour exam.

Con timetables. Officially we don't get one.

We kinda have to work it out ourselves from a large *all years* timetable.. its a genral one, and you work your tutes and things around the set timetable for everyone. -nodnod- which are usually posted on the con website by first week of semester.

The con choirs - to contact, i'd suggest just asking the Administration people about that all- in the greenway building of the Con- Level 4
and I do know of one person from main campus doing major level Con stuff, so yes.. I suppose you'd be allowed, although she had to audition.
Ah thanks! That makes me feel a bit better. Yeah I'd found the Semester One timetable thing and it's like this huge flow chart with every single unit on it... :S

The Greenway Building - is that that main building that you walk into from Elizabeth St? I can get to the library, but beyond that..! I think I walked up to some sort of administration thing, but it looked all shut (well, whatever the signs said was some sort of administration thing...), and walked past a window/vestibule had a pile of people that looked like they were handing in assignments. All this past that glass door that has "No Public Access" on it.

Interesting re: choirs. So is it basically the default ensemble they everyone does if they aren't doing any other sort of performance thing?

bahodl said:
hey chepas - winsome evans' concepts of music class this semester? It's good to know I'm technically a Con student as well now , and yeah some Con units would be fantastic if it was feasible...
!!! Rohan? It has to be cos in your profile it says you work at Gelatissimo. Yes 1501 Concepts :p. Yeah I went to pre-enrol in the Arts Music Ensemble unit cos I needed dept permission and Adrienne in the music office goes "You might as well research doing some units at the Con" and there's this blue sheet with quite a few ones on it.

You still doing Advanced Concepts with her next year?

Last edited:

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
HSC
ahh, thats student admin (the 2nd level down those stairs). No, you want to go to the Genral admin, which is near the front main entrance of the con on Macquarie street hehehe.. I don't think we have a campus on elizabeth :p
Uhh.. The greenway is just that castle looking bit at the front of the con, with all the turretts and so on.- you'll see the cafe and hten you walk in and turn left at the first doorway thingo- it s the Vebrughen Hall- then you go up the stairs, wind right around and theres another Genral admin office. There is the person you can talk to about all this stuff.

Yeah, it is a ensemble that anyone can go into. If you are doing a performance subject in say anything but piano and voice , you are genrally in Orchestral studies, which is on the same time as choir and so on... So hmm.. yeah i guess so..

But hey, i suppose your better off asking some real admin people rather than a first year :p heheh.

chepas

HSC
Bah sorry my bad, I know what I meant :p... well, Elizabeth at least runs in the same direction!

Cool. I might go tomorrow, that is if there would be people there? I suppose there would be.

Cheers again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)