• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (30 Viewers)

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
But Milocole, are you still working for Woolies?
Well I work for BigW, but I thought if woolies mail them out, I presume BigW would be mailed out also. I know Coles posts their's out, thats all....

I just need the money to buy one of these $850 return USA airfares at the moment!

jirwin

HSC
Well I work for BigW, but I thought if woolies mail them out, I presume BigW would be mailed out also. I know Coles posts their's out, thats all....

I just need the money to buy one of these $850 return USA airfares at the moment!
I work at Coles - mine wasn't posted out last year, I was randomly given it one shift but I had to sign for it though. I haven't been at work this financial year to receive it yet, so I'm not sure - I'm back to work tomorrow and hoping I receive it then.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
I work at Coles - mine wasn't posted out last year, I was randomly given it one shift but I had to sign for it though. I haven't been at work this financial year to receive it yet, so I'm not sure - I'm back to work tomorrow and hoping I receive it then.
I worked at Coles for a total of 3 months this financial year and I got it in the mail yesterday. I was kind of dreading going in there to get it so I am happy.

jirwin

HSC
I worked at Coles for a total of 3 months this financial year and I got it in the mail yesterday. I was kind of dreading going in there to get it so I am happy.
That may be because you no longer work for Coles :) Why'd you quit?

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Why'd you quit?
Why?, cause they are a shit company to work for due to:
-Pathetic Hours, they are cheap!. I got 4 hours a week, as did most others. I asked for a rise but it wont happen they said. I felt privleged one week to actially get a Sunday shift, but then they cancelled due to the fact that it was a hot day and people wont shop as they say... Then they go and hire another group of 10 or so 15 year olds that were slow as cows and take away my hours. I get 28 hours at Big W, plus I am part time so my job is safe for the moment and I at least know I can budget knowing my weekly wage..Plus its a decent place to work at for the moment..and easy. And if I want extra hours, there is always something to do like Recovery, Nightfill etc..
-Store Manager was an arsehole. He didn't do anything but fill grocery, and nobody else liked him either! People avoided him and changed their hours to when he was not there. Enough said
-The work itself sucked. They expected me to do 1 Dairy cage in 35 minutes. Bullshit...Plus stacking shelves at a supermarket is boring.
-To many people worked there that boss you around. You know the ones that are 20 year old dropouts who are no higher than you yet they speak to you like babies and boss you around and act like Managers. Not to me they wont!

Alot of others are too scared to quit so I just told them to fuckoff and never went back. I have never been happier :haha:

Harry778

HSC
Anyone know if there is a list of upcoming store refurbishments, that we can view? With dates and stuff. I cannot stand the old format, its soooo old and scummy looking. Especially after a few years, my store looks really tired lol.

HSC
-To many people worked there that boss you around. You know the ones that are 20 year old dropouts who are no higher than you yet they speak to you like babies and boss you around and act like Managers. Not to me they wont!
OMG! There's a guy at my store just like this! He's the same age as me, a fulltime perishables assistant, but claims to be perishables 2IC (he's not). He got transferred here from another store where he was a FE sup but when he came to our store everyone was like, no fricken way.

So in reality, when he's on FE for express alerts, I'm higher up than him. But he thinks he's so much more special because he's full time and I'm casual.
Uh, no.

jirwin

HSC
Why?, cause they are a shit company to work for due to:
-Pathetic Hours, they are cheap!. I got 4 hours a week, as did most others. I asked for a rise but it wont happen they said. I felt privleged one week to actially get a Sunday shift, but then they cancelled due to the fact that it was a hot day and people wont shop as they say... Then they go and hire another group of 10 or so 15 year olds that were slow as cows and take away my hours. I get 28 hours at Big W, plus I am part time so my job is safe for the moment and I at least know I can budget knowing my weekly wage..Plus its a decent place to work at for the moment..and easy. And if I want extra hours, there is always something to do like Recovery, Nightfill etc..
-Store Manager was an arsehole. He didn't do anything but fill grocery, and nobody else liked him either! People avoided him and changed their hours to when he was not there. Enough said
-The work itself sucked. They expected me to do 1 Dairy cage in 35 minutes. Bullshit...Plus stacking shelves at a supermarket is boring.

