The "What are these units like?" thread for 2006 (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
CieL said:
omg! no wonder my timetable was loaded!

i thought i had to do stat170 AND stat171 hahhaha thanks for making me realise i only have to choose one..

whoa.. i didnt even understand the DEM127 PDF.. all i saw were the words calculate the death rate.. calculate the crude death of Koreans.. like wtf? lol

well.. i've done my timetable by hand on random paper.. now i look at the timetable paper they gave us.. and first semester only has 4 boxes to fill whereas i need 5 =.= dodgy
do you definitely need 5? you might be able to do one of the subjects next year.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Thought that Actuarials and Chiros were the only ones who had to overload :S

CieL

HSC
really? am i doing something wrong then..

cos i'm doing B BA/BA Psych.. and (according to my interpretation) i have to do a total of 96 CP and in the units list there's 10 fields which are marked as "required".. (so 10x3=30CP for 1st yr? 15/semester?)

so i chose

semester 1: BBA103, MKTG101, PSY104, STAT170, ACST101

semester 2: ACCG105, ISYS123, BBA102, BBA111, PSY105

or am i doing something wrong again............... =.=

cos it says "max number of creit points at 100 level..... 30"
then the minimum requirements are *list* 10x3CP units = 30

so i guess i dont have electives and the core is what.. *wait i'm confused*

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
CieL said:

cos i'm doing B BA/BA Psych.. and (according to my interpretation) i have to do a total of 96 CP and in the units list there's 10 fields which are marked as "required".. (so 10x3=30CP for 1st yr? 15/semester?)

so i chose

not even actuarial students overload in both semesters!!
You dont have to do all 100 level subjects in first year...u can do 100 level subjects whenever...just do 4 subjects each semester...the trick is to find the subjects above that aren't prerequisites for later subjects...im thinking acst101 and accg105 you can do in second year...

CieL

HSC
no?

i think i need Skittled here.. he did the same course

CieL

HSC
Supra said:
You dont have to do all 100 level subjects in first year...u can do 100 level subjects whenever...just do 4 subjects each semester...the trick is to find the subjects above that aren't prerequisites for later subjects...im thinking acst101 and accg105 you can do in second year...
oh.. i didnt know you could do that!

because the day i went to enrolment preparation the little woman.. some society of dean or whatever.. she couldnt even explain my course to me.. just said "i'm sure there'll be alot of ppl willing to help you out" then left me by myself with the stupid handbook which tends to contradict itself

okay.. so if i fulfill the "required" units by the end of my course i'll be fine? thanks alot!

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
CieL said:

so i chose

I'll respond on behalf of my Skittled.

Basically, Supra is correct - you dont have to do all of the BBA, ACCG, ACST and your decided comp unit all in first year. For example, Steve did ACST and ACCG in first year allong with Marketing and BBA102. In second year he did BBA103 and 111, and is doing his comp unit this year (third year).

Its a really flexible degree you have in regards to when you have to do certain things. You have to do psych units when they are allocated, and stats (because that coexists with psych) but your BBA units can be done whenever.

However, its probably best if you get those units you're not too sure of out of the way in first year because, if you dont do so well, you can blame it all on first year nerves! :D

CieL

HSC
MaryJane said:
For example, Steve did ACST and ACCG in first year allong with Marketing and BBA102. In second year he did BBA103 and 111, and is doing his comp unit this year (third year).
ACST, ACCG, MKTG, BBA102 in the first YEAR?

2/semester?

very confused

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
(sample)

First Year:

1st Semester: ACST101, MKTG 101, PSY104, STAT170
2nd Semester: ACCG105, BBA102, PSY105.

Second Year:
1st Semester: BBA103
2nd Semester: BBA111

Third Year:
1st Semester: ISYS123

(This is just the subjects listed as 1st year cores, and i don't know about 2/3/4th year cores but just to give you a way of seeing how it could be spread out :))

CieL

HSC
doesnt that mean i'll be at uni more than 4yrs if i spread it out like that?

like pushing 1st yr out.. then pushing 2nd yr out to 3/4th yr.. sorta thing?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Itd depend on which stream you choose to take i think, because, say ISYS123, you most likely wont be doing anything bar that single comp/isys unit, so its not like you need it from day 1.

BBA216 a core for 2nd year, just has a pre-req of being enrolled into the BBA program and 30 cp, which by 2nd semester/2nd year, you should have.

