• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (25 Viewers)

HSC
Re: Refurbishment and few words..

Seeing as we recently had the discussion of good supervisors v suitable supervisors.

My store has been trialling weeknight trade til 9pm - which so far this week had been a disaster, with no customers past about 7pm. Tonight though, it was much more busy. Myself and my 3 operators had a constant stream of customers, I had one on mains, one on mains/express, one on express/smokeshop, and myself on express and trying to work through a massive list of stuff to do.

Seriously, I need to learn to manage my time when supervising and learn to take it all one task at a time, and not focus so much on the massive list.

Help - maybe I'm actually a crap supervisor?

:(

sosato

HSC

Seeing as we recently had the discussion of good supervisors v suitable supervisors.

My store has been trialling weeknight trade til 9pm - which so far this week had been a disaster, with no customers past about 7pm. Tonight though, it was much more busy. Myself and my 3 operators had a constant stream of customers, I had one on mains, one on mains/express, one on express/smokeshop, and myself on express and trying to work through a massive list of stuff to do.

Seriously, I need to learn to manage my time when supervising and learn to take it all one task at a time, and not focus so much on the massive list.

Oh till 9pm? my store is open till midnight 7 days/week but due to refurbishment, we now close at 11pm and is always busy, incredible, from the time we are open (7.30am) till we are closed. I enjoy working in checkouts as the time goes by quickly as we are very busy and dont have time to breath, really, but I still find time to chat with customers and be friendly. And when I work as longlife assistant (my actual position), they always call me to help them out in checkouts.
I wouldnt mind swapping to checkouts as it seems they need more staff and I can get more hours but not sure how it works.. this week my name was in the roster but as I had 4 shifts in checkouts so it said I would be working in a different dept; I checked my roster for next week and my name wasnt there, but I found my name in the Front end roster as if I was hired as a checkout chick, if they want me to work in different job shouldnt they ask me first or they have the right to do whatever they want? if I accept that, then would I need to sign a different contract? Now I have no clue if Im still working as a longlife assistant or in the front end.. I will have to ask my manager

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
My store is getting re-refurbished sometime in the next year. We were on of the first stores in Australia to get refurbed (some reward for getting store of the year) and now we get to be re-refurbed. Nothing major, the floors change to wood, we get self-serve checkouts, new logos etc.

Perth trading hours are crazy. It must be ridiculously busy on weekends.

Harry778

HSC
Harry, why did you change stores when u clearly hate the new one.
We moved and my old one is like an hours drive away lol. But I dont think I really care about that anyways now. I could just move back in with my mum, she's like around the corner from it..

Craven

HSC
There's a Big W opening in our shopping centre soon... has anyone jumped ship from supermarket to Big W? Better/worse? I'm interested... I imagine office cashier and service manager roles would be pretty similar?

mlee72

HSC
There's a Big W opening in our shopping centre soon... has anyone jumped ship from supermarket to Big W? Better/worse? I'm interested... I imagine office cashier and service manager roles would be pretty similar?

I think it service manager would be pretty different, and so would cash office IF your store has already tranfered to project pheonix

HSC
Perth trading hours are crazy. It must be ridiculously busy on weekends.
I imagine they'd be much worse in other Perth stores. The store I work in is classed as being in a tourist district, which is ridiculous considering I would never want to be a tourist there. Because of this, we are able to open sundays and late night on school holidays - which other stores can't do. During Sunday trading, this takes a lot of pressure off our Saturday afternoons.

Our Saturdays are never as bad as they used to be, but I think thats because another store near us have opened in the last three years. Also because I always remember it from an operators perspective, being dumped on a main and not getting lunch til 3pm on a 9-5.30 shift. Being a supervisor/cash office person/tickets person is so much better :haha:

yoddle

is cool
HSC

No, I don't think so.
It just means your anxious to get things done - i always over-task myself as well. I think the main symptom of bad supervising is when the operators have to yell and tell you to open more registers. That happened to me once and i got really peeved with the guy, but only because I felt incompetent. Also when you're really behind in breaks or there are no trolleys. Good sign is you get along well with the operators and gross-ery staff.

Speaking of service, I was sifting through stuff in the lunch room and found this huge booklet that was compiled by a meeting of all the area managers in region 4 with a raft of new service 'Quick Wins', which included not having more than one trolley being served and one waiting at any time on a big register, and same on express (MASSIVE LOL AT THAT), and that if you aren't serving you should be standing at the end of your register 'inviting customers to be served'. I throw my head back and I lol at management's total unawares of reality.
BUT now if someone doesn't come for Service 20s we write them in the supervisors book and they get a written warning ... hot!

At my store they load all the group certificates into one of those tennis ball practice machines and the cash office staff shoot them at you while on register, its so funny.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

anybody work at woolworths Umina, your getting our store manager, hehehe

yoddle

is cool
HSC
A lot of service 20s in my store are frivolous - ie getting checkouts demanding more plastic bags. They don't get ignored per se, but grocery members are say less than excited to answer them.
Yes once i called an express alert and asked the staff who responded to go upstairs and make me a coffee.

Craven

HSC
we call people by name, it makes it harder for them to ignore
That doesn't phase some of our staff members... we usually have to get the duty/store manager to call them for us to get them to come down!

HSC

BUT now if someone doesn't come for Service 20s we write them in the supervisors book and they get a written warning ... hot!
Even as someone who also works on the floor, I like the sound of this. My store determines who in grocery gets sunday shifts by how willing they are to help out checkouts.

But I have read some of these ideas, especially the no more than two waiting in express. On saturday we have five express lanes open, and three people waiting combined, and a supervisor got yelled at by a passing manager for not serving. What a waste.

grobsh

HSC

No, I don't think so.
It just means your anxious to get things done - i always over-task myself as well. I think the main symptom of bad supervising is when the operators have to yell and tell you to open more registers. That happened to me once and i got really peeved with the guy, but only because I felt incompetent. Also when you're really behind in breaks or there are no trolleys. Good sign is you get along well with the operators and gross-ery staff.

Speaking of service, I was sifting through stuff in the lunch room and found this huge booklet that was compiled by a meeting of all the area managers in region 4 with a raft of new service 'Quick Wins', which included not having more than one trolley being served and one waiting at any time on a big register, and same on express (MASSIVE LOL AT THAT), and that if you aren't serving you should be standing at the end of your register 'inviting customers to be served'. I throw my head back and I lol at management's total unawares of reality.

At my store they load all the group certificates into one of those tennis ball practice machines and the cash office staff shoot them at you while on register, its so funny.
This is across all regions. Marty's latest focus, customer service.

Craven

HSC

On saturday we have five express lanes open, and three people waiting combined, and a supervisor got yelled at by a passing manager for not serving. What a waste.
Ah, I get yelled at by my managers FOR serving. The Service manager is not allowed to operate a register ever! I feel a bit useless at times! :S

HSC

Ah, I get yelled at by my managers FOR serving. The Service manager is not allowed to operate a register ever! I feel a bit useless at times! :S
We have the staggered type express lanes so its easy to serve one or two people then jump off.
But last night the 2IC decided that noone needed to be serving on express. I was snapping a till in there while there was still 3 or 4 people waiting, so she jumps off. And then yelled at me when I was trying to remind her. Fricken idiot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 25)