Alot of others are too scared to quit so I just told them to fuckoff and never went back. I have never been happier :haha:
Wow, I don't experience anything like that at my store. I pretty much get an average of 12hrs a week which is what I want. Some weeks is lower but that seems to be rare and I just use it as an opportunity to catch up on study. They recently closed down 'preso' so all the 15yr olds who used to make the shelves look nice of a night got moved to Service. Haven't been at work to experience much reduction in hours because of this though - I have 8hrs this week.

I work on Service so never had the ridiculous deadlines on stocking but standing in the one spot for 4 hours sucks completely!

I don't see our store manager do much at all in terms of the store, stock, serving etc - he is mostly out the back in his office when I'm there, although I hate when he stands at the service desk for long periods just staring/watching us service assistants - quite freaky!

HSC
In my experience though, age doesn't seem to determine who gets what hours. I've only EVER heard this comment from my manager once, when I (as a 17yo casual) wanted to swap my 8 hour shift with the 5 hour shift of a 16yo parttimer.

We have a lot of adult casuals, and although they were hired because they could work weekdays and stuff, on the weekends they get the same, if not more hours as the 15 year olds.

Is my experience uncommon?

jirwin

HSC
In my experience though, age doesn't seem to determine who gets what hours. I've only EVER heard this comment from my manager once, when I (as a 17yo casual) wanted to swap my 8 hour shift with the 5 hour shift of a 16yo parttimer.

We have a lot of adult casuals, and although they were hired because they could work weekdays and stuff, on the weekends they get the same, if not more hours as the 15 year olds.

Is my experience uncommon?
Nah, it's the same at my work actually, hence why I haven't really experienced a reduction in hours because of all the new young casuals.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
in my store:

Public Holidays/Sundays -> Young people win out
Every other day -> Experience and Availability tends to trump age.

Although they still dont like swapping a 15yr old PPT with a 21 yr old casual, fair enough considering there's ike a $9ph difference there.

Harry778

HSC
Hmmm? What to take? More cash office shifts or more Supervision? They offered me both.

I'm thinking Cash Office cos front end is an ass to work in. Busssy non stop, and always under forecast besides saturdays :(

And once again, Refurbishment has been put back :mad: !!!!!
No self serve for a while..

Might transfer back to my old store. Seriously, dont care about the drive!

jirwin

HSC
in my store:

Public Holidays/Sundays -> Young people win out
Every other day -> Experience and Availability tends to trump age.

Although they still dont like swapping a 15yr old PPT with a 21 yr old casual, fair enough considering there's ike a $9ph difference there.
Public Holidays seem be the only thing where age matters - always a note on the roster saying 'only call in juniors if needed'.

LIQR7

HSC
N/A
Anyone know if there is a list of upcoming store refurbishments, that we can view? With dates and stuff. I cannot stand the old format, its soooo old and scummy looking. Especially after a few years, my store looks really tired lol.
I know where, go pay $250p/h to some wizard and they can look into the ball to see where the W symbol falls, that will be where the next referb will be :) bwgbwhahaha

sosato

HSC
Refurbishment and few words..

My store is going through refurbishment now, seems they are cutting hours.. is it really what happens?
I've been working there for almost 1 month, and ever since I started working, they only give me 1-2 shifts a week. Next week I'll have only 1 shift, and working in checkouts which is not my actual position (longlife assistant).
Seems they do whatever they want, there's no respect for staff, at least for me. I'm pissed off, everything is so wrong. My job description said it'd be permanent part-time and I signed a paper saying I was PT but when I started, I had no roster with regular shifts, my manager said I was casual for the 1st 3 months; then they only give 1-2 shifts/week; when my manager interviewed me, I said I wanted to work as much as I could (job description said 20-30hrs/wk), he said he didnt have many hours but would give me few shifts in checkouts but what's happening now is that this week I have 4 shifts in checkouts and only 1 in groceries! I wonder if they will change me to work in checkouts.. I don't mind but at least they should let me know. Old staff is nasty, they ignore me, give me orders. I didnt have training to work in checkouts, just watched someone working for a couple of minutes, and every time I had to ask them how to do some stuff, they looked at me like if I was an idiot! I should have said I was there to help them and if they didnt want me to learn how to work properly, then go to hell!
I was wondering if it's going to be like that for a while, with not enough hours.. cos else I will look for another job (was wondering if it's what they want me to do). I just wanted a decent job where I could save up some money and make friends..

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Refurbishment and few words..

from what i gather budgets are super tight at the moment, this may account for the lack of shifts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 30)