The "What are these units like?" thread for 2006 (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
HotShot said:
Um, just wandering if its is 14cp, then can i do a yearly unit stat 170, and 4 units semester one (totally 13 for that semester), and 4 units in the second semester (totally 13 for that semester), i.e 4.5 subjects per semester?
First, how would the breakdown of cp be in that situation? Most subjects are 3 cp which means you would most likeyl have 4 x 3cp + 1 x 2cp = 14cp

if not - yes, but you will still find it a lot of work.
4 subjects, 3x 3cp + 1 x 4 cp = 13 cp is LESS work than
5 subjects, 2 x 2cp + 3 x 3 cp = 13 cp

CieL

HSC
hm.. would it be better to make your lectures/tutes/etc one after the other or space them out?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
imo - one after the other, with a break for lunch and dinner.

you will find that if they are not one after the other you will waste a lot of time and spend a lot of time at uni that you could be spending elsewhere. you will also find that sometimes lectures or tutes might finish early or start late so you will have a bit of a break anyway. of course there will be the classes that finish late every week which are situated on the other side of campus from your next class, making you late for the second class every week but i think that is better than having a 1hr break.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
MaryJane said:
Hey Jamie, what psych electives are you doing??

I'm doing psychopathology and social; Steve's doing social and is undecided about his other one. I dont mind the sound of personality, but am all full in second semester.
hey MJ. Ive been thinking about what electives to do for a long time, and i ahev changed my mind several times..

so far (and likely to stay this way):

Psy331: design and stats III
psy318: Adult development and ageing
psy306: psychopathology

psy332: principles of psych assessment
psy321: neuropsychology
psy334: social psych II: relationships (so much for 234 being airy fairy!!!!!lol)

There are about 5 others that i am interested in (perception, organisational psych, personality), but i made these choices because in 4th year when i have to write a major thesis (assuming i get into honours for starters!!!), i really doubt i am capable of doing a major work on a 'sciency' psych topic, ever though i like stuff like perception and neuropsychology. Thats why i picked units like psy318 and psy334, so i will have good background info on social and developmetnal issues (which is likely to be the topic of my 4th year big essay) while still having cool subjects like psy306 and psy321 which im really interested in. I was seriosuly considering doing organisational psych, but it doesnt really go with my other stuff.

I really wish i could pick more units though!!! Oh, and i went to the coop shop. There are TWO texts for psychopathology (104$ and 40$)- one is a big textbook and the other is a smaller interesting text on case studies in abnormal psychology. There is ONE text on psy331: design and stat and that is 104$ aswell. Just in case you and steve needed to know how much youll be spending for books if you do these units too!

BTW: see you and steve Next Wednesday for the mentor planning day? Are we suppose to have done something for that day? i.e. plan something? lol, because i ahvent thought about anything yet!

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
CieL said:
hm.. would it be better to make your lectures/tutes/etc one after the other or space them out?
Well unlike some others, I enjoy an hour's break between classes... Gives you time to do some final reading, printing, food, coffee, beer, etc. But you don't wanna space them out too much. Ofcourse people who don't have any/many uni friends tend not to like breaks. Not that I'm saying this is you or anything. :)

I found it best to minimise the number of days at uni, but not have 5 hours back to back or something ridiculous like that.

And if you have a choice, I'd recommend tutes before your lecture in the week for the particular subject. The tutes cover the previous week's material so it's good to get that weeks stuff out of the way before the next lecture.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
There are about 5 others that i am interested in (perception, organisational psych, personality), but i made these choices because in 4th year when i have to write a major thesis (assuming i get into honours for starters!!!), i really doubt i am capable of doing a major work on a 'sciency' psych topic, ever though i like stuff like perception and neuropsychology. Thats why i picked units like psy318 and psy334, so i will have good background info on social and developmetnal issues (which is likely to be the topic of my 4th year big essay) while still having cool subjects like psy306 and psy321 which im really interested in. I was seriosuly considering doing organisational psych, but it doesnt really go with my other stuff.

I really wish i could pick more units though!!! Oh, and i went to the coop shop. There are TWO texts for psychopathology (104$ and 40$)- one is a big textbook and the other is a smaller interesting text on case studies in abnormal psychology. There is ONE text on psy331: design and stat and that is 104$ aswell. Just in case you and steve needed to know how much youll be spending for books if you do these units too!

BTW: see you and steve Next Wednesday for the mentor planning day? Are we suppose to have done something for that day? i.e. plan something? lol, because i ahvent thought about anything yet!
Looks like we'll be buddies in psychopathology! And then again in social, but Steve will be joining us! :D I'll go to Coop today, I went the other day but it wasnt up... Is it on the window??

Yeah, with the mentoring day next week we have to organise our training day for the mentors... I havent thought about it either, but we have a good group (5 nice, lovely people!), so I think we'll be fine. However, I do vote that we do not do any of those terrible "getting to know you" games.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
MaryJane said:
Looks like we'll be buddies in psychopathology! And then again in social, but Steve will be joining us! :D I'll go to Coop today, I went the other day but it wasnt up... Is it on the window??

