The Tech Support Chronicles (1 Viewer)

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Hey, this is a thread for those who have amusing stories about dealing with a tech support (or customer support) service, or those who need to vent their frustration at these services.

We all know that these services can be extreamly painful to deal with.

Right now I am contacting HP about a problem that I cannot solve and is illogical to even be occuring. I shall report if anything interesting happens. As of late, I have just recieved a generic resopnce that I have already read on their website.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Who else thinks people at the support lines are thick?

Numerous times have I told this HP that I have a non-standard DVD-ROM drive installed into my Laptop and do not own the original CD-ROM drive. All e-mails have been responded to, none have really helped.

Today I recieved another e-mail and found this passage particularly amusing:
"Liam, please be informed that the DVD drive will not get detected by the CD Drive you have in your unit..." -- Take note the highlighted mistake... I think they meant disk.
"...The CD Drive can detect only a CD and not a DVD. Please use a CD and check for the occurrence of the issue." -- ... Did I not tell you three times that I have a non-standard DVD drive inserted into the Laptop? And that I am using an XP CD?

I just repeated myself... Again... Even more clearly this time.

Wonder if they will get the hint?

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Call customer service then. Again. Because no one else cares.

Wonder if you'll get the hint?

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
tallkid34 said:
Call customer service then. Again. Because no one else cares.

Wonder if you'll get the hint?
Lol. It's called e-mail...

And they did give me an idea to try and fix it.

Nice try.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
tallkid34 said:
Then problem solved.

End thread.
Lol, what is it with you smartarses?

It wasn't fixed, and today they offered to inspect my unit for free. Shows what having patience can bring you, doesn't it?

This thread is also for others who have tackled these support lines, so not "end thread".

:D

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I only responded because I felt sorry for you.

It's obvious you want people to respond to your thread because you've posted your issue twice but reality is, no one else really cares.

End thread (I won't be posting here again)

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
When my internet was down, i called Optus customer service.

Me: My internet is not working.
Optus: We have outages in your area.
Me: Ok Bye

Amusing..

sunny

meh.
HSC
Not exactly tech support, but similar...

I worked in a programming job about 2 years ago, but a certain library at a certain tertiary institute. They wanted some sort of issue tracking system custom-developed, but were resistant on taking on COTS solutions, or anything else I suggested really.

My supervisor, I believe had his areas of expertise, but was a bit weird - he would have some funny ideas about how things should be done. The classic example I remember was when I started on this system (which I had two weeks to make) the first thing I needed was some sort of version control.

Not having root access to the server, I asked my supervisor if he could install SVN. To my surprise, the reply was a flat out 'no'. From what he was saying I realised he had no idea what SVN even was. He realised it was some sort of version control and somewhere through the conversation he said 'just make a copy and add the timestamp to the filename'.

The conversation/argument went on for about 20 minutes, basically explaining to him what SVN was, and it outperforms CVS - hell he was even trying to poke holes at how SVN works ('what if someone has a lock on the file and somebody else makes changes?' <- didn't get the idea SVN can work without locks and asks 'what if two people make changes the a file at the same time?') with some of the staff now standing around and listening.

This guy had no clue, but didn't have the dignity to admit it. For someone in his position in his 40s/50s that was outright ridiculous/hilarious.

I finished up at that job not long after.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Who else thinks people at the support lines are thick?

Numerous times have I told this HP that I have a non-standard DVD-ROM drive installed into my Laptop and do not own the original CD-ROM drive. All e-mails have been responded to, none have really helped.

Today I recieved another e-mail and found this passage particularly amusing:
"Liam, please be informed that the DVD drive will not get detected by the CD Drive you have in your unit..." -- Take note the highlighted mistake... I think they meant disk.
"...The CD Drive can detect only a CD and not a DVD. Please use a CD and check for the occurrence of the issue." -- ... Did I not tell you three times that I have a non-standard DVD drive inserted into the Laptop? And that I am using an XP CD?

I just repeated myself... Again... Even more clearly this time.

Wonder if they will get the hint?
HP are a pack of useless cunts. I sent them an email asking them how I'd go about getting a refund for my defective laptop, waited over a month and received the following email back:

Thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard.

This is in response to your e-mail regarding the .

Hello Justin,

Thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard's e-Solutions Center.

I sincerely apologize for the delay in response. I certainly understand your situation and deeply regret the inconvenience caused.

I also truly appreciate your valuable time and continued patience. The delay was due to technical difficulties which are not rectified.

However, in case the issue still persists, please feel free to use our Chat Support and I would be more than glad to assist you further.

HP Support in Asia Pacific

Once again, thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard's Commercial Solutions Center and have a wonderful day.

Regards,

Noorjahan
Technical Support Engineer - PSG

‘Our aim is to deliver best in class customer service’
Do help share feedback with my manager (mail to: roshan.dsouza@hp.com)

Sincerely,

HP Email Support
It says absolutely nothing specific to my situation, and additionally the Chat support didn't work because it didn't like my serial number. Contacted the prick's manager and said he should get the sack.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I only responded because I felt sorry for you.

It's obvious you want people to respond to your thread because you've posted your issue twice but reality is, no one else really cares.

End thread (I won't be posting here again)
Lol, and good riddance. Seriously, I was just following on from what I had posted. I said I would write more and I did...

And, despite your efforts, there have been good posts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)