Additionally, 2nd year, you got something like 10 cores, plus options. So unless you're planning to complete those by overloading as well, there really isnt any point. And if you fail one subject, it wont be offered till next year, or through summer school, meaning more time or more money.

Its really up to you, but thats probably the reasoning behind spreading it out, since it is a double degree, and one which is highly structured.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
CieL said:
because the day i went to enrolment preparation the little woman.. some society of dean or whatever.. she couldnt even explain my course to me.. just said "i'm sure there'll be alot of ppl willing to help you out" then left me by myself with the stupid handbook which tends to contradict itself
There'll definetly be people around to help out on the enrolment day with this... we can't tell you what units to do (it's your responsibility to get that right), but we can help you understand how to work out what you've gotta do. As you've realised, correctly;
CieL said:
okay.. so if i fulfill the "required" units by the end of my course i'll be fine? thanks alot!
...just, in the process of meeting the 'required' units, make sure that you meet the prerequisites for when you plan to do them.

MaryJane said:
Basically, Supra is correct - you dont have to do all of the BBA, ACCG, ACST and your decided comp unit all in first year. For example, Steve did ACST and ACCG in first year allong with Marketing and BBA102. In second year he did BBA103 and 111, and is doing his comp unit this year (third year).
Ta darling ! ;) As MJ and others have said, you can do whatever whenever, as long as you meet the prereqs. In my first year I did BBA103, MKTG101, PSY104, STAT170 in my first semester, and PSY105...err.. and 3 others in my second! :eek:

...hope that clarifies a few anomolies!

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
hey u need to do all the required units first. ANd there is a maximum (recommended max) of 12 cp per semester. That means roughly 4 subjects per semester.
100 level simply means 1st year course , it does mean you have to do in the first year.

Like i have 10 compulsory 100 level courses, i will be doing 8 in the first year, 2 in the second year along with 200 level courses.

Basically you cant do 200 level course in the first year unless you meet their prerequsites.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
HotShot said:
hey u need to do all the required units first.
err...you can do electives any time you like. There's no set order as to when you do your required units or electives. The required units simply must be done before you can graduate with that degree.

HotShot said:
ANd there is a maximum (recommended max) of 12 cp per semester.
mm... I keep hearing this but I've never found an official line -- have you got this from somewhere specific (Not questioning, just curious)? There's an official maximum of 14cp/semester -- any more than this you need to get academic approval to show you're capable of taking more than that, so 4 units (roughly 12cp) is generally the largest number of units you can do without approval... which might be why eveyrone does it, which in turn may be why it's 'recommended'. That said, they seem to calculate the length of the degree based on 12cp/4units per semester, so obviously that's an implied recommendation...

HotShot said:
...Basically you cant do 200 level course in the first year unless you meet their prerequsites.
True. As long as you know that the prerequisites are the only thing stopping you from doing it. If you wanted to you can do a 200 level unit in your first semester of uni (on the assumption it had no prerequisites).... in practice you'd probably be in for a bit of a shock, though!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
As far as i know, the actual sheets have "academic signature if more than 12 cp is being undertaken" on the timetable/subject sheets.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Skittled said:
err...you can do electives any time you like. There's no set order as to when you do your required units or electives. The required units simply must be done before you can graduate with that degree.
No i meant, its prob better it to get them out of way, as they maybe prerequisites for higher level units, depends on ur course.
mm... I keep hearing this but I've never found an official line -- have you got this from somewhere specific (Not questioning, just curious)? There's an official maximum of 14cp/semester -- any more than this you need to get academic approval to show you're capable of taking more than that, so 4 units (roughly 12cp) is generally the largest number of units you can do without approval... which might be why eveyrone does it, which in turn may be why it's 'recommended'. That said, they seem to calculate the length of the degree based on 12cp/4units per semester, so obviously that's an implied recommendation...
You need academic approval to do more than 14cp, but the lady at the preenrolment session said, 12 cp is recommened, and over that isnt a gud idea.

Um, just wandering if its is 14cp, then can i do a yearly unit stat 170, and 4 units semester one (totally 13 for that semester), and 4 units in the second semester (totally 13 for that semester), i.e 4.5 subjects per semester?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You could, but as others have found doing yearly units is a real drag

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Hey Jamie, what psych electives are you doing??

I'm doing psychopathology and social; Steve's doing social and is undecided about his other one. I dont mind the sound of personality, but am all full in second semester.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)