Yeah, with the mentoring day next week we have to organise our training day for the mentors... I havent thought about it either, but we have a good group (5 nice, lovely people!), so I think we'll be fine. However, I do vote that we do not do any of those terrible "getting to know you" games.
No, there is no list on the window you have to go and ask a guy at the back for the details, and it is really off-putting, i asked questions but when i was off the line and thought of more important questions (like is it recommended or a actual text), i didnt want to get back on the line. i just will end up waiting until the tart of the semester.

No 'getting to know you' games!!!! :O Im more worried about the walk around the uni, which has now become a fortress maze with all the building going on. Last time i saw them they were digging really big holes in the concrete next to the library... with all this chaos across the uni, do you think the builders are improvising as they go along?? :)

CieL

HSC
thanks for your opinions and advice =]

lmnopq

HSC
A bit stupid of me to be asking about my units after i've enrolled in them..

Anth 106
Anth 150
Ling 110
Mktg 101

What is the material like (hard, easy, boring) Any advice on assessments?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Anth106 is fantastic! Its so interesting. The reading was ok when I did it two years ago, a lot less than I get with psych or law, but my friend found it pretty full-on. So, are you a bookworm? :p The assessment is just an essay and then the final exam are 5 short essays or something like that, which are always easy to bullshit through. We didnt have tutes either, which was great, I dont know whether the new convenor (Kristen or whatever her name is) has still kept that structure. You will have tutes in Anth150 though. And, apparently, Anth150 is a more academic subject, rather than just nice, interesting facts you can take away with you.

Skittled did Mktg101, as did Glitterfairy, so they can probably give you a better impression of it. But from what I gathered from hearsay is that its pretty obvious, pretty boring, long lectures, but really easy to do well in! :)

HSC
N/A
Marketing is one of the easiest and funnest courses I've ever done. As mentioned above lectures can get boring, but generally only because they go on for so long - the lecturers themselves are pretty cool and make an active effort to make it interesting (well of course! They're marketers!). Exam and assessments are easy too.

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
lmnopq said:
A bit stupid of me to be asking about my units after i've enrolled in them..

Anth 106
Anth 150
Ling 110
Mktg 101

What is the material like (hard, easy, boring) Any advice on assessments?
I loved ling110. It was a really great, interesting unit. The work wasn't too hard and the lecturers were always really keen to make the work and lectures interesting. There aren't any course notes in this unit - just a textbook, which is about $69 and you only read a couple of pages - you might as well go to the library and photocopy the pages (the textbook is in reserve section of the lib).

CieL

HSC
oooOoo.. Inoue Izumi taught me 3u Jap in HS.. he's some linguistics phd wannabe

he's good tho =]

lmnopq

HSC
so i'm good to go... thanks people, i really appreciate your comments

CieL

HSC
Out of ACST101, BBA103, STAT170, PSY104.. which units will i be needing books for?

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
CieL said:
Out of ACST101, BBA103, STAT170, PSY104.. which units will i be needing books for?
a lot of people dont use their acst101 books...
nor stat170, id get stat170 second hand, and if you feel you're maths is not strong enough get Mathematics of Finance (ACST101), but the lecture notes are pretty good and do the job...

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
PSY104 is Gleitman. Its a good general reference text, its the only text I have ever kept. That said you dont use it much for study... But, as its also used in PSY105, you might as well get it - its a cheap investment.

Plus, the study guide that comes with it (or came with it back in 2004) is great to have - I still use it for assessments!

CieL

HSC
MaryJane said:
PSY104 is Gleitman. Its a good general reference text, its the only text I have ever kept. That said you dont use it much for study... But, as its also used in PSY105, you might as well get it - its a cheap investment.

Plus, the study guide that comes with it (or came with it back in 2004) is great to have - I still use it for assessments!
Went to co-op for PSY104 yesterday.. no new stock!!! @$#%%$^$% Was meant to come in this week.. maybe I'm too early

What a bummer.. and I think I got ripped for my ACST101.. I'm still confused why I purchased a "package".. I think I only needed the finance (grey) one.. and not the crimson one..

**blu_rose**

HSC
well i guess i should have put my questions in this thread earlier, but oh well

i need some advice from anyone and everyone regarding my electices, cuz i am still so uncertain (i have to choose my subjects tomorrow, so i would really appreciate them asap)

as u know i can choose 4 and ive narrows them down to

hist 112
icom 101
ling109
phil134 (ive basically decided not to this one)
phil 137
pol168
soc180

btw im doin communications

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
soc180, icom101, hist112 and pol168 are the ones id recommend if you're planning to do Media.

SOC examines popular culture which is essential for any media person.
ICOM examines international diplomacy and protocols which is great for international stuff.
HIST112 forces you to think in a historical/'official' sort of way, as well as opening you up to varying factors and other styles of writing.
POL168 would be useful if you ever wanted/needed to do political journalism.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)